Career Officer
# 21
07-06-2013, 01:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dknight0001 View Post
The Federation do not develop cloaking devices, ....
Thanks Gene, dead since forever and STILL leaving your "mark" in trek......

We're very fortunate he got booted when he did, any more and trek may not have survived TNG!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sorceror01 View Post
....you are a bad starship captain and you should feel bad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tachyonharmonic View Post
However, I think with regard to the Romulan Republic player characters/npcs, it all comes down to a finite point:

These are not the Romulans from the shows.
Survivor of Romulus
# 22
07-06-2013, 05:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyranger1414 View Post
Thanks Gene, dead since forever and STILL leaving your "mark" in trek......

We're very fortunate he got booted when he did, any more and trek may not have survived TNG!
Let me get this right, you're complaining about the creator of Star Trek leaving a mark on Star Trek??? *facepalm*
Show your support for the Revamped Galaxy Class Exploration Cruiser here!
Captain
# 23
07-06-2013, 07:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dknight0001 View Post
It's one of the Contradictions in the game I guess. Only one Defiant had a cloaking device but in game all T5 Defiants get the choice of a Cloaking Console. Only Riker had a Galaxy Dreadnought with cloaking device, but in the game everyone can have one.

Now I can assume that after Sisko worked out the bugs the Defiant went into production, it must have they got a replacement for it. I don't assume that any other Galaxy Class was given the upgrades Admiral Rikers got.

The Scimitar was a one of a kind ship too, but for the game they made it a three pack and in the movie it had that weapon so the game one has that weapon. I'd have preferred it to be a Plasma Cascade Pulse (same thing new name) but to make it like the movie we get Banned Thalaron weapons. And nobody (Starfleet/KDF Leadership) gives a damn.

Also the Klingons took the Kar'Fi from the Feklar so the real question is how did the Feklar get Federation secrets?

Fun and Game Balance sometime have to come before Canon accuracy. But in some ways you can go too far, Federation ships having a cloaking device is one of those. Exceptions to the rule being the show accurate ships. The Romulans getting a 3 piece Banned Weapon is ok I guess. Also because sitting around for 12s in PVP is begging for somebody to pop you before the thing goes off.
no proof that only Admiral Riker's E-D was the only galaxy with cloak at that time.
Captain
# 24
07-06-2013, 08:56 AM
Forum Pro-Tip: Anytime you ask for any sort of Cloaking Device on a Federation vessel, there will be at least 1 KDF that will appear to throw down your suggestion.

I mean really, there were KDF crying over the Romulans having cloaking devices on all of their ships, even though they ARE the masters of cloaking, and the KDF wouldn't even have them without the early Klingon-Romulan alliance.

And, I think it's amusing that for a species that puts so much upon honor and pride and dignity, that they would even use a cloaking device to begin with.
Constant exposure to the same opinions leads to continual reinforcement of ideas until eventually, any challenge, no matter what form it takes, is going to be met with a disproportionate sense of outrage. Room for reasoned discussion can no longer occur.

Starfleet Veteran
# 25
07-06-2013, 09:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by baelogventure View Post
And, I think it's amusing that for a species that puts so much upon honor and pride and dignity, that they would even use a cloaking device to begin with.
Klingon Honor is not anything humans would consider honor. This is largely the point of Worf's entire character development, that his vision of honor is distorted by his distinctly human upbringing, and that Klingons will never live up to his expectations because they do not share the same concepts of honor. He summed it up best when he said, "Nothing is more honorable than victory."

Even Martok, who felt that the old ways of honor were dead, subscribed to a definition of honor that allowed the slaughter of old men and the walking wounded (the annihilation of the Cardassian tenth order), and to celebrate the slaughter of hundreds of millions of civilians, drinking a victory toast while standing on their corpses.
Captain
# 26
07-06-2013, 07:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shpoks View Post
Let me get this right, you're complaining about the creator of Star Trek leaving a mark on Star Trek??? *facepalm*
Look up Gene Coon (AKA, the guy who actually created all of the things we remember from Star Trek).

The first two seasons of TNG -- the seasons helmed by Gene Roddenberry -- were garbage. Star Trek only endured because of other people fighting against Gene, not because of him.
Survivor of Romulus
# 27
07-07-2013, 04:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thratch1 View Post
Look up Gene Coon (AKA, the guy who actually created all of the things we remember from Star Trek).

The first two seasons of TNG -- the seasons helmed by Gene Roddenberry -- were garbage. Star Trek only endured because of other people fighting against Gene, not because of him.
Pointless, because it's a matter of preference. Anyway, that's not what I ment - complaining about Gene Roddenberry leaving a mark on Star Trek is the same as complaining about George Washington leaving a mark on the American independence, just because someone happens to not like George Washington.
Show your support for the Revamped Galaxy Class Exploration Cruiser here!
Career Officer
# 28
07-07-2013, 04:39 AM
I could really care less about the cloak however, the phasing capability would be awesome and yes they should include that in their line of ships. Making a fed ship that could phase out of existance for a few seconds would greatly improve science ships alround. It would be very nice to be immune to being hit by anything for that period of time in one of those fed fleet defense events that would be nice to have!

I say yes very much so, make it a console!
I would like for the devs to open a poll/feedback thread on what exactly the players would like to see in the near future for the game.
Career Officer
# 29
07-07-2013, 06:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hevach View Post
Even Martok, who felt that the old ways of honor were dead, subscribed to a definition of honor that allowed the slaughter of old men and the walking wounded (the annihilation of the Cardassian tenth order), and to celebrate the slaughter of hundreds of millions of civilians, drinking a victory toast while standing on their corpses.
Ever heard of the "Volkssturm"?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkssturm

Do you think it was wrong of the Wetern and Eastern allied soldiers who faced them to...actually shoot at them?
Or to be happy they defeated the Germans after overcoming them?