Commander
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 252
# 41
07-14-2013, 09:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajma420 View Post
never mind, i give up, you are beyond reasoning with.
ROFL, alright, man. See you. Can't say I'm sorry to see you stop trolling my thread.

(Btw, when someone proves you wrong or even just disagrees with you? It isn't because THEY are beyond reasoning with, it is because they out-reasoned YOU.)
__________________________________________________ __
Pay no attention to the dates and titles under my name at the left! I am a Career Officer, Lifetime Sub since launch, was in the Beta. Having problems with my forum account.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 102
# 42
07-14-2013, 09:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by twoblindmonks View Post
On faction differentiation, I get where you are at, but I think they've pretty much destroyed 90% of that, so why not go the whole way and let me fly a Battlestar.... :D
I guess the "why not" for me is because I like my KDF character-- like, a lot. I really want the KDF to get some fun toys and content from time to time, but the only way that that's going to happen is if people actually play KDF. But if the Federation can do everything better than the KDF, then why would anyone play them? (Okay, anyone except for Gorn fangirls, I guess.)
That's what's got me clinging to that last 10%.

And, wait, you want to fly a Battlestar? I gotta' tell ya'...
http://images2.fanpop.com/images/pho...-1600-1200.jpg
http://www.blogcdn.com/massively.joy...classat580.jpg
... you might be playing the wrong faction. :P

EDIT: Just read the posts that happened while I was image-searching. C'mon, everyone, lighten up a bit. Please? It kinda' drives me off when people start trading defensive barbs like this...
--- --- --- --- ---
I don't have numbers-- I have research, conjecture, and feedback.
Thank you for yours.
--- --- --- --- ---

Last edited by miri2; 07-14-2013 at 09:30 PM.
Commander
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 252
# 43
07-14-2013, 09:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by miri2 View Post
I guess the "why not" for me is because I like my KDF character-- like, a lot. I really want the KDF to get some fun toys and content from time to time, but the only way that that's going to happen is if people actually play KDF. But if the Federation can do everything better than the KDF, then why would anyone play them? (Okay, anyone except for Gorn fangirls, I guess.)
That's what's got me clinging to that last 10%.

And, wait, you want to fly a Battlestar? I gotta' tell ya'...
http://images2.fanpop.com/images/pho...-1600-1200.jpg
http://www.blogcdn.com/massively.joy...classat580.jpg
... you might be playing the wrong faction.

EDIT: Just read the posts that happened while I was image-searching. C'mon, everyone, lighten up a bit. Please? It kinda' drives me off when people start trading defensive barbs like this...
Hmmmmm..... *switches to KDF*
__________________________________________________ __
Pay no attention to the dates and titles under my name at the left! I am a Career Officer, Lifetime Sub since launch, was in the Beta. Having problems with my forum account.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 187
# 44
07-14-2013, 09:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by twoblindmonks View Post
ROFL, alright, man. See you. Can't say I'm sorry to see you stop trolling my thread.

(Btw, when someone proves you wrong or even just disagrees with you? It isn't because THEY are beyond reasoning with, it is because they out-reasoned YOU.)
you should learn to take your own advice. your posts have no reasoning. I say x you say nuh-uh. I have yet to see you disprove anything and i'm sorry i won't be around to see it if you ever do.
Light Speed! - No, light speed is too slow. We need LUDICROUS SPEED!

Ajma420 - Lv 50 Tac - Pride of the Federation
Catherine The Great - Lv 50 Tac - Pride of the Empire
Vladimir - Lv 50 Tac - Pride of the Rihannsu Empire
Captain
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 5,394
# 45
07-15-2013, 01:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by twoblindmonks View Post
Well, there's the Scimitar, too.
Scimitar has one hangar bay. Just like a Vesta or an Armitage.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,750
# 46
07-15-2013, 01:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by miri2 View Post
I like my KDF character-- like, a lot. I really want the KDF to get some fun toys and content from time to time, but the only way that that's going to happen is if people actually play KDF. But if the Federation can do everything better than the KDF, then why would anyone play them? (Okay, anyone except for Gorn fangirls, I guess.)
That's what's got me clinging to that last 10%.
Cryptic tried for years to get Feds to roll KDF alts, they gave the KDF better Dil generation, contraband coming out of their ears, and better toy consoles and all unique playstyles (KDF had gorn sci vessels years ago), and all that happened was that feds made KDF farmers.

