Career Officer
# 31
07-23-2013, 01:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonsills View Post
Personally, when I set out to attempt to insult someone else's intellect, I generally take care to spell my insults correctly.

The word you want is "dumb", spelled with a silent "b" at the end. "Dum" isn't even a word in English, although when you alter a bullet so as to cause the slug to expand drastically on hitting its target (often by carving an X into the nose of the slug), it's then called a "dumdum [or dum-dum] round".

I won't go into the whole emotional connection British subjects seem to feel to their royal family; my country worked hard to separate itself from the British Empire some 237 years ago, so the most I can work up is a mild interest in the firstborn of what appears to be a very nice couple.
This. I am an American, but my ancestors were British Colonists. If it wasn't for. a Hospital in London in WW2 saving my grandfather who had a chest full of shrapnel, I Wouldn't be here to type this.I have respect for the U.K.,so congradulations.
That redshirt, Totally got vaped!!!
Captain
# 32
07-23-2013, 01:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by topset View Post
I looked up the forecast in hope. Looks like it's going to be mostly in the Midlands. Pretty much no rain down in London
Yup, raining and some rumbles now here in Inbred Land, er, I mean, Norfolk (I'm from Sussex, moved up here when I met my wife ) Still crazy humid though
Captain
# 33
07-23-2013, 02:17 PM
British myself... I regard the monarchy as a more or less harmless historical anomaly, possibly even beneficial (the Queen has provided a certain amount of continuity, and some of our more aggressively egotistical politicians needed the reminder that they weren't Head of State and/or God's Anointed, once in a while).

I'd point out that it's a happy occasion for the family, and deserves not to be ****ed on for that reason alone.... I can understand a little irritation, I guess, particularly with the wall-to-wall media coverage of Not All That Much Happening. ("This is the BBC reporting from St Mary's Hospital, where nothing has happened yet. We now go over live to the Duchess of Cambridge's childhood home, where nothing is happening either." And all that sort of thing.)

Basically, I suppose I can't work myself up into a frenzy about it one way or the other. This being the case, I propose to wish the family well, in my own negligible way, and move on with my life.
Career Officer
# 34
07-23-2013, 02:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sander233 View Post
Every time you leave the ground in a helicopter you are in very real danger of very real (and messy) death.
...I am quite aware of what can happen, no need to remind me of that....I remember those times quite well.....
Sound of Interstellar Space

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
Captain
# 35
07-23-2013, 04:13 PM
Quote:
so the most I can work up is a mild interest in the firstborn of what appears to be a very nice couple.
I'm still in a bit of shock that I watched the live broadcast of this child's grandparents getting married. I can't be that old!

Quote:
my country worked hard to separate itself from the British Empire some 237 years ago,
Has it been that long? Man, how time flies! I have some vivid memories of the Bicentennial. Maybe I am that old!
Captain
# 36
07-23-2013, 04:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by reyan01 View Post
Well, I'm British too - but complete indifferent about the Royal baby.

It's like 'this baby is better than any other'. Okay.... he'll be King someday..... so what?

The worst thing though is the general attitude of the flag-waving sheep who spent hours watching a hospital door JUST IN CASE the second coming gets shown the world. Lame.
Basically this also to the OP, most members of the Royal family serve a real role in the military or do something else in service to the country unlike a lot of todays celebs that sit on their backsides and do f*** all all day long and get paid for it, the royal family do work when they aren't on camera and even then they are usually doing something work related and on a personal note, I see said family as better role models than any celeb out there today
Survivor of Romulus
# 37
07-23-2013, 04:36 PM
A head of state is a head of state. If this were the French president or the German Chancellor or the US president it'd be the same. Because these days our heads of state are celebrities. Even people with no connection to the state are discussing it. So the US media cover the wedding and baby, the French media loved (and continue to love) Princess Diana, and people who aren't French were interested in President Sarkozy's marriage to [I forgot her name].
You might as well tell people not to be interested in the Beckhams having a child.
Captain
# 38
07-23-2013, 06:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamkafei View Post
Basically this also to the OP, most members of the Royal family serve a real role in the military or do something else in service to the country unlike a lot of todays celebs that sit on their backsides and do f*** all all day long and get paid for it, the royal family do work when they aren't on camera and even then they are usually doing something work related and on a personal note, I see said family as better role models than any celeb out there today
Prince Harry is a disgrace to the uniform, and should be cashiered for Conduct Unbecoming an officer and a gentleman (he is neither) Given that he's only forth in line to the throne, he should be stripped of his titles like Fergie was, and then he could do whatever he wanted without his behaviour impacting on his family or career...
Commander
# 39
07-23-2013, 06:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by otisnoble View Post
You mean George Takai?
You know, it's pronounced "ta-kay."
Republic Veteran
# 40
07-23-2013, 06:22 PM
This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies . ~BranFlakes

EDIT: A friendly reminder that posting threads that are political in nature should be avoided on these forums. Thanks! -Brandon

The Following signature is not endorsed by the Dukat administration, and Down with Bajor Party

Last edited by pwebranflakes; 07-23-2013 at 06:51 PM.
Closed Thread