Captain
# 71
06-20-2013, 08:46 PM
Polls are always a good thing. And Engineering Reports are certainly great. It's nice reading them and the Release Notes and seeing the progress.

If you're going to put up an ask a dev feature it would probably be good to start by making sure that everyone knows which Dev does what, an introduction feature. Also it might be worth keeping track of which dev gets the most responses.

While a poll may show people's concern over feature episodes, the dev responsible for clothes art (clipping issues, hairstyles, skirts) may actually have more business and people requesting their work.
Yes I support This

"Rise like Lions after slumber, In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew, Which in sleep had fallen on you-Ye are many they are few"
Survivor of Romulus
# 72
06-24-2013, 12:49 PM
Is there a way to cancel the event reputation cause i will not be able play the new event coming up
Career Officer
# 73
06-29-2013, 10:04 AM
I would actually prefer the traditional method to continue, though without the vague answers. If you guys aren't able / aren't willing to answer something, then you shouldn't. I'd rather have no answer from an Ask Cryptic Question than a vague answer.

Vague answers actually annoy us more.
Starfleet Veteran
# 74
06-30-2013, 07:40 PM
I read this earlier, but layout the projects in priority and status of them.

It would help people to understand the levels of approvals and technical reviews that go into these things.

Basically have a status board from inactive, to concept building, pending legal/corporate/cbs approval, coding, testing internal/external, implementing. Have ETIC dates with error bars and don't be afraid to revise them. I am not sure what your process is, i tried to make generic titles for some of our benchmarks.

Most of the people here have never worked on a big project like this and those complain will likely complain anyways. It feels like GM/ticket support and dev updates are more geared to keeping out of the gripe beam from the trolls than the audience of players that would actually appreciate it.

Don't let the trolls claim the bridge, keep the information coming over the river for us common folk!
Rihannsu
# 75
07-01-2013, 09:26 AM
The dev tracker section of the forums has been empty for some time now. Could we us that some more, kind of for the interview a dev of the blog topic idea?
Commander
# 76
07-02-2013, 07:59 AM
It speaks volumes that Cryptic wants to evolve the content that the Ask Cryptic features and I applaud this.

For far to long now the MMO industry as a whole has been more directed towards the theme park style of MMO then the sandbox style and things like Ask Cryptic could help to change this because more and more players are becoming bored to death of playing in an environment that they can not change anything in besides their character stats, their level, and their bank accounts.

I would much rather a ship system in STO where instead of getting a new ship every 10 levels I can put my existing ship into a "dry dock" and upgrade things like the rank of stations, console slots, weapon slots, etc. You can still charge ZEN to buy these upgrades and provide a revenue stream for the game that way, and you can provide a set number of free upgrades each time to reward the player in that process.
Community Moderator
# 77
07-02-2013, 09:23 AM
Can we get an "Ask A Dev" about the QA process?

I think that would be enlightening.
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online forums -- My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a "forums and website" support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
Captain
# 78
07-02-2013, 12:08 PM
For me personally i would like to see a monthly content poll, something official that asks the player base what they would like to see next. Not only would it allow directed feedback into what the people want, but it could showcase a few ideas the team is kicking around and direct them on which to put the most energy into. Mayb there could be the top ten things being developed, big or small as well as allowing player suggestions could also be added to the forums, like the "ASK CRYPTIC" questions, where the more frequently requested things would make it onto the poll then into the game if there were enough votes behind it.

the best place to implement this of course is the forums, but it would also be great to have ingame in a few key places, A contact on the federation council in SanFran, A member of the Klingon High command on Qo'Nos, One of D'Tan's lackey's on New Romulus, The Temple of the profits on DS9, there are a million places you could put a contact for something like this. The diplomatic contact was a great idea that was never fully implemented, and this would be available at max rank rather than diplomatic max.

For the first one i would love to see something along the lines of what to add to the Character Creator to enhance customization.

