Lt. Commander
# 1 Opening Up the Klingon Empire
07-13-2013, 06:04 PM
First, Id like to state that I do not have, or intend to make, a Klingon Character. Second, Good job Cryptic the Expansion seems to have turned out pretty good. But I would like to see how many people agree with me here and if maybe we could tap on the Devs shoulders and remind them of this possibility.

When I look at the current Galaxy Map I cant help but notice the severe lack of Klingon Empire youre able to Explore/Defend as a Klingon. There is obviously plenty of space below the Eta Eridani and Omega Leonis Blocks for atleast two more Sector Blocks. This would open up the area not just for Klingons but Feds and Romulans as well. The map specifically shows that the Klingons own a huge porton of the Galaxy south of the Omega Leonis Block and the Feds own a good portion below the Eta Eridani Block.

Opening this area up would give the Devs more space to add in Episodic Content and minor content to help fill in the gaps in Klingon Storyline. It will also add to the 'War with the Klingons' that we see in early game-play.

Note: I know a lot of people view the war with the Klingons to be worthless and, because of end game content, confusing. But Ive always viewed the missions from the first one to the STFs to be over the course of time...When your character first picks up his command we're knee deep in war..But by the time your character makes his/her way to Gamma Orionis the war is beginning to cool off. By the sheer number of missions you and your friends go one destroying entire Task Forces and Fleets of Klingons/Federation. Its understandable that theres not much of a fight left in the war by the time you move on to the Romulan issue.

Besides the incursions (enemy contacts) through out both factions space. The actual warzone in Eta Eridani is pretty unconvincing and well..meh. With another Sector Block opened up south of Eta Eridani the image and feel of a war going on would come into better focus. Opening this area would also be a good excuse to revisit the games PvP and do some serious tweaking. I havent played PvP since October of 2012 but I get the feeling Cryptic has done very little in the way of any PvP fixes.

Theres also an area on the Galaxy map north of Omega Leonis that obviously shows, again, that the Klingon Empire has atleast ownership of a portion of another Sector Block skirting the fringes of Romulan Space. This area can easily be seen on the far side of Tau Dewa Sector Block and Psi Velorum Sector Block. In the Lore leading up to the current timeline of this game. Its revealed that in the fall of Romulus that the Klingons invaded Romulan Space. Retaking areas once given up to the Romulans. Its not beyond belief that during the course of the war with the Federation the Klingons are trying to spread their borders into the very weakened Romulan Sectors...This would open up an area for more content for all three factions and give the Romulans and Klingons a more distinct KDF/Romulan Empire PvP area.

I know it hasnt been that long since the release of the Romulan Faction and everything that came with it. But I hope the Devs are seriously looking at going back and giving the Klingons some serious attention. Adding to the KDF cant hurt Cryptic or their bottomline...It can only help it and give STO and Cryptic a better image in the overall MMO Community.

Last edited by standupguy86; 07-13-2013 at 06:07 PM.
Survivor of Romulus
# 2
07-13-2013, 06:44 PM
Well, I must say that I agree with what you posted here. I've been saying and posting the same at least the past 6 months, it's interesting actually cause I had the similar idea with adding a Klingon Sector Block, but below Omega Leonis and also one to the North-East of Omega Leonis like you suggested.
There are some good and interesting ideas right here, I hope a dev. stumbles upon this thread and gets some ideas.

I wanted to particulary point out this part here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by standupguy86 View Post
I know it hasnt been that long since the release of the Romulan Faction and everything that came with it. But I hope the Devs are seriously looking at going back and giving the Klingons some serious attention. Adding to the KDF cant hurt Cryptic or their bottomline...It can only help it and give STO and Cryptic a better image in the overall MMO Community.
You're spot on! If you don't mind, I'll use a part of this quote in my signature from now on. If you don't like that, tell me and I'll change it.

