Ensign
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 22
# 111
06-21-2013, 02:27 PM
I see no reason why a company should endorse a persons sexuality and promote an event about that persons sexuality regardless of what it is. Its why most companies dont do it to much conflict of interest involved.




Quote:
Originally Posted by jsck82 View Post
So, this is taken directly from the guest blog post:

"My fleet, Stonewall Fleet, is a gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender and straight ally fleet, and every year we celebrate our own corner of diversity by hosting a weekend of events in remembrance of our name sake, the Stonewall Rebellion. We are proud to host the Fourth Annual Pride Weekend this month. Every year, we open this event to the entire Star Trek Online community so they can come celebrate this historic event with us. The event will span the weekend of June 29th and 30th with events planned throughout the days. As well, we have prizes available for participants and contest winners. We welcome anyone who would like to attend. To participate, please join the public, in-game channel: STOPride"

It's a Fleet event, celebrating people's right to choose, whether the majority agree or not. The blog also directly mentions other groups that many of the Star Trek actors represented making the first difficult strides into acceptance.

I see no reason why a company should not support their customer base organizing events to celebrate this diversity, or the long hard road to get here.

This isn't an educational event, its not required, and I highly doubt it will be inappropriate, so why is this even being considered inappropriate for anyone? It's not like they are sponsoring an alt-sex ed course on STO. Perhaps if kids realize that more people around them live different lifestyles than they do, schools and playgrounds will slowly stop being grounds for bullying based on differences, and life in general can be improved.

Not saying that this event will change the world, but hey, you never know. I bet Rosa Parks didn't set out to change the world at first.

Oh, and as for this being inappropriate for children, the Governor of the state of California disagrees:
http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/07/14/cal...ion/index.html
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 120
# 112
06-21-2013, 02:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by khamseenair View Post
I think you're getting me confused with somebody else. I am gay myself and I don't think sexuality should be hidden away from children, in fact I think it's something that should be openly discussed because only by educating the young to understand and accept differences, will our society as a whole ever reach the point where acceptance of diversity is the norm.




Well said.
Apologies, I incorrectly thought you were the one that stated that earlier. I retract my previous statement
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 873
# 113
06-21-2013, 02:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsck82 View Post
Apologies, I incorrectly thought you were the one that stated that earlier. I retract my previous statement
Haha no worries.
Join date is wrong, I've actually been around since Beta.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs.
Take one down, patch it around.
127 little bugs in the code...
Lieutenant
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 32
# 114
06-21-2013, 02:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by khamseenair View Post
...
The 'first link' you continue to quote incorrectly, would be forged (as it already has been in society) by not allowing people to express their sexuality. Not by allowing it.
We are debating two different things. I am saying that by taking an official stance ON THESE FORUMS about an issue we are not allowed to debate on these forums, the Picard quote applies to Cryptic. I am making no mention of whether the stance is correct or not. As for whether the Picard quote can be used in the general context of this social issue: you are completely right it can, and it certainly does.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 120
# 115
06-21-2013, 02:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hargbok View Post
I see no reason why a company should endorse a persons sexuality and promote an event about that persons sexuality regardless of what it is. Its why most companies dont do it to much conflict of interest involved.
I see no endorsement of sexuality, I see an endorsement of diversity.

If this was an event about the color of skin or religion, would there be this much resistance?

Both of which, by the way, are also mentioned in paragraphs of the blog post.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 867
# 116
06-21-2013, 02:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by heraldofmanwe View Post
Cryptic (PWE) taking a side in this issue is to me a worrying thing because they are the same people who decide what can and cant be said in game (foundry) and on the forums. On political topics, they ought to remain neutral, lest that "first link be forged." I have no problem with the content of the blog post. I have a problem with a political (or ANY non directly game related topic) stance being taken by Cryptic, even if they are right. The idea of free speech is to protect unpopular opinions.

Summary. Politics on a game forum: bad. Politics being brought up BY THE OWNERS OF THE GAME FORUM: scary / needs a Picard quote.

The politics itself: no comment.
Star Trek was never politically or socially neutral. As an heir to the franchise, I see no problems with PWE carrying the mantle of Gene Roddenbury's vision in terms of the game itself.

