Captain
# 11
06-18-2013, 10:11 AM
These sound pretty awesome. One question about the "interview a dev" thing: you said that you guys would "pick a submission" - do you mean only one dev will be interviewed a month, and/or only one postfull of questions will be answered?
Former PWE Community Team Lead
# 12
06-18-2013, 10:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycoticvulcan View Post
These sound pretty awesome. One question about the "interview a dev" thing: you said that you guys would "pick a submission" - do you mean only one dev will be interviewed a month, and/or only one postfull of questions will be answered?
It could be one, it could be multiple Depends on how many questions are asked for them for the entries that are chosen. Think about some of the interviews that our fansites and podcasts do -- the entries would be like those questions, but written and delivered in a web article.

Also, we're not going to be able to run all the features I suggested in the OP every month, but we'd look at running at least one of them, and switch it up from month to month, rotating between them and the other ideas that have been and will be brought up in this thread.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
Brandon "BranFlakes" Felczer | Former Community Team Lead for Perfect World Entertainment

Last edited by pwebranflakes; 06-18-2013 at 10:19 AM.
Republic Veteran
# 13
06-18-2013, 10:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by themarie View Post
I stopped reading Ask Cryptic when it became apparent to me... at least.... that the feature was answering the same general questions with the same vague answers.

Scrolling down one would find page after page of "Still no word on ___?" and "You are avoiding questions on ___" and "Why did you tell us the same thing you told us last time."

In order for this to work we need answers to questions -- not the same vague answers to the same 20 questions every month. If the devs can't give us a concrete answer besides "Well we are working on it and it will be awesome!" or "soon!" that question should not be selected for answering.

Ask Cryptic should not be a tool for generating buzz, Cryptic generates enough buzz with blog posts and twitter. Ask Cryptic should give real concrete answers to questions asked by the playerbase.
I can pretty much agree on this. It's frustrating when questions get avoided/ignored and the ones that are chose to answer are pretty much the same ones every month. I do appreciate Ask Cryptic don't get me wrong, but when there's something I don't understand, I inquire.
Republic Veteran
# 14
06-18-2013, 10:23 AM
More transparency in the direction the game is going, as well as the current status quo from the dev teams perspective would both be welcomed editions.

Some hybrid of Engineering reports/State of the game with possibility for dialog/feedback from the community on key aspects of the ER/SOTG the devs may or may not need specific feedback on.

The single biggest issue for the community right now is the disparity between player classes and ship classes. It would be a good first topic for the devs to give their perspective on the situation, whether they deem it is an issue and if so what avenues they are considering.

Quote:
While they are not exactly labeled as 'Ask Cryptic's, many of the podcast and fansite interviews that are conducted feature segments that include questions submitted by the community via question submission threads in these forums. You can look forward to these interviews continuing, as they already occur on a much frequent basis than the 'Ask Cryptic', allowing for us all to enjoy player-submitted questions answered more often. The same goes for all the questions we answer via these forums, Twitter, Facebook, etc. -- we love answering them, so keep them coming!
Less energy should be spent on podcasts/fansites and more on the community you have right here on this very forum. This is where the heart of the STO community resides. Communication needs to be here first and foremost, not hidden away in some multiple hour long irrelevant corner of the internet.

Last edited by aexrael; 06-18-2013 at 10:25 AM.
Starfleet Veteran
# 15
06-18-2013, 10:23 AM
Part of the problem is that we don't really have enough info to ask relevant questions.
Ask Cryptic worked well with the engineering reports because we knew where cryptic stood and could ask intelligent questions. But since the PWE acquisition, you guys have been rather tight lipped. For good questions we kinda need to have at least some knowledge about where STO is going. Also the "State of the Game"s aren't really helpful in that regard because all Dan does in them is talk about what Cryptic has done, not where Cryptic is going. Which is what is needed to make Ask Cryptic better.

For me the best solution would be better "State of the Game"s where Dan talks a lot more about what's on the horizon for STO, and then open an Ask Cryptic immediately afterwords so the community can voice questions, clarifications and concerns about info revealed the State of the Game.
"Wesley - He wants the Impossible
Geordi - That's the short definition of Captain" - and the STO Forums
Career Officer
# 16
06-18-2013, 10:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwebranflakes View Post
It could be one, it could be multiple Depends on how many questions are asked for them for the entries that are chosen. Think about some of the interviews that our fansites and podcasts do -- the entries would be like those questions, but written and delivered in a web article.

