Career Officer
# 1 Foreign Transaction Fee
07-09-2013, 04:19 PM
Buyer beware. When purchasing Zen with a credit card you are subject to a foreign transaction fee by your bank or credit card company. Citibank hit me with a $1.50 fee for buying Zen. Is there anyway PWE or Cryptic can help to offset the fee? Otherwise that's the last time I buy Zen.
Career Officer
# 2
07-09-2013, 06:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikec1013 View Post
Buyer beware. When purchasing Zen with a credit card you are subject to a foreign transaction fee by your bank or credit card company. Citibank hit me with a $1.50 fee for buying Zen. Is there anyway PWE or Cryptic can help to offset the fee? Otherwise that's the last time I buy Zen.
Its unlikely that Cryptic/PWE can do anything to help you with this, as this is a issue strictly between you and your financial institution... This is one of the reasons why I use the Pre-Paid Game cards... Purchased at a local store with local currency, and no foreign transaction fee involved...

Just purchased and entered one of the 'Ultimate' game cards for $20 this afternoon, since the bonus for it is good until the end of the month..

http://sto.perfectworld.com/news/?p=901271

Last edited by grouchyotaku; 07-09-2013 at 06:33 PM.
Rihannsu
# 3
07-09-2013, 07:17 PM
You didn't say where you live, but since you're subject to those fees I'd guess you're not from the US, where Cryptic and PWE are based (before you ask, their parent company PWI, is in China, but cryptic is technically part of PWE, which is based in the US). Those fees really a fact of life while using any internet service not in your home country.

Last edited by f9thaceshigh; 07-09-2013 at 07:20 PM.
Career Officer
# 4
07-10-2013, 08:47 AM
wow I'll count my blessings O.O I was hit with one on a sub for CO for .45, the next billing came from a Cali address so no international banking charge for that one.

STO Open Beta member since 2010.
Lt. Commander
# 5
07-10-2013, 09:09 AM
Hmmm I have never had this for subscriptions. I am in the UK but subscribed to the US City of Heroes for years without extra fees. Even WoW is based in Velize France, and the only oddities were the occasional security check for suddenly using my card abroad.
========================================
SABLE SQUADRON ~ Caitian Engineer
The bigger the ship the better.
Empire Veteran
# 6
07-10-2013, 10:48 AM
Use Paypal; don't use Citibank. (My bank does not charge me 'foreign transaction fees', although their exchange rate is suspect.)
Joined October 2009. READ BEFORE POSTING
Career Officer
# 7
07-10-2013, 06:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by f9thaceshigh View Post
You didn't say where you live, but since you're subject to those fees I'd guess you're not from the US, where Cryptic and PWE are based (before you ask, their parent company PWI, is in China, but cryptic is technically part of PWE, which is based in the US). Those fees really a fact of life while using any internet service not in your home country.
I'm in the US. I paid for my lifetime subscription and I know I bought C-points without this issue. I'm not sure if this was the first time I purchased Zen or not. Either way, PWE, PWI, and/or Cryptic should have a glaring warning that this could happen. Considering I paid more than the price advertised, I essentially didn't get what I paid for. I'm considering disputing the charge with my c/c company. I'll file a ticket with billing support and see if they step up to the plate.

So, I attempted to file a ticket with billing support. Lo and behold, their website isn't working. I tried Firefox and IE.
Brandon, this is why we hate your company.

Last edited by mikec1013; 07-10-2013 at 06:59 PM. Reason: Update with billing ticket info
Career Officer
# 8
07-10-2013, 10:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikec1013 View Post
.... I'm considering disputing the charge with my c/c company. I'll file a ticket with billing support and see if they step up to the plate.
Take a deep breath and think a moment... You're considering filing a dispute against your Credit Card Company for adding a foreign transaction fee... as Cryptic/PWE has nothing to do with the 'foreign transaction' fee, it was your Credit Card company who added it. You can ask your Credit Card Company to easily confirm this...