Republic Veteran
# 61
06-11-2013, 12:35 PM
It's life, Jim... and exactly as we predicted it was going to be! Yes, captains, our site is now back! We wish to thank all of you for your patience during this unforeseen outage, and wish to assure you that the Betazed on the crew has been sent off for re-tuning.
Community Moderator
# 62
06-11-2013, 12:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jexsamx View Post
And time spent on, say, bugfixes, is time not spent on endgame content. And time spent on endgame content is time not spent on gameplay balance passes. And time spent on balance passes is time not spent on crafting. And time spent on crafting is time not spent on exploration. And so on, and so forth, until you're left with the inevitable truth that no matter where you put the time now, someplace else always needs it too.

Time spent anywhere is time not spent on something else. This is obvious. The question is, what needs that time, when does it need it, and what can be done around it by other people in other departments. For instance, a tutorial revamp does not necessarily require costume guys or all of your bugfix guys, so these things can go on alongside the revamp.

The fact is, the Fed tutorial has every reason to be brought up to par with at least the new KDF tutorial. It's a matter of quality presentation as much as any other thing they could go fix, and this is the one new players are most likely to notice being bad out of the gate. So, it needs to be attended to, if not necessarily before more important things like exploration and crafting.
And, in fact, the KDF tutorial was redone by somebody who doesn't even normally work for Cryptic, and was brought in on a contract basis to do that work; Matt "Positron" Miller, formerly in charge of City of Heroes after the Paragon/Cryptic split.

I'm sure there was some small amount of resources needed to support Matt's fantastic work, but it appears to me from outside looking in that most of that stuff is using the new tools that were being added for this release anyway. I think the story may even have been based on notes Gozer left.
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online Forums. My views do not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment.
If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a 'forums and website' support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Follow me: Twitter,Google
Career Officer
# 63
06-11-2013, 02:02 PM
Hi Captains!! Thanks for your patience as we rectified the server issues. The Podcast/Interview is now available for download again. Thanks!
Captain
# 64
06-11-2013, 07:05 PM
Starfleet Veteran
# 65
06-11-2013, 10:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwebranflakes View Post
New players do (and you should, too). We only have one chance at a first impression, and if someone can't get through the tutorial because they are confused or do not enjoy their experience during it, the chances of them continuing to play is quite low.

New players who complete the tutorial and continue to play from there equates to growth for the game -- growth leads to new content, systems, ships, costumes, etc.; more expansions; more seasons; and a long, healthy life for the game.

A strong tutorial, like the new Romulan and Klingon tutorial, for the Federation will only lead to what I mentioned above, and I think we can all agree we would love for much more of it.

So, who cares about the tutorial? We all should

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
Ugh for once I actually agree with breakfast cereal here.. I'm gonna have to get out the ascii art to get myself back on track... I feel so dirty...

***Disenchanted***
Real Join Date: Monday, 17 May 2010
Republic Veteran
# 66
06-12-2013, 04:12 AM
Summary

They are working on some new "Duty officer thing", they may bring the Tuffli Class Freighter back for that.

Account Based Reputation: Doesn't believe they will ever make it Account Bound, but there may be other solutions to alleviate the amount of effort needed.

Account Based Lobi: Not a snowballs chance in "insert place of choice".

GalX/DD turn rate adjustments: Up to Geko.

Ship Crew Mechanic revamp: Up to Geko.

Picard Maneuver added: Up to Geko.

The Foundry:
Waiting for Neverwinter launch, after they launch STO team is going to be looking to port as many of the NW foundry features as possible back to STO. Might be looking at that for next Season. Programmer time have been scheduled to see what can be brought back to STO.

Duty Officer System
"Making the biggest investment to DOFF system for the next season". "Really make DOFF a much more compelling and deep part of the game".

Looking at adding Exchange, Mail, DOFF system, Fleet Holdings and Reputation to the Gateway. Sticking with web interface for now (No mobile app planned).

Crafting. Would like to dust off crafting proposals and take a good look at crafting and decide what it is supposed to be for Season 9.

