Captain
# 31
07-18-2013, 12:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by edalgo View Post
The Saber class basically replaced the Miranda class.
The Saber class didn't replace anything. It fulfills the exact same role as the Defiant (fast attack gunship). They're comparable in size, speed, crew complement and armament.

Just like the Defiant, it fills a role that up until that point Starfleet had decided didn't need to be filled.
Lt. Commander
# 32
07-18-2013, 04:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by displayname707 View Post
Defiant was designed to fight the borg threat... Iit has massive hull plating for fighting the borg. In Star Trek 8 you see it take massive damage from borg without blowing to pieces compared to the Miranda which got 1-2 shot by 1 jem dread ( And I think the borg cube hits way harder than a jem dread ). Miranda aint designed to fight the borg, hence its hull should not be even close to the defiant. Not even by a longshot.
So it's all about the outer 'ablative armor' plating is what your argument is? Yet I can quite easily, in game, put that same Ablative Armor on any other ship regardless of tier because oh, it's a console item.
Lt. Commander
# 33
07-18-2013, 04:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dknight0001 View Post
To touch on misterde3 said, how many 50 year old War planes are in the skies? How many 50 year old tanks are on the battlefield?

Even ships which are large and expensive to replace wouldn't be more than 20 years old, now I'm not denying a mothball fleet here. But at Tier 5 your a frickin Admiral your not going to be using the mothball fleet.
Back to back post again, sorry.

Perhaps, but at the same time I was always under the general impression that 'fleet ships' were not 'rebuilds' or 'gutting out and replacing components'. But rather a whole new vessel built to the design specs but including the latest and most advanced tech which either Starfleet/the KDF/Romulan Republic, has to offer.
Survivor of Romulus
# 34
07-18-2013, 10:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderhawk101 View Post
Back to back post again, sorry.

Perhaps, but at the same time I was always under the general impression that 'fleet ships' were not 'rebuilds' or 'gutting out and replacing components'. But rather a whole new vessel built to the design specs but including the latest and most advanced tech which either Starfleet/the KDF/Romulan Republic, has to offer.
An interesting concept but it doesn't make any sense, Starfleet unlike other star faring races build new ships that look different to old ships. So they wouldn't build a new ship for an outdated design.

When the new tech can't be put into the old hull, that hull is taken out of production.

A fleet ship is an older ship with retrofitted with better technology.
I was once DKnight1000, apparently I had taken my own name so now I'm DKnight0001.
If I ask you a question it is not an insult but a genuine attempt to understand why.
When I insult you I won't be discreet about it, I will be precise and to the point stupid.
Career Officer
# 35
07-18-2013, 10:26 PM
Quote:
To touch on misterde3 said, how many 50 year old War planes are in the skies? How many 50 year old tanks are on the battlefield?

Even ships which are large and expensive to replace wouldn't be more than 20 years old, now I'm not denying a mothball fleet here. But at Tier 5 your a frickin Admiral your not going to be using the mothball fleet.
The USA is still using military aircraft which where built more than 50 years ago.

You have also got to consider, design and materials, a stunt plane or single engine prop planes are basicly using the same 100 year old design just more refined, like the adaptation of the now military jets.

A fleet Miranda is a nice idea for a light maneuverable cruiser with a design similar to a nebula.
Captain
# 36
07-19-2013, 07:46 AM
Would'nt it be better to reclassify a miranda as a destroyer?

Sure, it's the redshirt of the fleet but, having a reinforced hull and dhcs would give it a fighting chance in battle. I love the miranda from Star Trek 2, and the fact they fought all the way up to and throughout the dominion war says a lot about the design, it can be improved, I'd call the Miranda the T-34 of star trek, a basic and simple design that is easy to mass produce.

Mirror NX, you know you want it
Career Officer
# 37
07-19-2013, 07:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stirling191 View Post
The Saber class didn't replace anything. It fulfills the exact same role as the Defiant (fast attack gunship). They're comparable in size, speed, crew complement and armament.

Just like the Defiant, it fills a role that up until that point Starfleet had decided didn't need to be filled.
Star trek canon the Saber replaced the aging Mirandas and the Nova replaced the aging oberths. Defiant was built as a warship with no previous starship class filling that role.

STO everything has been thrown out the airlock which is why we have such a terrible fleet galaxy. Everything is customizable. I know of no1 that flies a ship stock from the shipyard except for the lulz of it.
Survivor of Romulus
# 38
07-19-2013, 08:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chi1701d View Post
The USA is still using military aircraft which where built more than 50 years ago.

You have also got to consider, design and materials, a stunt plane or single engine prop planes are basicly using the same 100 year old design just more refined, like the adaptation of the now military jets.

A fleet Miranda is a nice idea for a light maneuverable cruiser with a design similar to a nebula.
The Airframe of a jet plane lasts 20 years. Australia have had to replace their technologically up to date F111 planes with temporary FA/18s waiting for the F35.

The Airframe of the plane was too stressed despite everything else on the plane being fine.

Please point me to a design that is 50 years old and isn't being phased out.

Let's also consider this is a Sci Fi game and the Miranda's are quite a bit older than 50 years in the games timeline.
I was once DKnight1000, apparently I had taken my own name so now I'm DKnight0001.
If I ask you a question it is not an insult but a genuine attempt to understand why.
When I insult you I won't be discreet about it, I will be precise and to the point stupid.
Career Officer
# 39
07-19-2013, 08:42 AM
Quote:
The Airframe of a jet plane lasts 20 years. Australia have had to replace their technologically up to date F111 planes with temporary FA/18s waiting for the F35.

The Airframe of the plane was too stressed despite everything else on the plane being fine.

Please point me to a design that is 50 years old and isn't being phased out.

Let's also consider this is a Sci Fi game and the Miranda's are quite a bit older than 50 years in the games timeline.
I agree with you here.

Someone might argue for the B-52 but the only ones still flying are the latest models that were built 20-30 years ago NOT the ones that were built 50 years ago.
Captain
# 40
07-19-2013, 08:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by edalgo View Post
Star trek canon the Saber replaced the aging Mirandas and the Nova replaced the aging oberths. Defiant was built as a warship with no previous starship class filling that role.
Just...no.

The Saber was developed as part of the same Anti-Borg task force that produced the Akira, Sovereign, Steamrunner, Defiant, Sovereign and Norway classes. She was made to do one thing: fight. Calling her the Defiant's younger sister is not an inaccurate title (can't say smaller since depending on your source the Saber is possibly larger than the Defiant, but that's a whole 'nother discussion).

By no stretch of the imagination was she designed as a modular scientific and exploration vessel. The closest thing to a replacement for the Miranda is in fact the Intrepid class.