The KDF players should play KDF because they want to, not because they were coerced into it. It hasn't worked and its not going to work in the future.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sorceror01 View Post
....you are a bad starship captain and you should feel bad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tachyonharmonic View Post
However, I think with regard to the Romulan Republic player characters/npcs, it all comes down to a finite point:

These are not the Romulans from the shows.
Captain
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 2,839
# 47
07-15-2013, 01:28 AM
I never got whats so great about playing a Carrier. I use the Vesta with one Character and the Dominion Escort Carrier with another, but i can't find anything special about having some tiny pets swarming around and shooting at your enemy. Which is actually the fun part, according to Cryptics devs/escort fanboys.
So it's almost like watching other people play the game. Maybe it's the same phenomena which makes all the "let's play .... " videos on youtube so successful, i don't know.

Other that that i find the very idea about Carrier ships in Trek pretty lame and completely out of place.

-> -> -> STO players unite and say NO to ARC <- <- <-
T6 Guardian Class design / A 25th century Ambassador refit
Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,465
# 48
07-15-2013, 01:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by yreodred View Post

Other that that i find the very idea about Carrier ships in Trek pretty lame and completely out of place.
This a thousand times But that ship has sailed, Cryptic decided that their STO universe has carriers and they are even considered the most advanced form of space warfare there is

I mean if you think about it, pretty much EVERY ship in Trek is a "carrier" as they carry 5-20 or more shuttlecraft. These shuttlecraft don't sound cool or military like starfighters do but are actually far more advanced than sub-warp "fighters" and could serve the roll of auxilliary craft well. I'd like to launch a runabout from my Galaxy or some "attack shuttles" from my Vor'Cha to distract/disable/board the enemy. But all those little starfighters never made much sense to me in a world where the starships are 360 degree shielded, armed with continously firing energy beams, tractor beams, distortion fields, warp drives etc. etc.
-> STO players unite and say NO to ARC <- -> Click if you prefer the old forum design! <-
-----------------------------------------------------------------
"No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
Captain
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 2,839
# 49
07-15-2013, 02:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by angrytarg View Post
This a thousand times But that ship has sailed, Cryptic decided that their STO universe has carriers and they are even considered the most advanced form of space warfare there is

I mean if you think about it, pretty much EVERY ship in Trek is a "carrier" as they carry 5-20 or more shuttlecraft. These shuttlecraft don't sound cool or military like starfighters do but are actually far more advanced than sub-warp "fighters" and could serve the roll of auxilliary craft well. I'd like to launch a runabout from my Galaxy or some "attack shuttles" from my Vor'Cha to distract/disable/board the enemy. But all those little starfighters never made much sense to me in a world where the starships are 360 degree shielded, armed with continously firing energy beams, tractor beams, distortion fields, warp drives etc. etc.
Let's not forget that targeting systems in Star Trek are much more accurate than lets say BSG or Star Wars for example. A fighter ship will be hit, no matter how good it's pilot is.
As you said Cryptic decided to ignore this.
So we have Escorts and Carrieres dominate the Star Trek universe, pretty bizarre in my eyes.

-> -> -> STO players unite and say NO to ARC <- <- <-
T6 Guardian Class design / A 25th century Ambassador refit
Survivor of Romulus
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 5,839
# 50
07-15-2013, 05:10 AM
First of all, sorry OP this might be slightly off topic but I just had to reply on these:

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyranger1414 View Post
Cryptic tried for years to get Feds to roll KDF alts, they gave the KDF better Dil generation, contraband coming out of their ears, and better toy consoles and all unique playstyles (KDF had gorn sci vessels years ago), and all that happened was that feds made KDF farmers.