Uhuru, Chekov, Spock, Vina, and Sulu were put on the show to help promote Roddenbury's idea of all humans, regardless of their political beliefs, or ethnic and racial histories, were equals.

The TNG episode The Outcast was written to show that there are many valid forms of sexual identity and that they should be embraced.

The Ferengi were created as a foil to the socialistic Federation to show that unregulated capitalistic ideals which rewarded avarice and mammon were concepts that were keeping humanity from achieving its full potential.

Last edited by logicalspock; 06-21-2013 at 02:35 PM.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 873
# 117
06-21-2013, 02:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by heraldofmanwe View Post
We are debating two different things. I am saying that by taking an official stance ON THESE FORUMS about an issue we are not allowed to debate on these forums, the Picard quote applies to Cryptic. I am making no mention of whether the stance is correct or not. As for whether the Picard quote can be used in the general context of this social issue: you are completely right it can, and it certainly does.
I see what you mean. Sorry, I misunderstood your post. Though personally I think it's brave and right of PWE to do this. Especially after the debacle last week with the Legacy pack event which left a lot of us feeling rather dismayed regarding their attitudes towards sexuality equality.
Join date is wrong, I've actually been around since Beta.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs.
Take one down, patch it around.
127 little bugs in the code...
Lieutenant
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 64
# 118
06-21-2013, 02:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hargbok View Post
I see no reason why a company should endorse a persons sexuality and promote an event about that persons sexuality regardless of what it is. Its why most companies dont do it to much conflict of interest involved.
Almost none of them.
Other than Budweiser, HBO, Smirnoff, Oreo, Microsoft, Amazon, Starbucks, JCP, Facebook...

And thats off the top of my head.
(It happens all the time, is what I'm saying)

Last edited by asthaloth; 06-21-2013 at 02:39 PM.
Lieutenant
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 32
# 119
06-21-2013, 02:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by khamseenair View Post
I see what you mean. Sorry, I misunderstood your post. Though personally I think it's brave and right of PWE to do this. Especially after the debacle last week with the Legacy pack event which left a lot of us feeling rather dismayed regarding their attitudes towards sexuality equality.

No worries. I admit I was using a quote that could be applied just as easily to your argument, and it probably looked odd given how and where I used it. For the record, I haven't a clue what happened regarding the legacy pack giveaway, so perhaps I am missing something in all this.
Ensign
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 1
# 120 Move This Blog Post
06-21-2013, 02:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegeek View Post
Let me see if I can express myself here...

I'm a firm believer that all human life is precious, no matter what their color, gender, age, culture, religion, politics, handicap, how they behave, or what they believe.

I also applaud many of the "firsts" pioneered by Star Trek. Human rights and the dignity and liberty of the individual are important.

I do not, however, appreciate the sexual orientation "bent" of this article or the plug for Stonewall and I don't believe that STO should be portrayed as a showcase for the GLBT community.

Diversity encompasses ALL of us, including those of us who hold different beliefs.

I am very disappointed that PWE allowed and promoted this. We are not allowed to discuss religion or politics or offensive topics on the forums, but this was deemed acceptable?

As my signature states, the above is all my own opinion and does not represent anyone's viewpoint but my own.

I could not have worded this better myself.

Pride has traditionally been a political event. The presence of this blog post is an endorsement by Cryptic of a political event, whether they meant for that to be the case or not.

I am in complete agreement with those that feel this blog is inappropriate. Cryptic is endorsing one group of people over others, and one fleet over others. Last I checked there were multiple LGBT fleets in game, why aren't they included, or even mentioned?

If this fleet wants to throw themselves a pride party and open the invite up to all STO players, then all power to them. However the details of their party and the invite should have been made in the General Discussion forum, not the official blog post section. I suggest this blog post be moved to that forum.

Oh and before anyone cries "Cryptic isn't endorsing anything", they are. Guest blogs don't just appear out of thin air by anyone. They have to be submitted, and signed off by someone at Cryptic/PWE in order to be added to the website.

Last edited by veritas4247; 06-21-2013 at 03:03 PM. Reason: Changed to quote the correct post.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:33 PM.