Lt. Commander
# 11
12-10-2009, 10:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Data2512 View Post
I hope there is some pre-order option for EU players soon (with TNG and DS9 uniforms, just like the special edition from Gamestop USA)
The uniforms are part of the CE edition of the game, the pre order items are stuff like a Conny ship, Borg BO or armour/shields for ground combat.

Hopefully they will offer something for us in the EU as to be honest the online digital download pre order bonus items are inferior to what the US physical stores are offering.
Lt. Commander
# 12
12-10-2009, 11:20 AM
Is it just me, or does the voice doing the narration sound similar to the voice of Captain Anderson from Mass Effect? The beginning and ending of the narration sound very much alike. The middle, not so much.
Lt. Commander
# 13
12-10-2009, 11:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Daily
yeah this trailer isn't getting any love at gamespot, but i'll admit the voice acting is lacking
Gamespot reminds me of MMORPG.com, the people on that site always post negative comments. Seems more of a rant site lol. I do like Massively.com the most, the people on there seem more mature IMO.

The video looked cool, it has not changed my mind about cancelling my Collectors Edition of STO. I didnt hear the voice acting since I am at work but the visuals seem fine to me.

Edit: Typo.
Lt. Commander
# 14
12-10-2009, 11:27 AM
It's rather difficult to not speak negatively of the narration. One hopes that is not voice acting from the game, no? The same goes for the Klingon trailer. It would be nice to know that people who don't sound so strained by seriousness and at least attended a high school theater class are typically the voice actors in-game.

And since that video contained a lot of footage we've seen before (or maybe all the beams and explosions are just merging in my memory), it seems as if the added voice acting is what was supposed to sell it, which is unfortunate....
Lt. Commander
# 15
12-10-2009, 11:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Stark View Post
Well I didn't think it was that bad but boy it got some horrible reviews at gamespot.
I think the people there don't know the difference between a "gameplay video" and a "game trailer".

However, I must admit the trailer is *decent* at best, at least compared to most of the other game trailers that have been around. This was a somewhat good marketing move from Cryptic in emphasising on the klingon-federation conflict, but it's just *not* what was expected right about now.

The gamers expected something breathtaking which could compete with trailers for SW:TOR, to name just an example. Instead they got alot of pew-pew and laz0rs... You draw the conclusion here.
Lt. Commander
# 16
12-10-2009, 11:40 AM
I, too, am also getting more concerned that the focus of trailers has been space combat... as if that's all the game will be about. I'm further concerned there is lack of a focus on lore, but more on action. I agree with some other posters-the narration isn't the most compelling thing in the world and the trailer is more of a light show than anything else. Though the one spot where the ship fires like 20 photon torpedoes was admittedly pretty cool.

"It's hard to believe we were allies 10 years ago"... I find it honestly harder to believe that all Starfleet does is fight. meh. Oh well.

I hope the uniforms could conform to Trek threads more down the road. Oh well.
Lt. Commander
# 17
12-10-2009, 11:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Usagi7 View Post
I, too, am also getting more concerned that the focus of trailers has been space combat... as if that's all the game will be about. I'm further concerned there is lack of a focus on lore, but more on action. I agree with some other posters-the narration isn't the most compelling thing in the world and the trailer is more of a light show than anything else. Though the one spot where the ship fires like 20 photon torpedoes was admittedly pretty cool.

"It's hard to believe we were allies 10 years ago"... I find it honestly harder to believe that all Starfleet does is fight. meh. Oh well.

I hope the uniforms could conform to Trek threads more down the road. Oh well.
I have a feeling that there is indeed a lot more to the game, however putting "exploration" in a trailer may be seen as boring/unattractive to the non-Trekkies. A lot of us who have been involved or obsessed with ST for the past couple decades may appreciate the exploration/diplomacy edge of it a lot more than the casual fan. Since this game is targeting a very wide, disparate audience, I wouldn't be too surprised at the number of combat-oriented (and substance-lacking) trailers. I still have hope that there will be a lot more content revealed in the weeks leading up to X-mas, because I'm still on the fence about pre-ordering and that would definitely nudge me in the right direction.

I agree...I was thinking TNG-era or the updated 2370s uniforms seen in First Contact.
Lt. Commander
# 18
12-10-2009, 11:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezmac028 View Post
Whoa. I don't think I've ever seen so many phaser and disruptor beams firing simultaneously. That battle looked like some sort of psychedelic light show.
Lol thats what I thought. And I am not one for comparing games but It does remind me of EVE"s ingame combat videos.
Lt. Commander
# 19
12-10-2009, 11:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard_Saunders
I have a feeling that there is indeed a lot more to the game, however putting "exploration" in a trailer may be seen as boring/unattractive to the non-Trekkies.
Yet Star Trek, as a setting, doesn't have a lot to offer in the way of action, so it seems that what ends up happening is that whilst the Star Trek fans think there's too much focus on action, the action fans find the action boring. Nobody wins.
Lt. Commander
# 20
12-10-2009, 12:04 PM
Although video wasn't too bad, that voice acting was terrible, terrible voice and terrible script, who writes this stuff? GET SOME WRITERS!