Republic Veteran
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...1&postcount=72

IF Roddenberry were alive this would be a different story. But as is the way in all things, once the Originator is dead, the Successors gut the carcass for all it is worth. Perhaps the Re-Boot will spur a younger generation to reclaim Trek and make it Proud once again. But here and now, the carcass was sold to the highest bidder and this is the result, an Imperfect Trek. Honestly, I believe that complaints fall on deaf ears. The current owners have no interest other than money, and as long as it is good enough to earn money then that is all they will provide to us, the consumers. Yes, we consume what they provide, and when we no longer consume then they will sell the bones to the highest bidder.

The ONLY way you will get Trek to be the way YOU want it to be is to raise 10 Billion dollars and BUY the franchise yourself, and then deal with everybody who complains that YOU are NOT doing TREK the way THEY think YOU should.

I understand that Old Trek is DEAD. I am grateful for having ANY Trek at all. I reticently Bought a Life Time Subscription - knowing full well that this imperfect Trek will NEVER match up to Roddenberry's Vision. Yes, I am a Consumer of the New Trek, just like you.

Although I DO get such enjoyment reading the complaints to the BranBot - an unreal entity created for public relations. I am sure that a real person types the messages, but do not believe for a single second that it is the SAME person who always uses the persona to convey information to the user base.

Spoiled Children, you should be happy with what you get and stop demanding 'Perfection'. We are WAY past that now...
Empire Veteran
# 2
07-19-2013, 09:14 AM
old trek will never die as long as my tng and tos dvds work

LONG LIVE THE NEXT GENERATION!!!!!!!
Captain
# 3
07-19-2013, 09:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverashes1 View Post
old trek will never die as long as my tng and tos dvds work

LONG LIVE THE NEXT GENERATION!!!!!!!
Screw TOS, TNG is where it's at. For the Next Generation!

stardestroyer001, VA Explorers Fury | Retired STO Player
My Useful List of STO Forum Threads, Ship Builds & More! | My Forum Gripes
PvP: PvP Boot Camp, the best newbie oriented training initiative in STO!
Lieutenant
# 4
07-19-2013, 09:21 AM
All great works of art must go through transitions, especially if they remain relevant to future generations. For example, the movie adaptations of famous comic books must change to meet the challenges of the different medium of film even if that pisses off the canon-loving fans. Remakes of "classic" movies serve to refresh their place in our culture. As bad as some of them were, Star Wars I, II, and III brought that universe back into cultural prominence for a new generation. Roddenberry created the legacy, but to remain a vital and living part of culture Star Trek is going to change. To not change is to stagnate and become irrelevant.

My point is: Star Trek is changing and growing and we are part of it. I think that's awesome.

Disney, a monolithic media company, now owns Star Wars and will be making new creations with it. As STO players, I hope our decisions will have some influence on how Star Trek continues to develop in the future.

Last edited by pugdaddy; 07-19-2013 at 09:32 AM.
Captain
# 5
07-19-2013, 09:27 AM
The heat in the other thread got too much to handle OP ?
KBF Lord MalaK
Awoken Dead

You're gonna upgrade my Chel Grett for FREE but charge me $30 to upgrade my Kamarag ?
Captain
# 6
07-19-2013, 09:36 AM
Roddenberry whored ST as much or more as anybody else
Lt. Commander
# 7
07-19-2013, 09:38 AM
Your post seems a bit rambling so I doubt you're sincere...

However as a fan of Star Trek since before the first movie came out (do the math) I have enjoyed every bit of it including what has come after Roddenberry's passing.

The effort put into it is amazing and you would know that if you've read any books on the topic. Consider how some of the most popular TV shows are a few people wandering about in their living rooms. Such as I Love Lucy and Seinfeld. Contrast that with the effort needed to portray different planets? Kudo's to Star Trek creator's...all of them.