That said, first of all I like to point out that I'm really happy with what LoR brought to the Klingon faction. We finally feel like a proper faction, with full level and story progression. We received 2 new ships, albeit a low tier ones - still 2 ships in the C-Store in a looong time. And 2 consoles we can utilize on any ship to come with them. We got many more remastered and KDF tuned missions like the ones on Cardassian space.
The new story missions are purely epic! Kudos to Matt 'Positron' Miller and the whole team that worked with him on those. Some of the best missions I've ever played in STO, they are so well put together, feel very Klingon, with many hillarious moments and are great fun all together. Also, some of the old missions were remastered and are now way cooler and make much more sense, especially in the story progression.
And also worth noting, the KDF finally got off-duty option for clothes after many years. What I'm trying to say is that LoR was good for the KDF. I and many other players that play the faction acknowledge this work and appreciate it.

However, there's much more that can and needs to be done. We're not impatient or ungrateful, I don't want someone to get the wrong idea, but there's still much room for improvement. I would start with fixing some bugs that vastly influence the gameplay as pointed out in the 'Master list of KDF issues'. Some of them are not urgent, but some affect the game in a bad way, as for example not being able to join PvE and do Lore daily missions for chars under the lvl 21. Also, some more PvE could be added to refresh the selection on the red side, like for ex. a KDF version of Starbase 24. The KDF could use a couple of new ships, but they are less important than the actual content we need to use them in. There's where some of these ideas of yours come into play.
After all, as you said - Adding to the KDF cant hurt Cryptic or their bottomline...It can only help it and give STO and Cryptic a better image in the overall MMO Community.
Looking for a genuine Star Trek experience?
Join the Klingon Empire! It will be glorious!
Starfleet Veteran
# 3
07-13-2013, 06:50 PM
South would be the best direction for expansion, IMO. The Empire extends farther to the "east" in most maps, but south would take us to Gorn space. I think Orion was down there somewhere, too, but I'd have to look that up. And for the inevitable "What about us?" it would get close enough to squeeze in a Xindi sector.

As an added bonus, Gamma Orionis is down there near Gorn space, so one of the map's disjointed segments could be connected directly.

Last edited by hevach; 07-13-2013 at 06:53 PM.
Lt. Commander
# 4
07-13-2013, 06:55 PM
Go right on ahead and use it. I dont mind.
Survivor of Romulus
# 5
07-13-2013, 07:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hevach View Post
South would be the best direction for expansion, IMO. The Empire extends farther to the "east" in most maps, but south would take us to Gorn space. I think Orion was down there somewhere, too, but I'd have to look that up. And for the inevitable "What about us?" it would get close enough to squeeze in a Xindi sector.

As an added bonus, Gamma Orionis is down there near Gorn space, so one of the map's disjointed segments could be connected directly.
I'm pretty sure the original "Orion" was/still is in the Orion sector in Sirius. But, we don't know where Ter'jas Mor is, so that may find it's place down south.

As for the "What about us?" Cryptic has already stated thet they are planning a "Founders of the Federation" expansion that would add a sector block west/northwest of Sirius and have some important Federation planets like Tellar Prime, Betazed and Cait.
Looking for a genuine Star Trek experience?
Join the Klingon Empire! It will be glorious!
Starfleet Veteran
# 6
07-13-2013, 07:30 PM
I was referring to the new one. Ter'jas Mor is inside the Klingon Empire, and in a couple novels was a Klingon colony in the 24th Century.
Captain
# 7
07-13-2013, 07:45 PM
It would also be great if sector space and the galaxy were displayed as 3d space. That would let some of the systems be "close" to each other while still being somewhat disconnected
Captain
# 8
07-13-2013, 07:49 PM
You know it never occurred to me to look at leveling as a progression, looking at the plot it mskes sense that the war is red hot at first, then starts to cool off ss greater threat show up and the peace conference goes ahead. Thank for the new perpective.
Lt. Commander
# 9
07-13-2013, 07:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ursusmorologus View Post
It would also be great if sector space and the galaxy were displayed as 3d space. That would let some of the systems be "close" to each other while still being somewhat disconnected
I too would like to see this...Gamma Orionis and Deferi Space always confuses me a bit because of the flat 2D view of the Galaxy.
Republic Veteran
# 10
07-13-2013, 09:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ursusmorologus View Post
I support this fully.

I also support the introduction of Ter'jas Mor into the game.

Fvillhu s'Tal'Diann (Phi'Tlaru Rihan) Praetor of the Tal'Diann/Tal-Diann
Tal'Diann = KDF-allied Romulan Republic Fleet / Tal-Diann = Fed-allied Romulan Republic Fleet