Commander
# 31
07-14-2013, 07:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctcwolf View Post
A fed carrier...3 forward weapons...5 aft...dual hangers with defiant pets...best shield modifier...42kish hull...subsystem targeting oriented...maybe universal secondary shield console...shield similar to the scimitar dread
Interesting Idea....

I would want some kind of passive console that buffs turrets though. Something to make 8 turrets on par with 8 beams dmg wise.
__________________________________________________ __
Pay no attention to the dates and titles under my name at the left! I am a Career Officer, Lifetime Sub since launch, was in the Beta. Having problems with my forum account.
Captain
# 32
07-14-2013, 07:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by twoblindmonks View Post
The Jem dread would like a word.
I don't think lockbox ships are going to make your case for you.
Survivor of Romulus
# 33
07-14-2013, 07:56 PM
Quote:
On faction differentiation, I get where you are at, but I think they've pretty much destroyed 90% of that, so why not go the whole way and let me fly a Battlestar....
So you want to play Battlestar Galactica Online... well this makes a bit of sense now.

10 Turrets would use 80 weapons power. How much fire power do you think the bottom turrets would get? A successful Beam boat has a way to offset the power drain of it's beams and that's usually about 48.

Your insistence on Turrets would make sense if they designed ships with more than a couple of firing points, you want the ship to fire from multiple points, by this game engine's design your ships going to fire 30 little turret shots from one point every cycle. That's going to look ridiculous or do you want them to redo the entire game engine for your single ship?

Going by your original post I can see most players running 6 beams, 2 Torpedoes and the 2 turrets since you get a weapon choice up until 8. And your revision of a ship with 10 turrets, I doubt many people would buy a ship that can only use Turrets.

As for the numbers in this game, it's an unfortunate side effect of the way the game was made. If from day 1 there was Klingon content and they released ships in a 1:1 nature (Not a KDF & Fed version, but 1 Fed, 1 KDF ship) I think the numbers would be far closer to 50/50 than the near 80% fed split.

In all honesty the next Fed Carrier is most likely to be the Fleet Atrox, and I think the original Atrox needs Frigates (of Catian design). And both the Fleet Atrox and Kar'fi only grant access to the Frigates if you own the original. Same way the MVAE, HEC etc only give you the console with the original.
I was once DKnight1000, apparently I had taken my own name so now I'm DKnight0001.
If I ask you a question it is not an insult but a genuine attempt to understand why.
When I insult you I won't be discreet about it, I will be precise and to the point stupid.
Lt. Commander
# 34
07-14-2013, 08:05 PM
Quote:
Like are you just not paying attention? #1 and #2 go TOGETHER. They Synergize. As in, you get more weapon slots because you HAVE to use turrets. But that's fine because your ship as a turn rate of 3 anyway.

What is hard about this concept? It's not even a little bit OP.
No, you don't get it. It is unwise to say "you can only use turrets here" because you're forcing people to play a certain way and makes it less versatile. Besides, turrets have a poor dps-to-power drain ratio (about 20:1 compared with DBBs at 30:1) making it very unlikely that a ship with 8 turrets could keep up with even a kdf battlecruiser. The logic is flawed. turret boats are not DPS oriented thats just how it is. the more energy weapons you stack on, the less effective they become.

its not overpowered, its overkill, but it doesnt work. Its a lose-lose and I would never buy it.
Light Speed! - No, light speed is too slow. We need LUDICROUS SPEED!

Ajma420 - Lv 50 Tac - Pride of the Federation
Catherine The Great - Lv 50 Tac - Pride of the Empire
Vladimir - Lv 50 Tac - Pride of the Rihannsu Empire

Last edited by ajma420; 07-14-2013 at 08:14 PM.
Commander
# 35
07-14-2013, 08:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dknight0001 View Post
So you want to play Battlestar Galactica Online... well this makes a bit of sense now.

10 Turrets would use 80 weapons power. How much fire power do you think the bottom turrets would get? A successful Beam boat has a way to offset the power drain of it's beams and that's usually about 48.

Your insistence on Turrets would make sense if they designed ships with more than a couple of firing points, you want the ship to fire from multiple points, by this game engine's design your ships going to fire 30 little turret shots from one point every cycle. That's going to look ridiculous or do you want them to redo the entire game engine for your single ship?

Going by your original post I can see most players running 6 beams, 2 Torpedoes and the 2 turrets since you get a weapon choice up until 8. And your revision of a ship with 10 turrets, I doubt many people would buy a ship that can only use Turrets.

