Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 955
# 11
07-03-2013, 09:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterde3 View Post
According to "The Path to 2409" the last Starfleet Officers who toyed with cloaking devices (after Hobus) were courtmartialed for it and the president signed an executive order banning cloaks.
So forget the cloak.
According to the tooltip on the cloaking device itself, the Federation is actively developing cloaking tech at present.

The ban is lifted at present time in the game, and Federation cloaks are on the table.
Survivor of Romulus
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,380
# 12
07-03-2013, 10:52 PM
Not according to "The Path to 2409" Volume 16 Part 1 & 2

The only reason the Defiant-R and Galaxy-X have the Cloaking device is because they did in the TV Shows. Both ships where one of a kind. But it would suck wanting to fly a Defiant but being told the Defiant is in use ATM as there can be only 1.

2 Factions have cloaking ships pick one and stop asking for Fed cloaking tech.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Path to 2409, Vol 16, Ch 1
Tragedy struck for Starfleet on Stardate 72487.91, when the U.S.S. Kelso was lost with all hands.

The Kelso was supposed to be on a routine mission to study the long-term effects of the Hobus supernova on star systems in the Devron Sector when it was destroyed. Initial reports indicated that the Kelso could have come under attack. However, when the remains of the vessel were recovered by the U.S.S. April, it was found that a coolant leak caused by an experimental cloaking device onboard the Kelso caused plasma to vent from the ship. The plasma reacted with ionizing radiation present in the area, causing the explosion which destroyed the Kelso.

After careful consideration, Captain Barax Wenn of the April revealed the cause of the Kelso's destruction to the captains of the Romulan ships assisting in the search for the vessel. In response, Praetor Taris lodged an immediate complaint with the Federation Council, and, as a "gesture of good faith," informed the Klingon Empire of the details of the Kelso's destruction as well.

Starfleet Security admitted that the U.S.S. Kelso was testing a Federation cloaking device. The Romulans then ejected all Federation diplomats and ships from their space in protest, and Chancellor J'mpok recalled the Klingon ambassador to the Federation back to Qo'noS for "strategic discussions."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Path to 2409, Vol 16, Ch 2
After the revelation that Starfleet was testing a cloaking device, tensions between the Federation, Romulans and Klingons were at their highest point since the destruction of the Romulan homeworld in 2387. After a full inquiry, six members of Starfleet Security were court-martialed.

It took three months for Federation President Aennik Okeg to convince the Romulans and the Klingons to send representatives to a summit to discuss the situation. When the meeting finally began, Okeg made the Federation's position clear. He apologized for the experiments into cloaking technology, and said that he had signed an executive order banning all research into or creation of Federation cloaking technology.

"The narrow legal view may be that the Treaty of Algeron ended when Romulus was destroyed," Okeg said. "The Romulan Star Empire we knew is gone, and you are a new people. What has not changed is the Federation's commitment to peace."
I was once DKnight1000, apparently I had taken my own name so now I'm DKnight0001.
If I ask you a question it is not an insult but a genuine attempt to understand why.
When I insult you I won't be discreet about it, I will be precise and to the point stupid.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 955
# 13
07-04-2013, 07:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dknight0001 View Post
Not according to "The Path to 2409" Volume 16 Part 1 & 2

The only reason the Defiant-R and Galaxy-X have the Cloaking device is because they did in the TV Shows. Both ships where one of a kind. But it would suck wanting to fly a Defiant but being told the Defiant is in use ATM as there can be only 1.

2 Factions have cloaking ships pick one and stop asking for Fed cloaking tech.
sigh.

Quote:
The Treaty of Algeron, signed in 2311 by the Romulan Star Empire and the United Federation of Planets, prohibited Federation cloaking devices. This agreement has been a source of controversy in Starfleet, where some officers believed it severely limited tactical options and put the Federation at a disadvantage.

Although the Federation initially agreed to follow the treaty after the destruction of the Romulan homeworld, in early 2409 Starfleet was authorized to develop and implement cloaking technology on selected ships.
This is taken directly from the tooltip description of the Federation Cloaking Device. It clearly states that, as of 2409, the Federation is no longer abiding by the treaty. Say what you will, but this is canon in-game despite how you may feel about it.

As such, there's no reason to not expand the Federation's roster of cloaking capable ships.

Now, do I think the Federation really needs more cloaking ships? Not necessarily. Arguing it goes against lore or whatever is flat out wrong, though.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 154
# 14
07-05-2013, 01:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dknight0001 View Post
The Federation do not develop cloaking devices, the Tactical Escort Retrofit is basically the Defiant from DS9 it's a one off ship, but hey only 1 in the game would be boring and unfair.

The Gal X was a one of a kind vessel. It was Admiral Rikers Command ship, the Enterprise D massively upgraded. See above reasoning.

In the game the Federation has announced it's long standing belief in not developing cloaks.

If you want a Cloaked ship roll a Romulan or a Klingon. You can have any colour palette you want for UI so done.

Romulans/Lock Boxes will be getting the new ships for quite some time now.

But in all fairness you do have a good idea, instead of a T5 Oberth, make a ship that reminds you of it. The question is would it be equal or better than the Vesta? I'm thinking not so much.
And yet, the KDF players are demanding a 5 forwarding ship instead of rolling either a fed or romulan character.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 4,036
# 15
07-05-2013, 02:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thratch1 View Post
This is taken directly from the tooltip description of the Federation Cloaking Device. It clearly states that, as of 2409, the Federation is no longer abiding by the treaty. Say what you will, but this is canon in-game despite how you may feel about it.

As such, there's no reason to not expand the Federation's roster of cloaking capable ships.

