Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > The Art of Star Trek Online
Login

Survivor of Remus
# 11
06-12-2013, 03:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacofangs View Post
Not a lead, but I am an Environment Artist.

Here's the break down of the art team:

Environment: The geometry of the map itself. Ground and Space. Anything you can run around on/in. Buildings, Props, Trees, Rocks, etc. Including Models (Geometry), Textures, Materials (how textures work with each other), Lighting, Skyfiles (what you see in the sky, and how the lighting/fog/etc. works), Simple world animations like opening doors, consoles popping up.
Does this mean you could fix the unattainable Lobi Crystal in the 'Cold Storage' mission of the Breen Featured Episode series? Someone put a giant magma rock over top of where the Lobi Crystal is supposed to be, making it unattainable.

Would be cool if this was solved before the Featured Episodes Rerun ran out, for all us new Romulans
------------------------------------------------------
I don't understand how Cryptic can use someone with a history of anti-gay hate speech to promote STO.
Disheartened member of the Romulan Refugee "faction"
Ashamed that Cryptic wouldn't follow up on thousands of posts of negative feedback.
Lt. Commander
# 12
06-13-2013, 01:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jheinig View Post
That's a content design hook-up. We have the situation under control.

*cracks knuckles*

With the content team dear sir, I have some beef about the suboptimal romulan to kdf integration.
Survivor of Romulus
# 13
06-13-2013, 02:58 AM
Quote:
Not a lead, but I am an Environment Artist.

Here's the break down of the art team:

Environment: The geometry of the map itself. Ground and Space. Anything you can run around on/in. Buildings, Props, Trees, Rocks, etc. Including Models (Geometry), Textures, Materials (how textures work with each other), Lighting, Skyfiles (what you see in the sky, and how the lighting/fog/etc. works), Simple world animations like opening doors, consoles popping up.

Characters: The Geometry, Textures, Materials for anything you can select on the ground. Player Costumes, NPCs, Mobs, etc. Things like consoles that you blow up are a combo between Character and Environment.

Ships: Geometry, Textures, Materials for anything you can select in space. Ships, obviously.

Animation: Animations for almost everything that moves. (Notable exception for simple objects like Doors, see Env above.) Skeletons/Rigs for everything that moves. This is mostly for Players/NPCs/Mobs, but some work is done for Ships and the like. This includes all emotes.

FX: All of the visuals for your ship powers. Any kind of particle system. Anything that moves but doesn't have a solid body. Smoke, Sparks, Snow, Dust, Water Splashes, Waterfalls, etc.

UI: All of the actual Hud/UI work. Includes all icons.

Concept: All of the concept art we use as a basis to create in game art. This is mostly for Characters, Ships and Environments, but could include FX or UI. Sometimes Concept dudes help UI out with icons. Sometimes we use Concept artists for in game work, like paintings that we put on walls, etc.

So, a Taco food item's icon would either be done by UI or Concept most likely.
Translation The Almighty Fanged Taco One is the one we need to give offerings, sacrifices, and unwavering devotion to in hopes of ever getting a Romulan Fleet Base costume for Fed/KDF fleetbases since the False gods decided we weren't worthy.
Captain
# 14
06-13-2013, 07:03 AM
Ok, clarification request here...

The dummies wearing uniforms at Tailors (like at First City and the Romulan Flotilla) or in Fleet Starbases - they're environment objects, but they're wearing outfits that would normally be seen on PCs or NPCs, so would they fall under Characters or Environment art team's area of expertise?
Captain
# 15
06-13-2013, 08:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbomagnus View Post

The dummies wearing uniforms at Tailors (like at First City and the Romulan Flotilla) or in Fleet Starbases - they're environment objects, but they're wearing outfits that would normally be seen on PCs or NPCs, so would they fall under Characters or Environment art team's area of expertise?
My guess is something like this.

The Concept artist design the outfits themselves, appearance wise. The Character artists then add them to the NPCs and PCs as needed or desired by the higher ups. The models themselves though are probably created by Environmental Artist, since they are non-interactable and part of the overall setting.
Career Officer
# 16
06-13-2013, 08:27 AM
Yeah, Taco, crack the whip over those character artists for us! We want costumes
Cryptic Studios Team
# 17
06-13-2013, 01:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbomagnus View Post

There are definitely some grey areas between disciplines. I don't know for sure, but I'm fairly confident that those are just costumes (made by the Character Artists), set to a certain pose, and told to not be targetable.

However, it's also possible that the costume was converted into an environment object. This is kind of a PITA though, so we avoid it where we can.
-The Artist formerly known as Tumerboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightybobcnc View Post
Tacofangs, what is your beef with where's Sulu?
Commander
# 18
06-13-2013, 02:14 PM
And here I thought Taco was a con artist.
Republic Veteran
# 19
06-13-2013, 02:23 PM
Quote:
I have no control over getting your characters back onto the map, that's a CS question.
And Customer Service sucks. Voporak and I cannot log in and they tell him to change instance or Transwarp, but we cannot do that. Where's Scotty when you need him.

[6/24 23:12] [Combat (Self)] Your Thalaron Pulse deals 126254 (48978) Radiation Damage to Tactical Cube. Hehe. Suck it Borg!
[10/8 15:47] [Combat (Self)] Crystalline Entity deals 98082 (147136) Kinetic Damage to you with Warp Core Breach. WUT? I blame Kurland for this and all other problems in STO.
Captain
# 20
06-13-2013, 02:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazurensavulen View Post
And Customer Service sucks. Voporak and I cannot log in and they tell him to change instance or Transwarp, but we cannot do that. Where's Scotty when you need him.
He... well there was this bottle of Scotch...

Anywho, I sent in a GM ticket and PWE's support website won't load. The ticket is the best hope right now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by askray View Post
YAY I'M EVOLVED! *drools on his chin*
Quote:
Originally Posted by voporak View Post
Welcome to the STO forums, where the evolutionary clock ticks backwards.
Imperfection - a prequel to Ashkrik23's Perfection
Check out my STO Youtube channel!
Why are you hovering over my signature? Play my foundry missions! :-)