Starfleet Veteran
I just upgraded to wine 1.5.28 and now after over an hour and a half the game finally starts! Why does it take so long and why is game play so slug slow!? It works ok and the graphics are great in WindowsVista. In Kubutu, I had to switch to xorg edgers xcrack videeo driver because the Ubuntu Intel driver dosn't work properly with the Intel GMA 45 chip.
Ensign
# 532
05-01-2013, 07:54 AM
@aarons9

Thank you for your help,

I play STO using POL and WINE also.
I found that the first STO frendly WINE version is 1.5.15 (the one I used for several months)
But AA and all the goodies are only accessible with wine 1.5.20+ Except that it always crashed after half an hour or so. I set shadows to low and it seems to work. I do agree with you that it is a wine issue.
I tried Crossover too, it works fine, thay may have patched wine so that it is very responsive when entering a new zone. But wine is ver 1.5.15 there to.

Thanks again, keep us posted if you find a solution to activate shadows.

O-p

edit: finally, after one hour it crashes :-(
Config:

AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 955 Processor ? 4
4 GB Ram
GeForce GTS 450/PCIe/SSE2
Ubuntu 13.04 64bits

Last edited by oswaldpp; 05-01-2013 at 08:26 AM.
Starfleet Veteran
# 533
05-20-2013, 01:38 PM
I got working easily using playonlinux. There is no script but just tell it to install manully and as long as you already have STO setup ffile then just tell playonlinux to run that then run the game and enjoy. It seems to always take 8 to 10 minutes after you click engage so you have to re log, but it runs great. You have to click patch the first time but after that it will normaly patch automatically. I am all set for tomorrows launch of LOR!

I will be able to march beneath the Raptors wings in a few hours on Holodeck and Tribble! Only on Tribble right now.

Last edited by randolf2; 05-23-2013 at 12:30 PM.
Starfleet Veteran
Using kubuntu rareing ringtail, playonlinux latesst veersion (I cant bring it up while STO is running to check the version) and wine 1.5.18.
It took about 15 minutes to get to character selection. Not bad for the third day after the LOR expansion launched.
Empress Sela, was assimulated by the Borg drone named Tasa Yar!
Starfleet Veteran
# 535 We are the Borg (read Tux)!
05-23-2013, 02:47 PM
All Windows users will be assimulated! Resistance is futile! Your distintiveness will not be added to our own because quite Frankly Windows is old school and very very weak. Now lower your fire walls and prepare your hard drives for Kubuntu Raring Ringtail installation or whatever distro the tux drone is using that day!
Ensign
# 536 STO on Steam Linux
06-07-2013, 01:41 PM
I heard that Steam is now on Linux. Ive never used it, but I am curious. Is STO playable on Linux via Steam?? Is that a thing?

If not is that something that is likely in the future? It would be nice to play via an authorized platform, instead of using wine.

(sorry for noob question)
Starfleet Veteran
# 537
06-25-2013, 04:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by idashla View Post
I heard that Steam is now on Linux. Ive never used it, but I am curious. Is STO playable on Linux via Steam?? Is that a thing?

If not is that something that is likely in the future? It would be nice to play via an authorized platform, instead of using wine.

(sorry for noob question)
STO is avalible on Steam for Windows but not yet on Steam for Linux but hopefully it will be eventually since so many players use Steam for windows via Linux > wine.
Career Officer
# 538 How to ???
07-01-2013, 07:50 PM
I'm using ubuntu 13.04, how do I get this to work?

I have the newest wine but have never gotten wine to work for anything except ie 8 recently.

Does anyone have an up to date star tot finish for this? I want to solidify my move away from windows and this game is my ticket if I can get it to work. Any help would be glorious!
Career Officer
# 539
07-01-2013, 10:28 PM
I take ^ back....

Finally got it working up to loading screen, was so happy to see the nice borg expansion loading screen. Now about that load time, does anyone know how to shorting that to something reasonable?

13.04 x64 ubuntu
wine 1.6rc4
using ie8 as my only extra instal via winetricks and i believe everything is set to windows xp thus far.
Starfleet Veteran
# 540
07-07-2013, 11:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecthaelion View Post
I take ^ back....

Finally got it working up to loading screen, was so happy to see the nice borg expansion loading screen. Now about that load time, does anyone know how to shorting that to something reasonable?

13.04 x64 ubuntu
wine 1.6rc4
using ie8 as my only extra instal via winetricks and i believe everything is set to windows xp thus far.
It takes 20 minutes or longer to Load for me!
Closed Thread