Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Ten Forward
Login

Career Officer
# 11
06-29-2013, 09:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by scruffyvulcan View Post
In my humble opinion, Insurrection and Generations are far worse than Star Trek V.

Yes, the story in Trek V is pretty lame, but the character interactions are very fun, IMO.

It's on par with the less-than-stellar episodes of TOS.
Nailed it. If nothing else its great nostalgia.
"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward." - Rocky Balboa (2006)
Captain
# 12
06-29-2013, 09:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by collegepark2151 View Post
Follow it up with the Star Wars Christmas Special to really round out your experience.
Please, no. You know how long it took to stop my eyeballs bleeding the last time?
Captain
# 13
07-02-2013, 07:41 AM
Hell no. Almost as bad as the majority of TOS / TAS.

Cryptic! Need some FREE KDF uniform options that you wont have to make? See Here.
JJ. Trek is just as canon and awesome as all other Trek, Get over it.
Unofficial Bortasq' Uniform colour guide here.
Captain
# 14
07-02-2013, 08:45 AM
It's undoubtedly a low point in the movie series as a whole... arguably, the lowest; at least, I'd find it easier to defend "Insurrection" or even "Nemesis" than I would this one.

The main problem, I think, is massive self-indulgence on the part of William Shatner, making his character look super-cool at the expense of... well, just about everything and everyone else, really. Most of the other series regulars are just caricatures of themselves, and the overall idea behind the story is... pretty thin. At best.

It's not the worst movie I've ever seen, but I have seen some real doozies in my time... basically, your life will not be in any way incomplete if you don't bother with it.
Career Officer
# 15
07-02-2013, 11:17 AM
The movie had it's moments but I've noticed that any movie directed by Shatner or books written by Shatner will always put Kirk as the focal point of the story because he thinks he is the center of the Star Trek Universe.

Vice Admiral Juda USS Manxman, Vice Admiral Hessed USS Shalom, Vice Admiral S'Motis RRW Sparrow, Vice Admiral Kadosh USS Yisrael, Vice Admiral Sh'ma USS Shalome, Lt Gen Rerrr IKS K'Rok
Captain
# 16
07-02-2013, 12:25 PM
Its not the best Trek movie, but I think its no worse then Insurrection or JJ Trek.
Career Officer
# 17
07-02-2013, 01:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by otisnoble View Post
...Shatner will always put Kirk as the focal point of the story because he thinks he is the center of the Star Trek Universe.
as well as the center of this universe.

Porthos is not amused.
Career Officer
# 18
07-02-2013, 01:26 PM
If you watch it like a comedy it actually works most of the time.
Captain
# 19
07-02-2013, 01:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jestersage View Post
We all know that Star trek V had been joked as "the end of the franchise", and so I actually skipped it. But looking back from 20 odd years now, do you think it's an okay choice as a Summer flick at home, or a literal case of do not even bother?
What ended the franchies was Gnerations not ST 5 as I rather liked that one but than again I more of ToS,TMP fan.
Age StarTrek-Gamers Administrator
USS WARRIOR NCC 1720 Commanding Officer
Star Trek Gamers
Captain
# 20
07-02-2013, 04:34 PM
Star Trek V is one of the worst films of the franchise but for me it is a case of sharing worst film with another movie. *Not the reboot*

The Kirk-Spock-McCoy scenes I liked. Especially Kirk refusing Sybok's gift.

Including Kirk's question to "God"

Other than that the film was crap. Skip able? Yeah I would say so.

I do think that the story while the premise of finding God was an interesting while far fetched idea.. but doomed to fail. But the journey itself maybe you do find god elsewhere.. In your heart.

But most of the movie failed executing any subtly that could have went into it or much reasonable story events. Yes So much went wrong with this film...

Last edited by chrisedallen89; 07-02-2013 at 04:38 PM.