Career Officer
# 51
06-27-2013, 03:31 PM
Just thought I plug this: A social commentary on the state of the game, featuring V. Adm. LaRoca and Gen. Ssharki.

"Freedom is just a pretty idea unless it's backed by Force."

The Masterverse Timeline / Ten Forward Fanfics
Career Officer
# 52
06-27-2013, 03:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonsills View Post
So, perusing some old stuff on the Interwebs, I found a link to a site called I Write Like. It does a statistical analysis of a writing sample (the longer the better, apparently) to figure out what popular author you write most like. (Spoiler: If you submit internet comments or blog posts, it will almost certainly tell you you write like Cory Doctorow.)

Out of curiosity, I started feeding it the stories I've written here. Apparently, my Nniol stories are written in a style similar to that of Dan Brown; my Grunt stories come across as flavored with Arthur C. Clarke; and my first tale here, of VA Sills and the Hans Asperger, resembled the writing style of Isaac Asimov. Heady company indeed!

I thought it was fun. Anyone else want to give it a shot?
That's pretty cool.

A few random samples from my novels returned Dan Brown, Michael Crichton, William Gibson, and weirdly, (considering they're military-espionage technothrillers) James Joyce and Oscar Wilde. No hints of Larry Bond, Tom Clancy or Clive Cussler, which most actual readers compare my work to.

My STO fanfcs returned the likes of Douglas Adams, Dan Brown (again) Arthur C. Clark, George Orwell, Oscar Wilde (again) and P.G. Wodehouse. (?)

So what I'm wondering is, where's my movie deal?

Ensign
# 53
06-27-2013, 04:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusdkane View Post
Welcome to the LCs Very cool entry, it's nice to see the return of the Xindi
Thank you! I've been reading through the entries here and previous challenges as well. I'm really impressed with the ability of this community and how friendly everyone is.
Lt. Commander
# 54
06-27-2013, 05:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonsills View Post
So, perusing some old stuff on the Interwebs, I found a link to a site called I Write Like. It does a statistical analysis of a writing sample (the longer the better, apparently) to figure out what popular author you write most like. (Spoiler: If you submit internet comments or blog posts, it will almost certainly tell you you write like Cory Doctorow.)

I thought it was fun. Anyone else want to give it a shot?
interesting...Kurt Vonnegut, Chuck Palahniuk, David Foster Wallace, and yep, Cory Doctorow.
Career Officer
# 55
06-27-2013, 06:08 PM
Okay, got some more reading done.

@cosmonaut - wonderful entry, as usual. One of my favorite parts about reading all the LCs is seeing where people take different species that haven't really been well-established in canon. I really love the mystery and the mystique surrounding the Orions' slave culture, and the way you and patrickngo have sort of dived in from different ends and come up with some pretty similar conclusions is especially interesting.

@jonsills - another thing I love is mission adaptations, and watching people fill in between the lines and tell their story through the games. Very well done!

@maverickdude - too many ?s! I'll get back to you after you edit it.

@patchouli19 - whoa! Talk about peace through tyranny! I hope you'll be exploring this storyline further in future LCs...

@danqueller - I think this ongoing feud between two such profoundly arrogant individuals as Tosik and Rycho is one of the most amusing plots I've read in a long time. Needless to say, I'm loving it.

@knightraider6 - first off, great intro lyric (huge fan of Rush.) Second, yay moar Polekitty! And finally, yay moar Schrodi! Oh, wonderfully insane Schrodi... I do hope there's more of this to come...

@amurorx0 - very cool bit of backstory! Again, I'm hoping it doesn't end there.

Lt. Commander
# 56
06-27-2013, 07:25 PM
I put some of my entries into the I Write Like site too. The results: Dan Brown (when Captain Carter dies), Agatha Christie (when Carter ends up in a coma), and David Foster Wallace (never heard of him, when my ship got renamed and for my latest draft). Strangely enough, my current draft is about people's motivations and pleasures and is somewhat downcast, and it turns out that Mr. Wallace committed suicide. How bizarre.
Lt. Commander
# 57
06-27-2013, 09:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sander233 View Post

@aetan66 - oh, you tease...
Really? I'l have to pocket that for a later entry, but I've decided to turn my story into something else.
Truthfully I posted a wrong message, and to save face typed that up.......
But that's good to know

Quote:
Originally Posted by superhombre777 View Post
@ aten66 - will your entry be depressing?

...Of course I can still work this in somehow....

I love the Summer Event!
Career Officer
# 58
06-28-2013, 12:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by takeshi6 View Post
Very interesting story.

Never realized your Cagalli had that much mass.

On another note, that I Write Like site says that your story has a similar style to those by Arthur C. Clarke.
I put some of my other entries in and had Dan Brown, J.K. Rowling & Douglas Adams, Douglas Adams being my longest entry
Ikuzo, Trombe!
Captain
# 59
06-28-2013, 12:57 PM
I managed to get my entry in a little earlier this time. It wasn't initially how i was planning to write it but i was overall pleased with out it went out.

I'll have to check out that link and see what mine says, Probably "you write like a 5 year old with a crayon".
Captain
# 60
06-28-2013, 01:25 PM
That was a very serious (and good) story, Wraith, but this:

Quote:
"You can not just inject a dead body with blood from someone else to bring it back Captain, that is just plain ludicrous. That would be like me using a hypospray of Gorn DNA to regrow your arm. It just does not work that way."
made me literally LOL.
-------------------------------------------
I'm old enough not to care too much about what you think of me --
But I'm young enough to remember the future, the way things ought to be...

- Rush, "Cut To the Chase", Counterparts