Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Galactic News Network
Login

Lt. Commander
Jack Emmert, chief creative officer of Cryptic Studios, was interviewed by the Associated Press about Cryptic's plans for Star Trek Online:
"You'll venture through space exploring new civilizations and life-forms," said Emmert. "You'll also beam down to planets and have adventures inside your ship. It's a galactic-wide game. There's going to be tons of space to investigate. We have a great system for exploration, which will allow for almost infinite possibilities."
Read more here!
Lt. Commander
# 2
08-08-2008, 12:20 PM
So can we name our new species that we create? What if other players want to make one as well for RP reasons, will there be a template of some sort?
Lt. Commander
# 3
08-08-2008, 12:20 PM
*drags in luggage from the other thread* RIGHT! Where were we?

Oh yeah.

STUPIDLY excited for the footage, guys. I'm especially thrilled to hear the emphasis you've put on exploration, and the freedom we'll have in creating our characters.

Party on, devs.
Lt. Commander
# 4
08-08-2008, 12:21 PM
as i said in another thread:

cons
  • -as the captain of a small Starfleet or Klingon Empire ship (this one being a possible con depending on what happens with it)
    (
    -There might be a ship called Enterprise flying around, but it's probably not the same ship anymore

pros
  • -Expect to see oldies like Vulcan and Bajor but also fan favorites like Andoria and Qo'noS

-They can customize their characters from pre-existing "Trek" species from Klingons to Gorn and can create entirely new alien races

players can increase in rank and gain larger vessels and more crew.

Because the game will be set a few generations following the last "Trek" film, players shouldn't expect to run into James T. Kirk or Jean-Luc Picard.

so hardened people should know that a release date might be closer than they think."

some really good stuff there, and now it seems that we will be in control of a ship (AKA like Eve) but also have NPC's to level up and such which could be dissapointing
Lt. Commander
# 5
08-08-2008, 12:22 PM
The fact that we get to make our own races is amazing!

And that now also confirms Gorn are in the game.

So far this game isnt looking to bad, it doesnt look like the Trek Game we all wanted it to be just yet. I think with time and money the devs can make it that way though.

Very excited about being able to adventure in my won ship though!

Just hope I can have friends in the ship too!

-Jive
Lt. Commander
# 6
08-08-2008, 12:25 PM
Thanks Kestrel.
I might be running into you next Friday, I'm hoping you're bringing some CO Tees to trade for some fine ERDs
Lt. Commander
# 7
08-08-2008, 12:26 PM
Not gonna repost my commentary from the other thread, except for this snippet, which itself was a re-iteration:

Quote:
Exploration, both in space and on planets. The Prime Directive getting bent and broken constantly. James T. Kirk Fight music(da-dun-da-DA DA DA). Skimming the Neutral Zone. Convincing the Klingons that I'm worthy of respect. Humanitarian aid missions. First contact. Evaluating planets for Federation membership. Space anomalies. Transporter and Holodeck accidents. Red Shirts standing alone and dying. Bajor, Vulcan, Andor, and so on. The Kobiyashi Maru. Wormholes. Science experiments gone awry. Sneaky warring planets managing to get me involved in conflicts. Q causing me trouble once in a blue moon. Honor duels as a Klingon. Honor duels WITH a klingon as a Starfleet officer. Goofing off in Ten Forward(not that all ship's lounges are Deck ten, bow section, but you get the point!). Archeological digs. Shooting other ships once in a while. A warp button marked "Engage". Akiras and Sovvies and Connies and Mirandas and Defiants and Steamrunners.
this is what the essence of Trek is to me. Not PC Crews, or SFC3-style flight, or anything else. As long as the gameplay allows for all these things, AND covers what makes an MMOG an MMOG, I'll be thrilled, so it's looking good for me.

...that said, i still want to be able to invite friends to beam over to my ship to hang out or have a party in the lounge, without having a mission-in-my-ship going on to do it. REMEMBER THE SOCIAL TOYS!
Lt. Commander
# 8
08-08-2008, 12:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas45 View Post
Please don't let us be able to make a ***** Race, please!

The slang words for the filtered word is ****, **** etc.
Remember the TOS race that were single celled frisbees that would smack you on the back, and how could my plate of Spaghetti race not look a bit like a Tholian?

With news of the Gorn, I'm expecting they'll include some of my favorites, like the Horta
This makes me very pleased
Lt. Commander
# 9
08-08-2008, 12:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiveturkey126 View Post
So far this game isnt looking to bad, it doesnt look like the Trek Game we all wanted it to be just yet. I think with time and money the devs can make it that way though.
I just want to note, if I may wax philosophical a moment, that sometimes, when we don't get the game we want, we find the game we never knew we really wanted.
Lt. Commander
# 10
08-08-2008, 12:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KO_Gilligan View Post
Remember the TOS race that were single celled frisbees that would smack you on the back, and how could my plate of Spaghetti race not look a bit like a Tholian?
oh god...please dont let the legs go over "3" in numbers Falin will have a field day if you can haha