Survivor of Romulus
I don't know about all of you, but in my fleet I have friends that it would be nice to be able to talk to when not online (such as when the servers are down for maintenance). I know that there are other social media at our disposal, yet it would be nice to access the in game channels were subscribed to while the game is down.

What I think would be a nice addition to the STO experience, is an offline chat box program that is essentially the same as the in game one. Basically this offline one would access the channels you've subscribed to such as your fleet channel, your personal channels, etc. (not Local, Zone, or Team). In addition to this, a status monitor for each of the servers would be a nice feature (to allow users to see exactly when the servers are back up [for example, we can see the Holodeck server is online via the launcher, but not the Tribble or Red Shirt] and it would be nice to have these consolidated into a nice desktop application).

Regarding the actual production of this piece of software, I believe it could be accomplished by the STO staff rather easily. All they would have to do is essentially copy the largest part of the coding for the in game box to this new stand alone program, add in a status monitor item that possibly pings a port on the server or something to see if its online every 5 or so minutes. Then all that would be required is to make the installer for it, a relatively easy task.

That's just how I feel about it, so I was wondering what the STO community thought of this. Weather or not all of you think this is a good idea. At the very least I believe it would be a nice service. So, what does everyone think?
Starfleet Veteran
# 2
06-13-2013, 08:45 AM
If you are signed up to tribble you can via an XMPP chat program.
NERF CANNONS - THEY NEED A 50% NERF
CRUISERS NEED A 206% HULL BUFF
Career Officer
# 3
06-13-2013, 04:25 PM
Try this, it can be used to chat on a premade chat channel in STO, whether your ingame or not. Some of my friends use this to keep in touch with us if they cant make it to the game. http://www.pidgin.im
Deviant Art-Youtube- =^.^=The Red Pill
The path I choose to resist ARC
How Picard dealt with ARC!
Career Officer
# 4
06-17-2013, 01:58 PM
Why not create a TS3 server with lobbies for various areas of Sol or Qo'nos. Sort of a poor-man's way of role-playing their transfer from area to area.
Career Officer
# 5
06-17-2013, 02:03 PM
pidgin works wonderfully.