Captain
# 2331
07-16-2013, 02:21 PM
Funny enough, before the omega torpedo (which evaporates its target) there was a tactic to weaken the generators and use the explosion of the cube.

Never as reliable as the 10% rule though.
Career Officer
# 2332
07-16-2013, 03:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chakitty;11s 420121
That reminds me of what happened a few days ago. I was on my Eng toon in her Vesta and was rocking out the DPS, used GW to hold the spheres on the left side while the others finished off the transformer. Headed right and got held up by the gate. Once I got to the other side, the cube was still intact and someone had already blown a generator and despite my best efforts, I wasn't able to stop a nanite sphere from getting to the transformer.
Yeah, since spheres gained the ability to use EPtE the old GW tactic isn't reliable, sadly.

STAR TREK BATTLES - HIGH DPS PLAYERS NEED NOT APPY
Commander
# 2333
07-16-2013, 04:00 PM
My worst STF experience is as follows:

I queued for Cure Elite. I was almost immediately dropped into a game. When I spawned, I found out I was dropped into a failed cure instance. I was still punished with the one hour cooldown on Cure.

I decided to go and queue for Vortex. I was, once again, dropped into a Vortex mission that was at 9/10, with the final probe on approach. Needless to say, we failed. I was then punished the the 60 minute cool down on Vortex.

At this point, I was pretty Peeved. I finally decided to queue for Khitomer. I was dropped into a bugged instance where the Tac Cube refused to spawn, and we could not beat the scenario. I was forced to back out, and suffer a quitting penalty.

Needless to say, I was done with STO for that day. I wanted nothing more of it for the day.
Captain
# 2334
07-16-2013, 04:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by reyan01 View Post
Yeah, since spheres gained the ability to use EPtE the old GW tactic isn't reliable, sadly.
It seems that nukara mines are the new gravity well. Only thing that works.
The old tractor mine doesn't slow them down.
Starfleet Veteran
# 2335
07-17-2013, 12:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by questerius View Post
I have noticed this myself.

The tricky thing is placing the mines in the path of the spheres, because otherwise they'll just run away from them indefinitely. Takes a bit of predicting their flight plan and maneuvering to intercept and time the mine triggering, but it does kill their momentum long enough to get some good damage off.

The Artist Formerly Known As Nikotaka ][ Join Date: Jan 2010
"Can anyone remember when we used to be explorers...?"
Lt. Commander
# 2336
07-17-2013, 01:59 AM
I use GW3 (spec-ed Graviton Gens at 170) plus Target Engine subsystem. If the damn thing is close enough and still kicks, I use TB2.
Career Officer
# 2337
07-17-2013, 02:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by questerius View Post
Yeah - just started the Nukara T4 grind, so shouldn't be too far off being able to obtain the nukara mines.

A pity though, because the problem extends beyond STF's. I am REALLY disheartened at how ineffective sci-generated crowd control abilities have become. My (primary) character is a sci, in a Vesta, using an overcharged warp core that allows me to ramp Aux up to 130.

Yet, despite running 130 Aux AND an Embassay MkXII Graviton generator console AND my character having full marks in the relevant skill, I can pop a GWIII off at spheres/whatever enemy spawns in Fleet Alert and watch as it, 9.5 times out of ten, does absolutely nothing thanks to the NPC's being able to use EPtE.

I guess this is a 'moan' for another thread really, but it really is a shame. As mentioned, I use a Vesta; this is partly because it's a great, and very versatile, ship in my opinion, and arguably the best Sci-ship in the game. But my primary ship USED to be my Fleet Rhode Island - my drop-dead favorite ship. Sadly, that little ship can't do the DPS that the Vesta can, it's crowd contol abilities are ineffective and healing is of limited used these days too. Though I do find that Yellowstone Runabouts help somewhat.

And therein lies part of the problem - my reason for sticking with the Vesta is DPS, and that's (obviously) not what sci is for.

As I said though, matters for another thread.

Last edited by reyan01; 07-17-2013 at 04:26 AM.
Captain
# 2338
07-17-2013, 08:02 AM
Lol it's hilarious when I think about how spheres are now so much more tankier (due to speed) than the regular cubes. It takes a lot longer now to clean out spheres than pretty much anything else.
Reality is WAR
KHG Klingon Honor Guard
Career Officer
# 2339
07-17-2013, 08:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by deokkent View Post
Lol it's hilarious when I think about how spheres are now so much more tankier (due to speed) than the regular cubes. It takes a lot longer now to clean out spheres than pretty much anything else.
Yep - in ISE's case, had played instances were the mission was completed with eight minutes left on the clock.

With the Steriod-Spheres new found hyperactivity, it's usually around four - five minutes left on the clock, simply because the team has to spend so much time chasing sphere's around (and crowd-control is ineffective).

Lieutenant
# 2340
07-17-2013, 10:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildchild8 View Post
lols i remember this one... was good fun! we had you hook line and sinker at the start though! (pretended we where all noobs... ) oh we did chuckle... but good sport and sure now you're in dps11k with us! whoop!

PESTF is watched by DPS5k and DPS11k, guys from these DPS channels regularly host games on PESTF and I myself actively recruit by running DPS test runs for DPS5k invites as of recent so its nice to know we have solid guys on PESTF and over time id like to be able to get more guys pumping out them big DPS numbers on channel.

Good story though!
Yea you had me good, I didn't even know where to go with the way ya'll were talking. Just took the center which probably improved my numbers a bit. Glad to be a member of the DPS- channels and avoiding all the complaints in this thread and setting new best personal times, etc.