As for the numbers in this game, it's an unfortunate side effect of the way the game was made. If from day 1 there was Klingon content and they released ships in a 1:1 nature (Not a KDF & Fed version, but 1 Fed, 1 KDF ship) I think the numbers would be far closer to 50/50 than the near 80% fed split.

In all honesty the next Fed Carrier is most likely to be the Fleet Atrox, and I think the original Atrox needs Frigates (of Catian design). And both the Fleet Atrox and Kar'fi only grant access to the Frigates if you own the original. Same way the MVAE, HEC etc only give you the console with the original.
I didn't read past the first sentence, because it is wrong. Weapons power is a non issue. I also don't get it. Now you are arguing its UP? Weird.

Edit: Okay I did. The reason it's 80% fed has nothing to do with what you are saying. It's because the Federation is what Star Trek is ABOUT. The Klingons are a side show, at best. People hear about STO and are like: "Oh man! I want to fly <insert fav ship here>, for the most part, people don't really care about klingons. Particularly now that they can play Romulans!
Pay no attention to the dates and titles under my name at the left! I am a Career Officer, Lifetime Sub since launch, was in the Beta. Having problems with my forum account.

Last edited by twoblindmonks; 07-14-2013 at 08:13 PM.
Commander
# 36
07-14-2013, 08:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajma420 View Post
No, you don't get it. It is unwise to say "you can only use turrets here" because you're forcing people to play a certain way and makes it less versatile. Besides, turrets have a poor dps-to-power drain ratio making it very unlikely that a ship with 8 turrets could keep up with even a kdf battlecruiser. The logic is flawed.

its not overpowered, its overkill, but it doesnt work. Its a lose-lose and I would never buy it.

Again, you don't get it. You're like the nerd that tries to nitpick the crap out of something because you don't like it and never want to see it happen. The IDEA, the CONCEPT, the THEME is that of a slow moving and turning federation carrier that is tactically oriented. This would work well with a turret build concept. I tossed ideas out there for how that THEME or IDEA could be accomplished. All you seem to be able to do is repeat "10 weapon slots OP lulz" without any actual intelligence.

It CAN work. You just refuse to admit it. Go away please. You are not constructive in the least.

Last edited by twoblindmonks; 07-14-2013 at 08:15 PM.
Commander
# 37
07-14-2013, 08:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoggymack22 View Post
I don't think lockbox ships are going to make your case for you.
Well, there's the Scimitar, too. And all I want is a federation skin and an extra hangar. Take away the cloak, the crazy shielding powers, the superweapon, the 5 fore DHCs AND 3 aft weapons, it doesn't even have to have universal consoles because I never use the ship specific ones anyway.
Lt. Commander
# 38
07-14-2013, 08:18 PM
Quote:
What? Just....what? You have no idea at all how power drain can be mitigated, etc, etc. It CAN work. You just refuse to admit it. Go away please. You are not constructive in the least.
No it cant. the more energy weapons you stack on, the less effective they become. thats why 5 DHC kumaris don't work and thats why a 10 turret carrier won't work.

YOU WANT CONSTRUCTIVE? BUILD ME A 4/3 WEAPON TAC FED CARRIER THATS BASED OFF THE KAR'FI! THATS THE BEST YOU'RE GONNA GET. THIS IDEA IS COMPLETELY OUTLANDISH AND YOU WILL NEVER SEE IT IN GAME.

Lt. Commander
# 39
07-14-2013, 08:21 PM
Quote:
Edit: Okay I did. The reason it's 80% fed has nothing to do with what you are saying. It's because the Federation is what Star Trek is ABOUT. The Klingons are a side show, at best. People hear about STO and are like: "Oh man! I want to fly <insert fav ship here>, for the most part, people don't really care about klingons. Particularly now that they can play Romulans!
never mind, i give up, you are beyond reasoning with.

Commander
# 40
07-14-2013, 08:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajma420 View Post
5 DHC kumaris don't work a
Sorry....do you like....actually play this game?

5 DHC Kumari doesn't work, man that's a laugh. Now I know you're just a bitter Klink player trolling. Please get over it. Star Trek is about Starfleet, and the Federation, and that's how it's always going to be, and that's where the money is. I'll take my federation battle carrier in whatever form it comes in, and have fun with it.

What you need to do is not be so bitter and negative.

For the record? Running 5Dhcs, 1 turret, 1 KCB, on a kumari results in little to no actual weapons power loss if you build it correctly. HILARIOUS.