Also, we're not going to be able to run all the features I suggested in the OP every month, but we'd look at running at least one of them, and switch it up from month to month, rotating between them and the other ideas that have been and will be brought up in this thread.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
I don't know if rotating them is a good idea. When one gets more popular than the others, if there are months between versions of it players will get restless for its updates.

I'd say do the following:

State of the Game: Monthly. This is practically required. We want whatever info we can get on the upcoming month(s)' releases/updates as frequently as possible.

Player Surveys: Definitely use these for internal decision-making, especially when the internal polls are close. But it doesn't need to expand out to a monthly feature. Perhaps include results as part of one of the other features?

Pick a Blog: Definitely nice every once and a while, but if it interferes with regularly scheduled Dev Blogs watch how frequently it's used.

Interview with a Dev: I was wondering how this would work...would you pick one Dev/department and run a blog with just answers to those questions? Or would you pick and choose among all of them and post a few from Dan, a few from UI, etc.? (EDIT: And by "you", I really mean "whoever's behind running these." )

I think "Interview with a Dev" holds the highest potential, and on months where there's not much new coming out do Pick a Blog. Incorporate Player Surveys into a monthly State of the Game.

Just my $.02.
Career Officer
# 17
06-18-2013, 10:31 AM
Oh, Cool. I'm pretty sure the most wanted "Interview with a Dev" will be for Geko discussing how he thinks Ships should be balanced/designed. Now, while some of the gameplay does fall on Content Design (sure, Cruisers can be really good at support/tank, but content doesn't require that at the moment), it does feel awfully bad that some types of ships are just plain superior.
Republic Veteran
# 18
06-18-2013, 10:38 AM
Not sure the value of ask a dev, doesn't seem like there is a lot of point of asking anyone but Dan or Al anything, at least if you are looking for new information. It might be interesting to have a regular Q&A from Al since Dan defers ship stuff to him, and that is what many players care about.

No matter what you do Cryptic is going to get complaining over the questions. They are all player questions, but if they aren't the "right" questions other players will complain, like they are somehow more important than anyone else.

There used to be a time where, Dan especially, would talk more about aspirations for the game, but then he started getting players complaining about overselling features and making false promises.

Its really a matter of Cryptic has to choose what reality it wants to live in, being more accurate about new features/changes/content, which is the direction that has been moved into over time, and also means you guys only talk about things that are pretty set in stone, or being more open about development goals and hoped for features, and accepting that there might be some drift in scope/change of plans/canceled plans, and that some players will get a lot of angst from that.

Personally I like the open conversation approach, where ideas and development concepts can be discussed at length, and where the community would have to accept that not everything said is set in stone. Think about Al's marathon podcast conversations, I sat through all 6 hours between the two. Those were awesome, and gave some real insight into the development process, and also provides some interesting dev side view of theorycrafting.
Commander
# 19
06-18-2013, 10:50 AM
IMHO, I enjoy reading "Ask Cryptic" with the format has. If there is a failure in the format, it is NOT with the questions being asked by the community (which of many questions are repeats), the failure IS with the question CHOOSER. There are many other questions that are NOT repetitive that could be answered but are not selected.

I respectfully suggest if you actually answered the questions the community REALLY cares about and are affected by, "Ask Cryptic" would be VERY popular and interesting.

Regards.

If the community offers a platter of mostly repetitive rocks with a few gold nuggets mixed in and the chooser selects the rocks, Why does the chooser have no gold?
Starfleet Veteran
# 20
06-18-2013, 11:02 AM
What makes a new feature viable?

What is the process behind introduction of a new game feature like the Starbase system or the doff system or reputation or Feature Episode from concept to release? How long does it take? Who is invoved in greenlighting it? How does such a project evolve during production?

And on a related note? Did you ever consider a kickstarter system to get more difficult to finance products and features of the ground because they don't have direct revenue? Players could treat them like a starbase or reputation project, so the system for this is already in place essentially.
People contribute time and in game resources and perhaps even Zen for let's say an improved Risa zone or a new DS9 ground map or a new PvP map.
Everyone who contributes unlocks certain smaller ingame items or a limited stipend of dilithium or some such depending on his contribution.
Closed Thread