1) Making selectable body skin options (i.e. infected, aged, neck scales or cardassian, Remen)

2) More hair (preferably with out the bald patches)

3) More known species (preferably as a free update((I personally want to play as a Jem'Hadar))

4) more unique clothing (dixon hill or fair haven maybe?)

5) Iconic uniform options (away team belt options)

6) EV suits ($7 is ridiculously too high)

7) Less than human models (More variety like Gorn females, Tholians, Edosian)

8) Revamp/asset pass (basically going back and updating a lot of the older assets to make them nicer((would be a great time to implement option 1))

9) MOAR BORG!!! (more options for liberated borg besides headpieces. This would include basic implant options for the rest of the body as well as full on borg tech that wasn't just on the head((SEE OPTION 1))

10) regular free additions (maybe bi-weekly or once a month, but one free item would be constantly added on a regular basis. It could be a shirt, a hair style, anything from above, a pair of boots, just any asset the devs wanted but free and every two or four weeks)
Ensign
# 79 BOFF's
07-02-2013, 01:01 PM
I'm still semi new to the game so I'm asuming that BOFF means Bridge officers... I don't know
what the other F stands for.. but what ever. I'm going to write this as if I'm writing a letter to cryptic. Hopfully I'm in the right forum for this... so here goes..

Dear Cryptic,
I've noticed around me that MANY people even within my own fleet are buying or saving up to buy, Talshiar ships, or other alien ships. Though they are part of the federation. Thats fine, but The federation isn't the Jem'Hadar or the dominion. (Sounding to trekkie here), But why not make the federation ships stronger. Yeah we could buy the retrofit ships, or tier 5 ships, which all take ALOT of time. And most peoples idea is "Why wait" when I can get a monster of a ship. I don't know if this is gonna get read by anyone important, or someone that can do nything about it.. But I hope it does. Here is my suggestion. And EVEN a way you could make money off of it, even though I wouldn't want to pay for it through the C-store.. I think I would definatly do it just so I could use some of my favorte federation cruisers.

1. (The way to make money off of this idea, idea) You know how you sell those ship moduals at an OVER PRICED 5$ a pop, well why don't you make Officer training mods, for ships that already exsist. This is how it would work. Just like buying ship mods, you would buy Station Mods. It would of course be your choice on how to work out, but I was thinking, more like, depending on the rank of the station. I have a Mirror Assult Cruiser. It has a Lut.Comannder station for tactical. SO I would buy 4 Station mods, or Station officer mods to upgrade the station to Commander. Of course you would have to buy a mod for each ship station. The only reason I bring this is up is because I have the TOS Enterprise ship.. But I can't fly the thing becuase it to damn weak. 2 shots and I'm dead. I hate it. I want to fly it, but can't becuase the stations can't be upgraded in ANY way.

2. ALSO different mods would be for sale or earned somehow to add and upgrade consols on ships. My TOS ship has one science, one Tactical, one engeneering consol place. I want to be able to add more to be able to have more then just one. A max on lgith cruisers could be something like 2 tactical 3 engeneering, and 3 Science. That way, there is no over doing it. But I'm getting tired of seeing people buy alien ships that ARE NOT federation ship, and the federation ships being some of the weakest in the game. I hate it. Plus for the fact that I spent GOOD money on the TOS ship. I would like to use it every once in a while, and not just say I have it.. What good is that???? Let me know what you think.
Captain
# 80
07-03-2013, 06:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by milanvorius View Post
I read this earlier, but layout the projects in priority and status of them.

It would help people to understand the levels of approvals and technical reviews that go into these things.

Basically have a status board from inactive, to concept building, pending legal/corporate/cbs approval, coding, testing internal/external, implementing. Have ETIC dates with error bars and don't be afraid to revise them. I am not sure what your process is, i tried to make generic titles for some of our benchmarks.

Most of the people here have never worked on a big project like this and those complain will likely complain anyways. It feels like GM/ticket support and dev updates are more geared to keeping out of the gripe beam from the trolls than the audience of players that would actually appreciate it.

