Ensign
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 28
# 21 I like the sound of this
06-20-2013, 06:32 AM
This has given me a few idea's. A full group of five with the Thoilan swords. May give this a go. Nice one
Commander
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 332
# 22
06-20-2013, 07:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigthemaster View Post
This has given me a few idea's. A full group of five with the Thoilan swords. May give this a go. Nice one
I think with the very very limited melee weapons available, the Tholian sword is my weapon of choice as well. I have a second sword which i gave to one of my away team, and she is brutal with it. I will be earning more to give to the rest of my away team, though I like my Nausicaan to keep his MK XII tegolar sword, keeps one character original then

I've looked into buying the C-store melee pack as well, as its only 300 zen, but are they really worth it? apart from the skin, they apparently only offer a small percentage increase in crit chance, which is pathetic IMO. Has anyone else bought these? are they worth it?

Last edited by ironmako; 06-20-2013 at 07:13 AM.
Ensign
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 28
# 23
06-20-2013, 07:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by angrytarg View Post
Are there any missions that reward uncommon/rare melee weapons?
The mission "Undying" in the Wasteland chain awards a level-appropriate rare melee weapon. In addition, I believe during "Coliseum" if you run back to the weapon racks instead of making your escape right away you can pick up a rare.

Aside from that, the Caitian/Ferasan assignment chain unlocks a rare repeatable doff assignment that awards quality melee weapons, though I haven't seen it come up often.
Commander
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 332
# 24
06-20-2013, 07:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaigen42 View Post
The mission "Undying" in the Wasteland chain awards a level-appropriate rare melee weapon. In addition, I believe during "Coliseum" if you run back to the weapon racks instead of making your escape right away you can pick up a rare.

Aside from that, the Caitian/Ferasan assignment chain unlocks a rare repeatable doff assignment that awards quality melee weapons, though I haven't seen it come up often.
I never knew about going back in the Coliseum. If you have a rack of weapons, does it only give you one rare weapon, or can you just pick up as much as your inventory holds?
Career Officer
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 204
# 25
06-20-2013, 07:40 AM
Just to rain a little bit on the parade:

I am not that fond of melee weapons in eSTFs. Especially not in missions like Infected_Ground where people rush across the trigger lines and start the assimilation process - or tend to pull the entire room unneccessarily in Kithomer_Assault_Ground or the final stage of Infected_Ground.

Yes, melee weapons can be nasty. Yet I still prefer the Honor Guard/Adapted MACO rifle - a pulsewave gun with a grenade launcher. As You can pulsewave an entire group that stands close together. Nice combination with a Scientist using his Physics kit and Geologists that may cause a Phasic Instability. Engineers love that with Mines and Bombs (well, not so much anymore since the proximity fuse went out for the latter) as well.

I should mention that the

http://sto.gamepedia.com/Tholian_Crystalline_Sword

and the

http://sto.gamepedia.com/Ferengi_Energy_Whip

do cause an Energy-type damage - to which the Borg may adapt.
Commander
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 332
# 26
06-20-2013, 07:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaigen42 View Post
The mission "Undying" in the Wasteland chain awards a level-appropriate rare melee weapon. In addition, I believe during "Coliseum" if you run back to the weapon racks instead of making your escape right away you can pick up a rare.

Aside from that, the Caitian/Ferasan assignment chain unlocks a rare repeatable doff assignment that awards quality melee weapons, though I haven't seen it come up often.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deianirrah View Post
Just to rain a little bit on the parade:

I am not that fond of melee weapons in eSTFs. Especially not in missions like Infected_Ground where people rush across the trigger lines and start the assimilation process - or tend to pull the entire room unneccessarily in Kithomer_Assault_Ground or the final stage of Infected_Ground.

Yes, melee weapons can be nasty. Yet I still prefer the Honor Guard/Adapted MACO rifle - a pulsewave gun with a grenade launcher. As You can pulsewave an entire group that stands close together. Nice combination with a Scientist using his Physics kit and Geologists that may cause a Phasic Instability. Engineers love that with Mines and Bombs (well, not so much anymore since the proximity fuse went out for the latter) as well.

I should mention that the

http://sto.gamepedia.com/Tholian_Crystalline_Sword

and the

http://sto.gamepedia.com/Ferengi_Energy_Whip

do cause an Energy-type damage - to which the Borg may adapt.
Well the energy whip is a ranged energy weapon first of all, so it is not a melee weapon (I wasted lobi finding this out) and secondly, the tholian sword gives energy damage only when its charged, and that is in addition to the melee damage. Also, thankfully, the Dev's haven't caught onto this yet. If they do nerf the sword in the next update, I shall hold you responsible for bringing it up
Commander
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 405
# 27
06-20-2013, 08:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironmako View Post
In MMO's i like to mix it up a little, use the tools which are not part of the norm, and STO is no different.

I love using melee, in fact recently, I was part of an all-melee squad on a ground STF elite(khitomer in stasis) and it was brilliant! the Borg never stood a chance, and we got the optional with time to spare. This happened, as with Melee, you dont have to worry about shields, and because melee weapons score more crits, and generally have a higher DPS (due to the lack of range). Oh, and no frequency modulations! yay!

I Decided though, that instead of players holding the weapons, I wanted to see how my NPC away team do. My current team consists of:

Me (Klingon) - Tac - Lobi Crystalline Sword

Orion Female - Sci - tsunkatse falchion

Orion Female - Eng - tsunkatse falchion

Orion Female - Tac - Shattering Crystalline Sword

Nausican Male - Tac - Naausican Tegolar Sword

Yeah, plenty of Orion ladies I know, but i assure you they are all wearing the full Bortasqu' Uniform, so they are completely covered!
Melee is fun, I run a Tac with the close combat kit for my KDF Romulan and it's great. My only complaint is 90% of enemies will run away from you if you get close so Sweeping Strikes is about useless aside from kicking someone a couple times while they're down after a Lunge or Stun Grenade. The only ones who will reliably not run away are Borg and Tholians, as Borg are just too slow moving to go far before being knocked down again and most Tholians seem to come with standard melee attacks.

My other KDF character is an Orion with a full Orion away team, because Seduce is such a hilariously effective ability. I tried mixing it up with a couple Letheans to try out Rapture but it didn't work as good as Seduce.

I like Nausicaans for melee boffs though, give a Nausicaan Ambush and Stealth Module and watch them 1 shot most things with Lunge. The Jem'Hadar boff and Klingons are also good.
Empire Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 6,620
# 28
06-20-2013, 09:01 AM
this actually works now? last time i gave a boff a melee weapon, over a year ago, he just kind of crouched and did nothing.

oh, and sweeping strike is so awesome, you dont even need a sword, i love using kits with it, it decimates anyone that gets close to me. it deals more damage then a melee weapon im pretty sure.
gateway links-->Norvo Tigan, Telis Latto Ruwon, Sochie Heim, Solana Soleus
Empire Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,654
# 29
06-20-2013, 09:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwebranflakes View Post
It's pretty fun to watch, huh?

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
Did it actually get fixed where boffs actually use melee weapons?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 228
# 30
06-20-2013, 09:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by deianirrah View Post
I am not that fond of melee weapons in eSTFs. Especially not in missions like Infected_Ground where people rush across the trigger lines and start the assimilation process - or tend to pull the entire room unneccessarily in Kithomer_Assault_Ground or the final stage of Infected_Ground.
I would love to see a melee only group complete IGE optional. We need melee weapons with better AoE abilities.
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:11 PM.