Rihannsu
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 17
# 21
07-20-2013, 03:49 PM
My take: you play Romulan because you like to play as a Romulan.

I played STO for a month or two when it was released in the winter of 2010. Then I left. Main reason was that I could not play as a Romulan. You could design your own Romulan-esque character through the character creator, but there was no Romulan content per se, no ships, no missions, etc.

I recently returned specifically to play as a Romulan. It suits me. I never go to ESD other than for transwarps when I am heading over towards Beta Ursae for some dilithium mining or down to the STF areas. Otherwise I'm up in Romulan space grinding Romulan rep.

I can understand if someone has very invested Fed and KDF characters that they would not want to complete a Romulan character because there is duplication at the top end. It comes down to what faction/race you want to play. Yes, it's a skin, but to me I far more enjoy playing with the Romulan ships, the Romulan Boffs, and the Romulan attire for my character than I did playing a Fed in 2010. If most of that seems like fluff to a player, then, yes, they are likely not going to want to bother tweaking up a Romulan character if they already have Fed/KDF characters that are tricked out.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 989
# 22
07-20-2013, 05:04 PM
There is duplication at the top end for every faction. The don't see that stopping for the next game update nor for any faction they add in the future. And for the record I consider the Romulans a complete faction. They aren't however a third 'side' in a PvP context. Adding more then 2 sides can dilute player populations. The more sides there are the more thing the player will be spread amount the sides. I think Cryptic made the right decision to keep only two sides in the game.
Captain
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 4,676
# 23
07-20-2013, 05:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordfuzun View Post
There is duplication at the top end for every faction. The don't see that stopping for the next game update nor for any faction they add in the future. And for the record I consider the Romulans a complete faction. They aren't however a third 'side' in a PvP context. Adding more then 2 sides can dilute player populations. The more sides there are the more thing the player will be spread amount the sides. I think Cryptic made the right decision to keep only two sides in the game.
The natural conclusion to that argument is to merge all the queues and combine the fleets, ie make the end-game content even thinner than it already is. On the other hand, the game would be richer if there was 3-way PVP, romulan fleets, and so on.

And, you know, the limited number of people particpating in PVP isnt because there are two factions spreading them out.
Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,836
# 24
07-20-2013, 05:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flash525 View Post
The Romulan Command Centre works for levels #1 - #10, come level #11 (when you choose your ally) it practically becomes redundant.
I don't think you're quite tracking here. You can't get to the Command Center until after you've chosen your ally; before then, Mol'Rihan hasn't been colonized. Levels 5-10, you're working out of the Flotilla. And the Command Center on Mol'Rihan has everything ESD has, plus a bit (at least, I haven't found crafting facilities on ESD, whereas in the Republic Command Center, they're right behind the Tailor), without requiring you to jump from sector to sector to take care of business.

For that matter, if you haven't been using the Command Center, how did you get your warbirds as you advanced? I was rather under the impression that Mol'Rihan was the only place you could go to upgrade.

Be that as it may, even if you can get your ships at ESD, Mol'Rihan is no more made "redundant" by that than is DS9, or Starbase 39-Sierra. Sure, everything you can do at either of those, you can do at Earth - but by using the more local station, you don't have to transwarp halfway across the galaxy, then fly back the slow way.

Overall, your complaints simply aren't making sense to me. I've run toons in all three factions; I rather enjoy the Roms, especially since you get a pretty kickass bridge crew early on (the new Klingon experience gives you an okay crew, but they just don't seem as useful in their ship as a Rom crew is on a Warbird).
-------------------------------------------
I'm old enough not to care too much about what you think of me --
But I'm young enough to remember the future, the way things ought to be...

- Rush, "Cut To the Chase", Counterparts
Captain
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 4,676
# 25
07-20-2013, 06:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonsills View Post
And the Command Center on Mol'Rihan has everything ESD has, plus a bit
no security officers for DOFFing, you have to travel to an ally's starbase for that

and while it has crafting stuff it does not have an R&D station for actually creating anything (unless that was added very recently), which means you have to go to your ally's starbase for that too [btw, KDF has one in First City, they are the only one that does not require travel]

there was something else I cant remember right now
Captain
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 3,546
# 26
07-20-2013, 06:30 PM
Maybe you are missing the point, as in the Romulan's are not the once mighty race they used to be. With the loss of millions, their home worlds gone, no longer in control of the Tal Shiar [as if they ever were], and faced with a new alien threat on top of it all. What did you expect, they are in a disarray like the Cardasian's after losing so many in the war for the delta quadrant.
[Combat (Self)] Your Lunge deals 3252 (1916) Physical Damage(Critical) to Heavy Tactical Drone.
If you have come to the forums, to complain about the AFK penalty, than it is WAI.
MACO/OMEGA/KHG Accolade Bug Link
Praetor of The Romulan Tal Shiar fleet
Career Officer
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,313
# 27
07-23-2013, 03:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by assimilatedktar View Post
What restrictions are you talking about?
Unless I am mistaken, there is nowhere within the Flotila, nor the New Romulus Command Centre to turn in Contraband for Dilithium. In addition to that, FED & KDF players have three Doff assignments via three NPC's on their home soil. Romulan players don't have these on their home soil. Given the current setup, we should have options for a Reman, Suliban and (maybe) Yridian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by assimilatedktar View Post
Cardassians probably won't happen because they may get their own faction.
There is that, though that's got to be a couple of years away at best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordfuzun View Post
Adding more then 2 sides can dilute player populations.
I disagree. Sure, you will get some people (such as our friend brendan03us above) who play the game for one faction, and one faction only; just as you've got loyal Klingon players, and loyal Federation players. I bet though that a vast majority of people have a selection of toons, within the different factions, and they're making the best of all worlds. 3-way PvP should have been implemented with LoR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonsills View Post
I don't think you're quite tracking here. You can't get to the Command Center until after you've chosen your ally; before then, Mol'Rihan hasn't been colonized. Levels 5-10, you're working out of the Flotilla.
I got mixed up between the two; my bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonsills View Post
IAnd the Command Center on Mol'Rihan has everything ESD has, plus a bit (at least, I haven't found crafting facilities on ESD, whereas in the Republic Command Center, they're right behind the Tailor), without requiring you to jump from sector to sector to take care of business.
Check my first reply (this post) as to what (I believe) is lacking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowwraith77 View Post
Maybe you are missing the point, as in the Romulan's are not the once mighty race they used to be. With the loss of millions, their home worlds gone, no longer in control of the Tal Shiar [as if they ever were], and faced with a new alien threat on top of it all. What did you expect, they are in a disarray like the Cardasian's after losing so many in the war for the delta quadrant.
With respect, it's only like this because Cryptic chose to do it this way. They could have gone in another direction. They could have gave us the Tal Shiar Empire (under Sela) if they'd wanted too.

Even without that, there have to still be several billion Romulans still living who oppose Sela and would band together to make a new Empire/Republic.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 195
# 28
07-23-2013, 04:27 AM
im waiting for true free romulan and leveling my romulan. its very slow only doing first few mission and few doff assignemts.
Empire Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 959
# 29
07-23-2013, 05:11 AM
Only Romulans can fly warbirds. That is the point of the Romulan faction, if you get right down to it.

Romulans will never be an 'independent' faction, nor will any new faction. And no faction will ever be the 'bad' guys.
_________________________________________________
[Kluless][Kold][Steel Heels][Snagtooth]
[Louis Cipher][Outta Gum][Thysa Kymbo][Spanner][Frakk]
[D'Mented][D'Licious]
Joined October 2009. READ BEFORE POSTING
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:35 PM.