Don't let the trolls claim the bridge, keep the information coming over the river for us common folk!
A status board. Spectacular idea. As long as they kept it well updated it could squash many ongoing questions.

Set it up so that it looks like a Starbase or event project. It would also be a great place to put up concept art and the in development pics like they did when they were building the Odyssey.
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkcrowred View Post
I'm still semi new to the game so I'm asuming that BOFF means Bridge officers... I don't know
what the other F stands for.. but what ever. I'm going to write this as if I'm writing a letter to cryptic. Hopfully I'm in the right forum for this... so here goes..

Dear Cryptic,
I've noticed around me that MANY people even within my own fleet are buying or saving up to buy, Talshiar ships, or other alien ships. Though they are part of the federation. Thats fine, but The federation isn't the Jem'Hadar or the dominion. (Sounding to trekkie here), But why not make the federation ships stronger. Yeah we could buy the retrofit ships, or tier 5 ships, which all take ALOT of time. And most peoples idea is "Why wait" when I can get a monster of a ship. I don't know if this is gonna get read by anyone important, or someone that can do nything about it.. But I hope it does. Here is my suggestion. And EVEN a way you could make money off of it, even though I wouldn't want to pay for it through the C-store.. I think I would definatly do it just so I could use some of my favorte federation cruisers.

1. (The way to make money off of this idea, idea) You know how you sell those ship moduals at an OVER PRICED 5$ a pop, well why don't you make Officer training mods, for ships that already exsist. This is how it would work. Just like buying ship mods, you would buy Station Mods. It would of course be your choice on how to work out, but I was thinking, more like, depending on the rank of the station. I have a Mirror Assult Cruiser. It has a Lut.Comannder station for tactical. SO I would buy 4 Station mods, or Station officer mods to upgrade the station to Commander. Of course you would have to buy a mod for each ship station. The only reason I bring this is up is because I have the TOS Enterprise ship.. But I can't fly the thing becuase it to damn weak. 2 shots and I'm dead. I hate it. I want to fly it, but can't becuase the stations can't be upgraded in ANY way.

2. ALSO different mods would be for sale or earned somehow to add and upgrade consols on ships. My TOS ship has one science, one Tactical, one engeneering consol place. I want to be able to add more to be able to have more then just one. A max on lgith cruisers could be something like 2 tactical 3 engeneering, and 3 Science. That way, there is no over doing it. But I'm getting tired of seeing people buy alien ships that ARE NOT federation ship, and the federation ships being some of the weakest in the game. I hate it. Plus for the fact that I spent GOOD money on the TOS ship. I would like to use it every once in a while, and not just say I have it.. What good is that???? Let me know what you think.
It's not a bad idea, but as far as I know, CBS has axed any plans to make Constitution class ships viable for end game. Cryptic isn't keeping it weak because they want to but because CBS says that it would egregiously violate canon. Which isn't inaccurate. You're ticked off that a Connie gets curbstomped, but imagine if you were in a Scimitar and a Constitution was actually able to put up a meaningful fight. It's absurd.

That said, the station mod idea is pretty damn cool and would enable people to reqork existing ships.

There would need to be a restriction because eventually everyone would simply by all the slots and have a ship full of commander stations.

@wraithshadow13
That's a great idea, and to sneak it in, seeing more of San Francisco would be great. Though I should point out that the Federation Council meets in Paris. Which is also a great idea, after all the Klingons have an academy and a city. KDF warriors feel free to brag about it. Though I don't Cryptic should feel obligated to include Eiffel Tower access.

A Federation Council contact would be great...especially if they were working against Section 31. Just sayin.

And I'll throw my vote in, more body details would be welcome. Borg pieces especially. When the Borg bridge officer is rocking her mid riff a stray implant would really drive the point home. Same for scaled humanoids. I'm hoping that it's already being worked on, it's definitely something the team considers, look at the Caitians/Ferasans.
Yes I support This

"Rise like Lions after slumber, In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew, Which in sleep had fallen on you-Ye are many they are few"
Closed Thread