Career Officer
# 31
06-14-2013, 09:14 PM
The REAL problem is that there is no interest in PVP among the STO community. I estimate less then 1% of the people logged in right now have any intent on joining a pvp match. Maybe they have already been chased away, maybe there is too little incentive for them to play. I know the longer I pvp the less EC/Dil/Marks etc I generate.

If the presence of the JHAS, Wells, Recluse, etc is any indication: there is money to be made in pvp. Plus, people who want to pvp dont want to grind - they are the ones most likely to pull out their wallets and pay to win today instead of play to win tomorrow. How many stf's will you join tonight and see one of the premier ships I promise you will see in every pvp match? not many. Cryptic should really work on this pvp system, give players incentive to play. More ec rewards, a pvp reputation system with pvp marks, Something to make the pvp pool larger so that one premade cant dominate everyone that comes.

As for 'premades' ruining the ques and the pvp experience for everyone, this would not be the case if there were more people playing. At this moment, Saturday night, there are 10 players in the que. TEN. that could very well be 2 premades on a voice chat system coordinating their efforts. Pugs wont stand a chance, but we cant begrudge premades for this. Every game with pvp will have 'premades' - the difference is that with a large enough pool of opponents, one or two premades wont make a huge impact. Premades arent all bullies. They are groups of friends who want to play well, and make 1440 dilli every 3 games.

I have been on both sides. Its no more fun slaughtering a team with no contest then getting slaughtered. I wish I could pvp and not see the same people all night long. In most cases I can tell who will win the match before the first shot is fired, just by looking at the names, this is how small the pvp community is, and that is sad.
Captain
# 32
06-14-2013, 09:34 PM
What about extra dilithium incentives for the Fed side to Q up - just like the KDF has - kill 10 starships / 10 captains - etc?

They could also raise the dilithium amount on the matches - but I am sure it would be rife then with afk and other silliness.
Captain
# 33
06-15-2013, 12:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitemepwe View Post
Well worded and sad at the same time. No worries though. As long as good people keep striving, evil will not prosper.

On the point of premades.. They are not the devil of PvP. Ive died to many a premade over the years and while it can suck to lose, I will not condemn a group of people for working as a team or doing it well when I could show the initiative and do the same but choose not too.
I WHOLEHEARTEDLY support and encourage premade play.

Playing as part of a co-ordinated and supportive team is fantastic.

That is one of the tenets of Boot Camp.

We promote fair play, discourage reliance on any power/ ability that is deemed in the hazy light of day.

That does not say that we are perfect in our endeavors. Merely that we are aimed for progress not perfection.

Last edited by drkfrontiers; 06-15-2013 at 01:09 AM.
Captain
# 34
06-15-2013, 01:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtremenoob1 View Post
I agree. It's tiresome. We'll chat tomorrow on bootcamp I hope. Been too long since we have.

Take care old friend.
Your support of Boot Camp is one of the reasons for its ongoing success.

Making your TeamSpeak readily available to such a large group of strangers is admirable and deeply appreciated.

I guess that irrespective of feelings or viewpoints, what is clear as day to me is this.

What are we, as a community going to do FOR PvP. What are we willing to change amongst ourselves as individuals?

I for example ran a pure MK XII purple Disruptor [ACC]x3 build with full house MK XII purple disruptor consoles. I put them away. Plasma Leech. Graviton Pulse. Set it aside from another time (STF's I have loads of fun!).

I do this because I want people to share in my fun. Why do I have to? I don't - I want to for the sake of that which I love. Bit over the top. Perhaps, but one does not know my life to know why STO is so important to me.

When I die to a player I don't readily recognize now, I find myself smiling a whole lot more, because I know the real score in my heart. I have won. And I cheer them like I was one of the 300.

What can we, as individuals do to set aside our beliefs and negative feelings around PvP, and just say to ourselves, "You know what, I'm just going to go out there and have fun, whether I do it in a blazing light show of antics or a fiery ball of doom! And when I am done I will cheers for the sake of saying, I as there!''

Take away all the clutter and one's behavior in PvP says more about our own character than the mechanics.

Outside of PvP, my finest moments when I come alive, is watching the back of the newbie in a STF.

When I see their brevity in the face of danger, or see their ship wobble from side-to-side as they frantically think they are about to die.

Bring them back from that edge has been a constant sense of joy for me.

And when they shout out at the end of the match "Thx! THAT was ExHilIrating!!!!!!" STO has succeeded.

Last edited by drkfrontiers; 06-15-2013 at 11:31 AM.
Captain
# 35
06-15-2013, 02:01 AM
Not only do I actually pvp more than I used to, but it's pretty much all I do. Log in, check the exchange, buy low keys, sell high, and then queue up for some fights.
Captain
# 36
06-15-2013, 09:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by guriphu View Post
As the best pvper in STO, I officially endorse the sentiments of the OP. Any noobs who disagree deserve to be spawncamped ruthlessly over and over again using any and all means possible until they leave the queues forever.
Couldn't have put it better myself. Time to dust off the ol' Miranda toting a sick photonic decoy console and a nasty trike mine in the rear (you can never nerf a man's spirit, newbies).

Of course if I die it was because of some nice cloaked 3 v. 1/I was AFK/getting a drink/compy lagged. Don't get it mixed up!

vids and guides and stuff

[9:52] [Zone #11] Neal@trapper1532: im a omega force shadow oprative and a maoc elite camander and here i am taking water samples
Captain
# 37
06-15-2013, 10:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pulserazor View Post
The REAL problem is that there is no interest in PVP among the STO DEVS.....-snip-.
oh and fixed that for ya.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mancom View Post
Frankly, I think the only sound advice that one can give new players at this time is to stay away from PVP in STO.
Science pvp at its best-http://www.youtube.com/user/matteo716
Do you even Science Bro?
Career Officer
# 38
06-15-2013, 11:05 AM
The very same thing is going on in another game right now. It seems that communities goals are universal. Keep the game imbalanced so they can continue to exploit thru manipulating the devs into thinking everything is fine.

GW2 has that issue right now. It's happening in PVE more then PVP however people aren't listening and it's become a bigger problem then it was so basically they are losing players.

It's really sad to see people do that.
I would like for the devs to open a poll/feedback thread on what exactly the players would like to see in the near future for the game.
Captain
# 39
06-15-2013, 11:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pulserazor View Post
If the presence of the JHAS, Wells, Recluse, etc is any indication: there is money to be made in pvp. Plus, people who want to pvp dont want to grind - they are the ones most likely to pull out their wallets and pay to win today instead of play to win tomorrow.
reading the pve forum you would think they invest billions trying to kill the borg threat
Ensign
# 40
06-15-2013, 12:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by newromulan1 View Post
Ok naming no names - but saying they were experience and well known PvP elite(cough) players. Some who I have seen on these forums.

The other day I was in a C/H and got put on a team with 4 others - on the other side there were 4 players but 2 decided to AFK.

Ok so I was flying my cloaked ship and had no need to help these Jem bugs out as they destroyed the 2 others in seconds every time they came out. Usually 1 destroyed the 2 ships while the other 3 capped - then they switched who whould be the killing ship.

What I did have time to do was follow them around and watch there powers/buffs/weapons going off.

I don't film anything - could not care that much - but they were going off like crazy - even without a enemy destroyed they would still cycle a bit. I was convinced after 5 min of watching that they were totally automated and only had to push fire and manuver their ships.

Of course it could just have been some super fancy keybinds and normally I am so engaged in the battle I don't have 5 min to follow players around and watch them before - I don't know - but it really made me go - WTF??
Sounds like something anyone with a basic gaming keyboard or mouse could do.