Lt. Commander
# 71
06-24-2013, 11:03 AM
The Tholians are a challenging enemy in their own way...

But then again, isn't every enemy?

The Borg use overpowered weapons, shield neutralizers, and adapt to weapon types in ground combat.
Federation and Terran ships LOVE tractor beams and TBR, and their phasers occasionally shut down subsystems.
The Fel'khri have battle cloak and Tric torpedoes that knock you around like a pinball

The truth is that there are strengths and weaknesses for every enemy. If you want to keep your weapons online, use weapon batteries, and the tholian web nodes are weak enough that TBR, photonic shockwave, or a point defense system can easily decimate the orb weaver's web.

You still don't like the tholians? GET OVER IT!
Light Speed! - No, light speed is too slow. We need LUDICROUS SPEED!

Ajma420 - Lv 50 Tac - Pride of the Federation
Catherine The Great - Lv 50 Tac - Pride of the Empire
Vladimir - Lv 50 Tac - Pride of the Rihannsu Empire
Lt. Commander
# 72
06-24-2013, 02:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkratasco View Post
Good lord... if this is a problem than Cryptic should delete every enemy type in game. You know fighting works that way, I shoot you, you shoot me.
You shooting me is overpowered. NERF IT NAO
"But in-game I have another name. You must learn to know me by that name. This was the very reason you were brought into the forums, that by knowing me here for a little, you might know me better there."
Lt. Commander
# 73
06-24-2013, 02:22 PM
Tholians aren't a challenge unless you actually manage to get into the Tholian Red Alert, and even then only because you decided to or accidentally pull every single one of them on to yourself. Tholians I find are not hard, intimidating, or even a menacing threat. At best they are just a giant pest, with their weapon shutdowns and that web of theirs, which is about the only thing they got in their arsenal to even slow players down.

Save your FAWs, Tractor Repulsors, for webs and conserve [wcap]/wep batteries for shutdowns. Speaking of which, Red Matter Capacitor still doesn't work on bringing up wep systems anymore, and last I checked (could be just me not noticing) but it doesn't bring shields back up anymore either.
Career Officer
# 74
06-24-2013, 08:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by uss917019 View Post
OK guys the title of this is just an expression saying that the Tholians are the most annoying enemies look all they do is the same god damn thing again and again heres an example:

1st they shoot you
2nd they starting to remove your weapons
3rd depend on the level group is there they shoot there electrical charges and is so not effective against me but I think cryptic made does just to mess with your computer and mix you up so your screen gets full of electric for nothing
4rth now they start putting these caging spam

And they restart the same cycle over and over.

Now I am trying to target the little nodes on the side to get out but you know what I am clicking a lot and it does nothing on them, I look at my weapon power fully charged but still my weapons wont work this issue needs to be fixed.
so let me get this right ....if the game is a little harder and you cant pew pew through something it should be removed ?.......no..... you are dismissed
look for me in game as "Admiral Quinn" yeah that admiral quinn..and while your at it get off muh station!!!
Lt. Commander
# 75
07-18-2013, 08:52 AM
never really had an issue with Tholians, they just require a different strategy when dealing with them, you know what to expect when facing them, so deal with it. You expect Birds of Prey to cloak when they are getting beat on, right? its all part of that factions strategy. Now the Elachi...those are annoying...really avoid dealing with them as much as possible.
Commander
# 76
07-18-2013, 09:32 AM
First and foremost.

NO. No to any proposal to remove any content.

MikroSopht's 'Back Yard Tin-Can Shoot Simulator' might be a better option for those who aren't really interested in the NPC's actually putting up a fight. Personally, I want the PvE side of the game to involve more than just 'how quick can I kill these guys?'

Now...

"1st they shoot you"

Yes. For this reason we call them 'enemies' and is a common mechanic used in many games.

"2nd they starting to remove your weapons"

Yes. This is usually the result of one of two things: One is called 'Science', the other is a 'Special Weapon Bonus Effect'. None of the NPCs have posted on the forums yet about how our abilities and weapon procs affect them, but when that day comes, I fully expect you to be first in line to defend their position.

"3rd depend on the level group is there they shoot there electrical charges and is so not effective against me but I think cryptic made does just to mess with your computer and mix you up so your screen gets full of electric for nothing"

Yes. It needs buffing so that it can actually hurt you. So I guess I agree with you there.

"4rth now they start putting these caging spam"

Yes. This is very easy to nullify using a variety of means available to all captain types in all types of ship. It is also part of what differentiates them from other enemies you may encounter. Every race you encounter in the game has a different one. Borg have one. Klingons have one. Mirror Universe have one. Romulans Have one. Elachi have one. Gorn have one. Nausicaans have one. Breen have one. Hirogen have one. In fact, most Enemy NPCs in most games have one.

"And they restart the same cycle over and over."

Yes, yes they do. Just like you do too, when you kill things.

Wanted: 200,000 Dilithium Special Feature Projects for Romulan skinned Fleet Holdings.
Ensign
# 77
07-18-2013, 10:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by carasucia83 View Post
First and foremost.

NO. No to any proposal to remove any content.

MikroSopht's 'Back Yard Tin-Can Shoot Simulator' might be a better option for those who aren't really interested in the NPC's actually putting up a fight. Personally, I want the PvE side of the game to involve more than just 'how quick can I kill these guys?'

Now...

"1st they shoot you"

Yes. For this reason we call them 'enemies' and is a common mechanic used in many games.

"2nd they starting to remove your weapons"

Yes. This is usually the result of one of two things: One is called 'Science', the other is a 'Special Weapon Bonus Effect'. None of the NPCs have posted on the forums yet about how our abilities and weapon procs affect them, but when that day comes, I fully expect you to be first in line to defend their position.

"3rd depend on the level group is there they shoot there electrical charges and is so not effective against me but I think cryptic made does just to mess with your computer and mix you up so your screen gets full of electric for nothing"

Yes. It needs buffing so that it can actually hurt you. So I guess I agree with you there.

"4rth now they start putting these caging spam"

Yes. This is very easy to nullify using a variety of means available to all captain types in all types of ship. It is also part of what differentiates them from other enemies you may encounter. Every race you encounter in the game has a different one. Borg have one. Klingons have one. Mirror Universe have one. Romulans Have one. Elachi have one. Gorn have one. Nausicaans have one. Breen have one. Hirogen have one. In fact, most Enemy NPCs in most games have one.

"And they restart the same cycle over and over."

Yes, yes they do. Just like you do too, when you kill things.

this

10char
Captain
# 78
07-18-2013, 10:38 AM
Tholians shutting down weapons, problem easily solved, it's called emergency power to weapons

Delta Rising is da best expansion evar and da playerz love it
Lt. Commander
# 79
07-18-2013, 06:24 PM
I want to be a Tholian.

Yeah, really.

They got what i am lacking. Even with my science skills cranked up and a gazillion science consoles AND emergency power to aux AND that romulan reputation T5 skill my science powers are merely kids play compared to what they do.

they are the anti-science faction. While my tachyon beam is countered by some points in power insulators provided by the odd piece of gear that just happens to have it, cranking power insulators to the max won't save you from the tholians.

Its like npcs use a different set of science skills because someone in charge figured the other set, the one used by that odd class in blue, thats borked.
Captain
# 80
07-18-2013, 07:33 PM
Tholian proc is lol. Funny how our phaser proc doesn't even compare and they're supposed to do the same thing.