The KDF players should play KDF because they want to, not because they were coerced into it. It hasn't worked and its not going to work in the future.
Cryptic tried to coerce people to play KDF, but went abut it the wrong way. If you shove dilithium crystals in people's faces, they'll get the mining gear and start dil.farming. Especially if you shove dilithium in people's faces while the faction is locked behind 25 levels of Fed. play, with only a handfull of unique missions and all the others being Fed. copy-paste content and one ship release in a year. Ofcourse they'd be farming. And c'mon man, Gorn science vessels, seriously? It's not like Starfleet didn't have science vessels before that.

I agree and actually the KDF players do play the KDF because they want to, but having some diversity between factions can't hurt and is actually a good thing. A part of playing a certain faction is having access to different toys and different playstyle than the other factions. What would be the point of rolling an alt in another faction if everyone's got exactly the same? It's not like people are anxious to do the rep. grind over and over again.

Now, with LoR we've seen some rays of golden sunlight falling on the KDF and was definitely a good move by Cryptic, but then being told to wait for season 10 for any more ships with the exception of 1 later this year is discouraging. Now, I personally don't mind that much cause I love my KDF ships and make them work, so I'm more interested in actual content to use those ships in, but is disheartening nevertheless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yreodred View Post
I never got whats so great about playing a Carrier. I use the Vesta with one Character and the Dominion Escort Carrier with another, but i can't find anything special about having some tiny pets swarming around and shooting at your enemy. Which is actually the fun part, according to Cryptics devs/escort fanboys.
So it's almost like watching other people play the game. Maybe it's the same phenomena which makes all the "let's play .... " videos on youtube so successful, i don't know.

Other that that i find the very idea about Carrier ships in Trek pretty lame and completely out of place.
Once again, yreodred nails it! My sentiments exactly!

Now, all of that said, back to the topic discussed here. Regardless of my feelings towards carriers in Star Trek in general, they are a part of STO and here to stay. It's a bit silly, because in Trek a fighter would become space dust in the first km after it launches, but it is what it is now.
When I said that there should be faction diversity earlier in this post, I didn't mean the carriers. They offer a very different playstyle from anything else in the game and there is obviously a vast interest in them amongst the playerbase, so they should be accessible.

Now, concretely on your idea OP: I do see what you're going after, but I think your assumption of it making money is wrong. By observing the STO's playerbase on the forums I came to the conclusion that something with turn rate so slow would be imidiately nicknamed a "planet" or a "blue whale", ridiculed and set on fire to burn. People won't buy it, at least not in the numbers that you expect for it to be profitable. Having all turret setup won't help either, cause STO players as of late are all about spike damage and "gimme 5 fore weanon slots.....no make it 6 Cryptic!" or "pew pew pwnz" and I seriously doubt that many of them would accept flying the slowest of slow ships with a lot of inertia limited to use of turrets. And half of those who do buy it, cause it looks big or powerfull (I'm imagining the Jupiter in my head now) will start howling a week later for "DHC that can be mounted broadside" or "beams with 360 degree firing arc" or how weak the ship is, etc.

In conclusion, I don't have anything against it, but I don't think it will sell. And since that (unfortuanately) seems to be the primary if not only strategy Cryptic applies in creating stuff for STO, I'm afraid we won't see it happen. I can see the niche type of play something like this could provide and a number of niche players like yourself I assume who'd have fun using something like this. My only issue with it is that Federation starships use beams and I'm really fed up with every ship having pew-pew cannons lately, I'd rather this having special 360 degree arc beams with lower damage output to match the turrets instead of actual turrets, so it would look more apropriate.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:42 AM.