Captain
# 21
07-15-2013, 09:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by doffingcomrade View Post
No, that is stupid. For instance, Carriers don't necessarily need any weapons, and in several missions it is actually correct behavior to not to fire any shots at all. You do not need to fire any shots at all in Blockade or Azure, and indeed, firing shots can make your job more difficult.
Even Carriers utilize some form of action. Sending commands to their pets, activating bridge officer skills, refreshing their defeated pets, and transporting crew on other ships and other such actions all can be recorded by some activity monitor. Basing activity on just one activity is meaningless. It is better to record multiple forms of activity. The minimum activity threshold should be adjusted for each queue. So someone protecting the gate in KSE should get the reward just because they are on an excellent team. Of course if a bunch of ships get through and they didn't even try to stop them should forfeit their reward.
Captain
# 22
07-15-2013, 10:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by starkaos View Post
Of course if a bunch of ships get through and they didn't even try to stop them should forfeit their reward.
That happens, its called "missing the optional".

Working as intended ... unless you want to punish players from disconnects, bad luck and even not being very good players or having a not full geared up ship with Elite Fleet Gear and STF sets.

I said this a few times and I will say it again, you dont want to deal with PUGs then dont PUG, I assume you have a Fleet so play in private queues since PUG is PUG and as much I rage at PUGs at times at least I know what was I getting into.
Former Star Trek Online Player
Survivor of Romulus
# 23
07-15-2013, 10:44 PM
I personally don't AFK, but I think everyone is completely missing the core of the issue. They problem isn't that players AFK, but the reason why they AFK.
The entirety of end game content in STO is based around a constant endless grind. You can max a new character from level 1-50 in a matter of 5 days or less, and once you do all you're faced with is the same grind based gameplay. Games like Freelancer knew that in order to keep players engaged and wanting to continue playing the game for long periods that the gameplay had to be much more dynamic.
Continuing using Freelancer as an example that game came out in 2003, and even a little of ten years later there are still players that play the game. Why are people still playing it all these years later? The simple answer is because one day you can be a trader, the next a pirate, an explorer, and the next day turn around and be a soldier fighting pirates and confiscating contraband. It's not designed solely around specific classes or professions and in combination with the dynamic gameplay that's why it has such lasting power.
If Cryptic truly wants to diminish or completely solve the AFK population, then the first step in that would be to really reconsider a lot of the fundamentals of the game that just simply don't work. When a game feels like a job more than entertainment people are going to come and go, find ways to put reward over play, and in the end when it doesn't change they will eventually leave. Right now Cryptic seems perfectly happy with players coming and going and eventually leaving for good, but eventually they're going to run out of new players.
The longer a player is with a game the more probability they will end up spending money on the game, and that amount to increase over time. But in order for that to happen you have to have content and dynamic gameplay for players to want to stay and enjoy.
Career Officer
# 24
07-15-2013, 11:22 PM
Well, something needs to be done - have just had to leave a Fleet Alert where three of the team deliberately bailed the moment the boss ship turned up. Idiots!

STAR TREK BATTLES - HIGH DPS PLAYERS NEED NOT APPY
Lt. Commander
# 25
07-17-2013, 04:10 PM
I have a plan for some of those 'afk'er' and posted a while back:
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...1&postcount=16

I'm with the Op! I mean - I've been around for a while (I played for longer than I've been a memeber of these forums), and it's only been recently that people experience these 'afkers.' I'm definitely not one of them but I do on occasion make a mistake as everyone does... So I just had a thought... "Maybe" I had a thought...

IF PlayerX interacts with NPCx, then PlayerXTotalNPCx = +1, else -1
IF PlayerX attacks NPCx, then PlayerXNPCx = +1, else -1
IF PlayerXTotalNPCx is less than Z then Loot1PlayerX = 0, Else Loot1PlayerX=1

Maybe, just maybe - when loot drops the rate for people whom do not do anything, not even fire their weapon - should be a 'factor' in if they get any loot at all <VBG>

IF PlayerXTotalNPC99 is less than X then FinalLoot = 0

Maybe... Just maybe, when the end reward comes along, if you've either just run around in circles, not firing your weapon 'you' shouldn't get much if any loot!!

Maybe... <VBEG>

Basically I'm saying that if a player doesn't interact at all with the system/mission - then they don't get any loot at all!!! Now I'm thinking that if this does get implemented - then maybe those whom do interact should have a bit higher scale of loot since they did it with less people.
Lt. Commander
# 26 Problem SOLVE-ed ;p
07-17-2013, 04:14 PM
================================================== ========
I have a plan for some of those 'afk'er' and posted a while back:
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...1&postcount=16

"I'm with the Op! I mean - I've been around for a while (I played for longer than I've been a memeber of these forums), and it's only been recently that people experience these 'afkers.' I'm definitely not one of them but I do on occasion make a mistake as everyone does... So I just had a thought... "Maybe" I had a thought...

IF PlayerX interacts with NPCx, then PlayerXTotalNPCx = +1, else -1
IF PlayerX attacks NPCx, then PlayerXNPCx = +1, else -1
IF PlayerXTotalNPCx is less than Z then Loot1PlayerX = 0, Else Loot1PlayerX=1

Maybe, just maybe - when loot drops the rate for people whom do not do anything, not even fire their weapon - should be a 'factor' in if they get any loot at all <VBG>

IF PlayerXTotalNPC99 is less than X then FinalLoot = 0

Maybe... Just maybe, when the end reward comes along, if you've either just run around in circles, not firing your weapon 'you' shouldn't get much if any loot!!

Maybe... <VBEG>"
================================================== ========

Basically I'm saying that if a player doesn't interact at all with the system/mission - then they don't get any loot at all!!! Now I'm thinking that if this does get implemented - then maybe those whom do interact should have a bit higher scale of loot since they did it with less people.
Captain
# 27
07-17-2013, 04:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpg1usa View Post
Go form a private team for your Nukara mission. It is inappropriate to complain about the public mission which is open to all people. There are tons of real life reasons why someone may appear AFK, including using the restroom or being told by mommy to take the garbage out NOW! The Nukara missions are difficult and many people give up quickly, rightly so. Go form a private mission and stop complaining about free stuff.
Yes, but those same one's being told by mommy to take out the trash NOW, won't be clicking "Need" on every loot roll.
And btw, ppl have a right to ***** about jackass afk'ers, leeching off the efforts of others. Let me guess, you're one of them and that's why you're defending this? "DOH!!!!"

butcher suspect, "What'd you hit me with?"
Temperance Brennan, "A building"
Survivor of Romulus
# 28
07-17-2013, 11:19 PM
I've seen AFKers who don't move, don't shoot and still roll NEED on everything.

Considering all you need to do is have a way that can endlessly macro <CTRL> & <Q> and you can suck up the loot without doing anything.

I like the idea of +1 for each action you perform. Attacking Enemies creates a +1 for each enemy you attack when they die. Talking to an NPC or interacting with an object.

Now you let the player know where they are. no reward, low reward, moderate reward & full reward.

For example in Mine Trap, you need to interact in section 1, section 2 & section 3 to get the full reward. So you can't AFK halfway through.

How about something simple. If you do nothing for 2 minutes (Not including those parts where your waiting on the countdown) you get kicked and locked out. If you press Auto-run 2 minutes later you will be kicked. Rolling on loot won't be counted.

I can not think of any situation in game where you do nothing for 2 minutes.
I was once DKnight1000, apparently I had taken my own name so now I'm DKnight0001.
If I ask you a question it is not an insult but a genuine attempt to understand why.
When I insult you I won't be discreet about it, I will be precise and to the point stupid.