In regards to STO keep in mind a One or a Zero here or there can crash the whole thing out of literally billions of bits of data. I don't envy that job.

Regarding Branflakes as someone who as grouped with him in-game I'm pretty sure it's an actual single person. Hopefully it is several different people using the account because I wouldn't want to be that single person.
Captain
# 8
07-19-2013, 09:38 AM
Old Trek isn't "dead" ... It's just not in production anymore.

But I do love New Trek all the same. There's lots of potential for new stories and concepts in the Abramsverse, and I look forward to seeing what comes next.

And since everyone else is doing it...
LONG LIVE DS9 AND ENTERPRISE!!!
"It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid."
-- Q
Captain
# 9
07-19-2013, 09:39 AM
At what point does it become public domain?

Seriously, the public has invested as much in this intellectual property over the last 50 years as any individual or corporate entity.

At some point, the original copyrights have to expire.
Career Officer
# 10
07-19-2013, 09:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by revlot View Post
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...1&postcount=72

IF Roddenberry were alive this would be a different story. But as is the way in all things, once the Originator is dead, the Successors gut the carcass for all it is worth. Perhaps the Re-Boot will spur a younger generation to reclaim Trek and make it Proud once again. But here and now, the carcass was sold to the highest bidder and this is the result, an Imperfect Trek. Honestly, I believe that complaints fall on deaf ears. The current owners have no interest other than money, and as long as it is good enough to earn money then that is all they will provide to us, the consumers. Yes, we consume what they provide, and when we no longer consume then they will sell the bones to the highest bidder.

The ONLY way you will get Trek to be the way YOU want it to be is to raise 10 Billion dollars and BUY the franchise yourself, and then deal with everybody who complains that YOU are NOT doing TREK the way THEY think YOU should.

I understand that Old Trek is DEAD. I am grateful for having ANY Trek at all. I reticently Bought a Life Time Subscription - knowing full well that this imperfect Trek will NEVER match up to Roddenberry's Vision. Yes, I am a Consumer of the New Trek, just like you.

Although I DO get such enjoyment reading the complaints to the BranBot - an unreal entity created for public relations. I am sure that a real person types the messages, but do not believe for a single second that it is the SAME person who always uses the persona to convey information to the user base.

Spoiled Children, you should be happy with what you get and stop demanding 'Perfection'. We are WAY past that now...
Um, you need to READ more about the ACTUAL Gene Roddenberry - and not the fantasy version y9ou have in your mind because were GR still alive, the BIGGEST question on his lips regarding ANY Star Trek merchandise or licensing would be:

"What's my cut of the profits and where is my cut?!"
^^^
Need some proof? (link)

Excerpt from the Blog of the Director of the TOS Episode: "Is There In Truth No Beauty":

Quote:
Our first day of filming, Tuesday, July 16th, arrived and I faced a mutiny on the Enterprise that I had not faced before. Bill Shatner and Leonard Nimoy had very strong objections to a portion of the scene we were scheduled to do that day and were refusing to film. Since the objection was to dialogue involving a piece of jewelry that Gene Roddenberry had designed, he was summoned to the set. The morning was spent in a round table with the six characters involved in the scene plus Gene and me. But the battle was strictly between Bill and Leonard vs Gene. Bill and Leonard felt Gene was using the scene as a promotional commercial for a pin he had designed. Gene denied these accusations, but the boys were adamant in their refusal to be a part of something they considered so commercially oriented. The final result of the long morning?s combat was that Gene agreed to rewrite the scene. But that took it off the schedule for that first day?s filming. The balance of the day?s schedule was four short sequences in the Enterprise corridor that totaled a page and a half. I did not want my first day?s work to be limited to a page and a half, so I suggested we do a strong three page scene between Diana Muldaur and David Frankham. Which is what we did.
Also, Star Trek (in it's many incarnations has never been 'perfect'.
Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012 http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=91861979000&dateline=  1340755546
PWE Drone says, "Your STO community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."