Career Officer
# 101
06-21-2013, 02:16 PM
"Hate Speech
You may not create posts and/or private messages that allude to, contain language, comments, references, links, symbols, terms and/or imagery about and/or promote and/or otherwise support, in any manner whether directly or indirectly, hatred, discrimination and/or denigrations based on or related to race, ethnicity, religion, sect, color, national origin, age, gender, familial status, sexual orientation, disability status, veteran status, genetic information, etc."

/IB4TL

*grabs popcorn*

Last edited by zerobang; 06-21-2013 at 02:19 PM.
Ensign
# 102
06-21-2013, 02:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by khamseenair View Post
I assume you're quoting that ironically? Since the rest of your post is saying that we shouldn't be allowed to promote or celebrate our diversity on these forums or in this game... The exact opposite of what that quote is representing.
Cryptic (PWE) taking a side in this issue is to me a worrying thing because they are the same people who decide what can and cant be said in game (foundry) and on the forums. On political topics, they ought to remain neutral, lest that "first link be forged." I have no problem with the content of the blog post. I have a problem with a political (or ANY non directly game related topic) stance being taken by Cryptic, even if they are right. The idea of free speech is to protect unpopular opinions.

Summary. Politics on a game forum: bad. Politics being brought up BY THE OWNERS OF THE GAME FORUM: scary / needs a Picard quote.

The politics itself: no comment.
Career Officer
# 103
06-21-2013, 02:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerobang View Post
"Hate Speech
You may not create posts and/or private messages that allude to, contain language, comments, references, links, symbols, terms and/or imagery about and/or promote and/or otherwise support, in any manner whether directly or indirectly, hatred, discrimination and/or denigrations based on or related to race, ethnicity, religion, sect, color, national origin, age, gender, familial status, sexual orientation, disability status, veteran status, genetic information, etc."

/IB4TL

*grabs popcorn*
The original article doesn't breach that. Several of the posts in this thread do however.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heraldofmanwe View Post
Cryptic (PWE) taking a side in this issue is to me a worrying thing because they are the same people who decide what can and cant be said in game (foundry) and on the forums. On political topics, they ought to remain neutral, lest that "first link be forged." I have no problem with the content of the blog post. I have a problem with a political (or ANY non directly game related topic) stance being taken by Cryptic, even if they are right. The idea of free speech is to protect unpopular opinions.

Summary. Politics on a game forum: bad. Politics being brought up BY THE OWNERS OF THE GAME FORUM: scary / needs a Picard quote.

The politics itself: no comment.
The 'first link' you continue to quote incorrectly, would be forged (as it already has been in society) by not allowing people to express their sexuality. Not by allowing it.
Join date is wrong, I've actually been around since Beta.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs.
Take one down, patch it around.
127 little bugs in the code...
Ensign
# 104
06-21-2013, 02:21 PM
including your own

Quote:
The original article doesn't breach that. Several of the posts in this thread do however.

The 'first link' you continue to quote incorrectly, would be forged (as it already has been in society) by not allowing people to express their sexuality. Not by allowing it.
Lt. Commander
# 105
06-21-2013, 02:21 PM
So, this is taken directly from the guest blog post:

"My fleet, Stonewall Fleet, is a gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender and straight ally fleet, and every year we celebrate our own corner of diversity by hosting a weekend of events in remembrance of our name sake, the Stonewall Rebellion. We are proud to host the Fourth Annual Pride Weekend this month. Every year, we open this event to the entire Star Trek Online community so they can come celebrate this historic event with us. The event will span the weekend of June 29th and 30th with events planned throughout the days. As well, we have prizes available for participants and contest winners. We welcome anyone who would like to attend. To participate, please join the public, in-game channel: STOPride"

It's a Fleet event, celebrating people's right to choose, whether the majority agree or not. The blog also directly mentions other groups that many of the Star Trek actors represented making the first difficult strides into acceptance.

I see no reason why a company should not support their customer base organizing events to celebrate this diversity, or the long hard road to get here.

This isn't an educational event, its not required, and I highly doubt it will be inappropriate, so why is this even being considered inappropriate for anyone? It's not like they are sponsoring an alt-sex ed course on STO. Perhaps if kids realize that more people around them live different lifestyles than they do, schools and playgrounds will slowly stop being grounds for bullying based on differences, and life in general can be improved.

Not saying that this event will change the world, but hey, you never know. I bet Rosa Parks didn't set out to change the world at first.

Oh, and as for this being inappropriate for children, the Governor of the state of California disagrees:
http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/07/14/cal...ion/index.html
Career Officer
# 106
06-21-2013, 02:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hargbok View Post
including your own
Please, tell me where I've shown "hatred, discrimination and/or denigrations" in my posts.
Lt. Commander
# 107
06-21-2013, 02:24 PM
Quote:
Please, tell me where I've shown "hatred, discrimination and/or denigrations" in my posts.
It's implied, by stating that this is inappropriate for a group of children to be exposed to, that the lifestyle choices are wrong and shameful. Indirectly, that says that anyone who makes that choice should be hidden away from the eyes of the general public.
Career Officer
# 108
06-21-2013, 02:25 PM
As far as I'm concerned, be proud of who YOU are, regardless of heritage, race, religion or sexual orientation, and don't put others down because of their differences. Personally I'm a Caucasian male of Irish heritage, and I'm proud of it, and whether you're gay or straight, white or black, fat or thin, be proud of yourself, and don't let close-mindedness or ignorance make you feel any other way.

While some of the backlash isn't surprising, Star Trek has always been about diversity and understanding, and this article is a good reminder of that. Good read!
Lt. Commander
# 109
06-21-2013, 02:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgoblin2 View Post
As far as I'm concerned, be proud of who YOU are, regardless of heritage, race, religion or sexual orientation, and don't put others down because of their differences. Personally I'm a Caucasian male of Irish heritage, and I'm proud of it, and whether you're gay or straight, white or black, fat or thin, be proud of yourself, and don't let close-mindedness or ignorance make you feel any other way.

While some of the backlash isn't surprising, Star Trek has always been about diversity and understanding, and this article is a good reminder of that. Good read!
+1 to you Agreed!
Career Officer
# 110
06-21-2013, 02:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsck82 View Post
It's implied, by stating that this is inappropriate for a group of children to be exposed to, that the lifestyle choices are wrong and shameful. Indirectly, that says that anyone who makes that choice should be hidden away from the eyes of the general public.
I think you're getting me confused with somebody else. I am gay myself and I don't think sexuality should be hidden away from children, in fact I think it's something that should be openly discussed because only by educating the young to understand and accept differences, will our society as a whole ever reach the point where acceptance of diversity is the norm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgoblin2 View Post

Well said.