More holdings on the schedule after the Dilithium Mine.

Additional LTS sub benefits: Coming in Season 10, tied in to existing rewards. Wants to continue to develop features which benefits subscribers because there's quite a few of them.

Working on getting more Star Trek actors to lend voice talents in the game.

Federation tutorial revamp is happening.

Season 9 will be around Season 6 or 7 in scope.
Career Officer
# 67
06-12-2013, 12:08 PM
My one big request as Cryptic looks at a Fed tutorial is to allow tutorial replay.

My feeling on this is that the tutorial (and other, very novel) events could grow out of improving the Gateway Planet into a social zone like New Romulus.

Perhaps an explanation could be made that it's perhaps our one great counterweapon to the Iconian gateways.

It could do for STO what the (IMHO excellent) Caverns of Time did for WoW in terms of opening up content/designs and as opposed to making unrelated time travel missions. I don't think Cryptic or players will ever resist the temptation to go back to the Time Travel well. But by having it centered on a geographic game location, you have one out for keeping it from flooding the game by centralizing all future time travel around a hub.

A key thing IMHO for MMOs should be, "If you want something, you should know where to go to get it."

I'd like the different enemy groups to have distinct loot tables. (Ie. drop their weapon type and reasonable food types.) I'd like for the empires to be geographically distinct (they are as is, really) but also certain plot elements to be geographically distinct.

I think this means probably doing more with Borg space or relocating the Borg content to the mostly empty sector block around Iconia. Ideally, I think each sector block should have a Deferi Invasion/Nukara/New Romulus/Nimbus adventure zone. (Or three if lore supports it. I'd like Earth to get San Francisco, Paris, or New Orleans, Vulcan to get its capital, Risa, a Rura Penthe zone, etc.)

But I really like the idea of Trek story elements getting zones. The planet with all the Time Travel. The planet of the Holodecks. The planet where transporters are buggy. If there's a Trek experience you want, you may be able to get it elsewhere but there's a reliable place for it.
Rihannsu
# 68
06-12-2013, 12:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aexrael View Post
Summary

They are working on some new "Duty officer thing", they may bring the Tuffli Class Freighter back for that.
I wish they would put the Tuffli or something similar in the C-store as an account unlock, or allow you to switch ships outside of the Tuffli or space dock.

Quote:
Account Based Reputation: Doesn't believe they will ever make it Account Bound, but there may be other solutions to alleviate the amount of effort needed.
Believe it when I see it.

[SNIP]

Quote:
Duty Officer System
"Making the biggest investment to DOFF system for the next season". "Really make DOFF a much more compelling and deep part of the game".
Hopefully they do this without adding power creep and such to player ships. I like the general idea of adding your old ships to the DOFF system, something like taking a bridge officer and promoting them to captain, picking a set of DOFFs to be their crew, and sending this ship out on missions. Then if that crew doesn't work, you can try something else. If we are admirals, let us be admirals.

Quote:
Looking at adding Exchange, Mail, DOFF system, Fleet Holdings and Reputation to the Gateway. Sticking with web interface for now (No mobile app planned).
Exchange and DOFF system for the win, as long as you can access your ship officer missions from the portal.

Quote:
Crafting. Would like to dust off crafting proposals and take a good look at crafting and decide what it is supposed to be for Season 9.
Believe it when I see it.

[SNIP]

Quote:
Working on getting more Star Trek actors to lend voice talents in the game.
Personally, I think unless you are willing to go back and redo EVERY mission in the game to be full voice, this is a waste. Voice acting makes sense in a game like SWTOR, where you have massive amounts of story to tell, the game is half movie. Same with most of the big blockbusters. STO, well, IMHO, isn't at that level with its stories, in scope or quality. Yes there are some gems, but yeah overall, not happening for me.

Quote:
Federation tutorial revamp is happening.

Season 9 will be around Season 6 or 7 in scope.
Honestly, I think I'm done with FED alts, so yeah, don't really care about tutorial. And as for scope, I'm hoping that one day they realize that bug hunting and fixes are important.
Joined September 2011
Nouveau riche LTS member