Lieutenant
# 21
06-18-2013, 11:19 AM
Others have said it, but I'll reiterate. The problem isn't the format of Ask Cryptic, its the substance of your answers. Ever since you ditched Engineering Reports and decided to stop sharing information with your player base, it hasn't much mattered what you say. You don't give us any details on what's being done and the questions you do choose to answer are total fluff pieces or given the "soon" treatment.

It's pretty clear that the opinion of the player base doesn't factor into design decisions, so why bother asking our opinion of your new propaganda machine? It will be designed to be mildly interesting to the average player that occasionally stumbles onto the website, not the dedicated type of player that actually comes to the forums to leave feedback and ask questions.

I guess it'll give Cryptic something new to post so they can give "Dilithium 101" a rest, at least.
Survivor of Remus
# 22
06-18-2013, 11:31 AM
Reading the top post, it really sounds to me like the issue is with the answers being given, and not the feature itself.

Perhaps change the philosophy on what questions you guys pick to answer, and how frank you are in those answers.
------------------------------------------------------
I don't understand how Cryptic can use someone with a history of anti-gay hate speech to promote STO.
Disheartened member of the Romulan Refugee "faction"
Ashamed that Cryptic wouldn't follow up on thousands of posts of negative feedback.
Starfleet Veteran
# 23
06-18-2013, 11:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwebranflakes View Post
  • "Player Surveys/Polls with Dev Feedback" - We also plan to run more player surveys and polls. If you recall this survey from last September, the majority of those who participated voted for "playable Romulans" and "more KDF content." Looking from September to now, we were able to accomplish both! While we may not always be able to development the most requested feature, your feedback and desires to play a role in what gets developed. Also, when we post results of the survey or poll, we'll also be including Dev feedback on your replies and/or choices.
I'm pretty sure the "player surveys/polls" will be a forum favorite, but I'm also fairly certain that these polls don't actually have any large impact on the design process that is inferred from such a poll/survey. From all the previous surveys, I'm pretty sure all options were/are valid options with at least some work going into them already, with the options going to be released anyway.

Just like the "next playable faction" survey, how was it not going to be Romulans no matter what? It's pretty apparent to me that Romulans were going to be the next faction regardless of whether it was a fan favorite (which again, how could it not be a fan favorite?). More content for KDF as the next topic of focus? How can anyone believe that not already something they were working on?

Raptr profile
Survivor of Romulus
# 24
06-18-2013, 11:48 AM
My suggestion "just the facts"

How about answers that do not say "I do not want to spoil surprises" or "Maybe"

A straight "No" or "I don't know" would be better

example "can we please have a way to get rid of tovan Khev"
Acceptable answers
"Yes"
"No"
"I have no idea "
Captain
# 25
06-18-2013, 12:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sollvax View Post
A straight "No" or "I don't know" would be better
I think this is at the crux of the issue with Ask Cryptics. Because it is a propaganda tool, you (Cryptic) want everything in it to be good stuff only. Sometimes that means saying stuff will come "soon", or talking about features that you know people will like, or being vague enough that people can't get angry. But really, you can't be afraid to make people angry. If saying that there will be no further development of PvP (for example) will piss people off, that's that. Better to let people know rather than not giving them straight answers, or telling them "it's on our radar" for years.

Perhaps some insight as to how marketing works would help as well. I've seen it written sometimes that "marketing" determines what you can say and when you can say it. Who is marketing? Why do they make the decisions that they do?
Career Officer
# 26
06-18-2013, 01:35 PM
Will this fresh approach ensure that every question asked will be answered? Even if Its only something like "this has been acknodeged" if it cannot be discussed?

And will this new ask cryptic still have the usual tweets and Facebook prompts to submit your questions?
Survivor of Romulus
# 27
06-18-2013, 02:32 PM
It seems strange to change the format when the problem isn't the Ask Cryptic itself, but what questions Cryptic chooses to answer every month. You want to make the Ask Cryptic a more meaningful enterprise? Then how about selecting the questions you know we want answers to as opposed to the questions you want to answer.

Problem solved.

EDIT - This just seems like a thinly-veiled attempt to further control the conversation. It's always on Cryptic's terms, not the players'.

Last edited by purplegamer; 06-18-2013 at 02:38 PM.
Republic Veteran
# 28
06-18-2013, 02:36 PM
I would like to see a factional focus from time to time.

I know there is a kdf podcast out there, gates of stovokor. but they seem to be the only guys batting for a faction. other podcasts out there seem to cover a wider range of things.

so maybe a focused

fed 20 questions

kdf 20 questions

romulan 20 questions

for them factional specific questions.

polls in general are great. but I would like to also see some polls that are like a kdf only poll. or romulan only poll.

and be brave. your extremely popular poll which romulans was a clear winner and a 2nd placed kdf content.... when people voted they voted for a full romulan faction. not half of 1. so label you intentions better. i'm pretty sure your half faction wouldn't have got many votes against a full faction option. 'playable romulans' was rather misleading and at no point did any one clear that up until it was far too late.

Last edited by wazzagiow; 06-18-2013 at 02:46 PM.
Starfleet Veteran
# 29
06-18-2013, 02:44 PM
Here's my suggestion:

Players should be able to submit questions into a queue system where other players can +1 them or -1 them. Any question over a certain threshold MUST be answered, and the top five or ten questions should be answered in high detail. This will allow you to cut through the junk and answer stuff people care most about.

Additional Suggestion: Have costumes and ships as a mini-ask-Cryptic that occurs separately from the main one.
Republic Veteran
# 30
06-18-2013, 02:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stararmy View Post
Here's my suggestion:

Players should be able to submit questions into a queue system where other players can +1 them or -1 them. Any question over a certain threshold MUST be answered, and the top five or ten questions should be answered in high detail. This will allow you to cut through the junk and answer stuff people care most about.
NeoakiraII like this.

Closed Thread