Now, do I think the Federation really needs more cloaking ships? Not necessarily. Arguing it goes against lore or whatever is flat out wrong, though.
There is an obvious argument against it however:
in the very episode this cloaking device came from, the Enterprise actually used it onscreen yet the non-Dreadnought Galaxy in this game, in any of her 3 incarnations, did not get the cloaking device. So why should the ship that faled to used it actually get one?
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 4,036
# 16
07-05-2013, 02:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chi1701d View Post
And yet, the KDF players are demanding a 5 forwarding ship instead of rolling either a fed or romulan character.
Well, no faction has one with 6 forward slots. So how about one of those instead?

*EDIT: I also recall the biggest complaint was that it should not become a copy of the Kumari (=escort with 5 fwd slots) hence the idea of a battlecruiser with 5 fwd slots which would not be a copy of the Kumari but a design of its own. But suddenly even an original idea is somehow "stealing" from the Feds*

Last edited by misterde3; 07-05-2013 at 02:19 AM.
Survivor of Romulus
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,380
# 17
07-05-2013, 06:20 AM
I think Klingons just want more ships, not nessecary a 5th forward weapon ship.

Feds have gotten the lions share of ships in this game, heck a group of Feds got upset when the Romulans got the Scimitar and they didn't get anything.

thratch1, the problem is there are two contradictory in game mentions of cloaking devices.

The President of the Federation stating the Federations commitment to peace means they will not develop cloaking tech and the device saying they no longer care about peace.

But the Federation not caring about it doesn't seem very Star Trek.
I was once DKnight1000, apparently I had taken my own name so now I'm DKnight0001.
If I ask you a question it is not an insult but a genuine attempt to understand why.
When I insult you I won't be discreet about it, I will be precise and to the point stupid.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 154
# 18
07-05-2013, 08:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dknight0001 View Post
I think Klingons just want more ships, not nessecary a 5th forward weapon ship.

Feds have gotten the lions share of ships in this game, heck a group of Feds got upset when the Romulans got the Scimitar and they didn't get anything.

thratch1, the problem is there are two contradictory in game mentions of cloaking devices.

The President of the Federation stating the Federations commitment to peace means they will not develop cloaking tech and the device saying they no longer care about peace.

But the Federation not caring about it doesn't seem very Star Trek.
Then the issue goes towards why is the federation aligned with romulans who openly use banned biogenic weapons?

Though there could be a way to seperate the phasing cloak from the actual cloaking device.

This device is also present on the Kar'fi. No idea how the KDF managed to steal that tech from the Federation though.
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 134
# 19
07-05-2013, 10:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterde3 View Post
According to "The Path to 2409" the last Starfleet Officers who toyed with cloaking devices (after Hobus) were courtmartialed for it and the president signed an executive order banning cloaks.
So forget the cloak.

While I find the idea of a T5 Oberth hilarious (the ship was the ultimate redshirt after all) I'd be very interested in a science ship of a different kind:

One of the design concepts for the Pegasus before they decided to use the Oberth due to budgetary concerns looked like a Nebula built out of Ambassador parts.

http://images.wikia.com/memoryalpha/...usspegasus.jpg

Since we have both the Ambassador and the Nebula, why not this ship as well.
Throw in a dorsal module and voila a new science ship.
Interesting points.

My understanding is that the Federation was prevented from using cloaking tech due to a treaty with the Romulans. The Federation is now involved with the Romulan Civil War which possibly voids that treaty allowing the Federation to develop and use cloaking tech. The Federation is now, in fact, loaning ships to the Romulans so the question is if they outfit a Patrol Escort (as an example) with a cloaking device, is Starfleet obligated to remove it when the Romulans return the ship or does the fact the device was not removed seen as permission to use it?

I also wonder what is considered cloaking technology? Couldn't one consider Mask Energy Signature be viewed as a cloak of sorts?
"Live Long and Prosper but always carry a fully charged phaser, just in case!". Arrr'ow

Co-Leader of Serenity's Grasp
Survivor of Romulus
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,380
# 20
07-05-2013, 09:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chi1701d View Post
Then the issue goes towards why is the federation aligned with romulans who openly use banned biogenic weapons?

Though there could be a way to seperate the phasing cloak from the actual cloaking device.

This device is also present on the Kar'fi. No idea how the KDF managed to steal that tech from the Federation though.
It's one of the Contradictions in the game I guess. Only one Defiant had a cloaking device but in game all T5 Defiants get the choice of a Cloaking Console. Only Riker had a Galaxy Dreadnought with cloaking device, but in the game everyone can have one.

Now I can assume that after Sisko worked out the bugs the Defiant went into production, it must have they got a replacement for it. I don't assume that any other Galaxy Class was given the upgrades Admiral Rikers got.

The Scimitar was a one of a kind ship too, but for the game they made it a three pack and in the movie it had that weapon so the game one has that weapon. I'd have preferred it to be a Plasma Cascade Pulse (same thing new name) but to make it like the movie we get Banned Thalaron weapons. And nobody (Starfleet/KDF Leadership) gives a damn.

Also the Klingons took the Kar'Fi from the Feklar so the real question is how did the Feklar get Federation secrets?

Fun and Game Balance sometime have to come before Canon accuracy. But in some ways you can go too far, Federation ships having a cloaking device is one of those. Exceptions to the rule being the show accurate ships. The Romulans getting a 3 piece Banned Weapon is ok I guess. Also because sitting around for 12s in PVP is begging for somebody to pop you before the thing goes off.
I was once DKnight1000, apparently I had taken my own name so now I'm DKnight0001.
If I ask you a question it is not an insult but a genuine attempt to understand why.
When I insult you I won't be discreet about it, I will be precise and to the point stupid.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:34 AM.