Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,307
# 21
07-24-2013, 03:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickngo View Post
Enrico Montoya, Saul Moskowitz, Drake Tran, and some of their friends from the Maquis days doing naughty, naughty things on behalf of the Federation during the Dominion war (late period). This was, ironically, a team that included one Starfleet 'plant' (Montoya) and one Starfleet Intelligence officer so green he'd never seen combat, much less the kind of nasty small-unit stuff that 'teams' (whether legally MACO, or "Contractors" from Section 31) were doing behind the scenes.
Supercool entry

Out of curiosity (no beef, just genuinely curious) how did you come up with the name Sovak? I only wonder as that was the name of the Vulcan Master that Marcus studied under as a boy, after his mother's death Of course, there's going to be more than one dude with the same name, it just made me chuckle Equally, I think he made the most logical decision to ensure a smooth resolution to the mission
Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,562
# 22
07-24-2013, 04:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusdkane View Post
Supercool entry

Out of curiosity (no beef, just genuinely curious) how did you come up with the name Sovak? I only wonder as that was the name of the Vulcan Master that Marcus studied under as a boy, after his mother's death Of course, there's going to be more than one dude with the same name, it just made me chuckle Equally, I think he made the most logical decision to ensure a smooth resolution to the mission

TBH I just needed "a vulcan sounding name". so I picked one out of the hat, but it would be HILARIOUS if they were the same vulcan, and I'll agree-it's the logical course of action, maybe not the most ETHICALLY SOUND course, or the most MORAL course, but definitely the most logical course from the options available at the time.

In a few weeks, after I've finished season 1 of "The Chase" I'll be working on a story that focuses on the Dominion War era/Maquis era called "Off the Books", wherein we'll meet everyone from Drake Tran's old Maquis cell, and the Starfleet Intelligence/Klingon Intelligence officers that used/supplied/manipulated/supported them.

With permission, of course, I hope to be able to hit on several other story-continuties' backgrounds (i.e. I'll be hitting up some of you fine LC authors for people to populate the critical supporting cast roles!)

Unlike "the Chase" which started with a rough background and is already growing past it, "Off the Books" has a known endpoint-the rescue of survivors from Tran's team when deep-penetration mission went bad near the close of the war (cutscenes shown in "The Road To Ruin" by Sander233.)
"when you're out of Birds of Prey, you're out of ships."

Last edited by patrickngo; 07-24-2013 at 04:53 PM.
Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,307
# 23
07-24-2013, 06:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickngo View Post
TBH I just needed "a vulcan sounding name". so I picked one out of the hat, but it would be HILARIOUS if they were the same vulcan, and I'll agree-it's the logical course of action, maybe not the most ETHICALLY SOUND course, or the most MORAL course, but definitely the most logical course from the options available at the time.
Sovak would have been pushing 200 when Marcus studied under him in the 2340s, I think it must just be the Vulcan equivalent of James, or some equally popular name


Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickngo View Post
In a few weeks, after I've finished season 1 of "The Chase" I'll be working on a story that focuses on the Dominion War era/Maquis era called "Off the Books", wherein we'll meet everyone from Drake Tran's old Maquis cell, and the Starfleet Intelligence/Klingon Intelligence officers that used/supplied/manipulated/supported them.

With permission, of course, I hope to be able to hit on several other story-continuties' backgrounds (i.e. I'll be hitting up some of you fine LC authors for people to populate the critical supporting cast roles!)

Unlike "the Chase" which started with a rough background and is already growing past it, "Off the Books" has a known endpoint-the rescue of survivors from Tran's team when deep-penetration mission went bad near the close of the war (cutscenes shown in "The Road To Ruin" by Sander233.)
I'll look forward to it, and you may like the entry I'm going to be posting in the next hour or so, as it's set in the same timeframe
Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,307
# 24
07-24-2013, 06:58 PM
Stepping up the pace with this entry...

For ease of reference/visualization, here're the actors I would cast if I was filming this tomorrow...

Marcus Kane - Matt Bomer
Paige - Olivia Thirlby
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 193
# 25
07-24-2013, 07:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickngo View Post
TBH I just needed "a vulcan sounding name". so I picked one out of the hat, but it would be HILARIOUS if they were the same vulcan, and I'll agree-it's the logical course of action, maybe not the most ETHICALLY SOUND course, or the most MORAL course, but definitely the most logical course from the options available at the time.

In a few weeks, after I've finished season 1 of "The Chase" I'll be working on a story that focuses on the Dominion War era/Maquis era called "Off the Books", wherein we'll meet everyone from Drake Tran's old Maquis cell, and the Starfleet Intelligence/Klingon Intelligence officers that used/supplied/manipulated/supported them.

With permission, of course, I hope to be able to hit on several other story-continuties' backgrounds (i.e. I'll be hitting up some of you fine LC authors for people to populate the critical supporting cast roles!)

Unlike "the Chase" which started with a rough background and is already growing past it, "Off the Books" has a known endpoint-the rescue of survivors from Tran's team when deep-penetration mission went bad near the close of the war (cutscenes shown in "The Road To Ruin" by Sander233.)
it seems like a lot of vulcan names are similar, but it is the most logical action. The needs of the many outweighed the needs of the few, or the one. Especially when the one is a traitor.

If you want to use anyone I've got for supporting cast feel free.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 147
# 26 Thanks for the compliments!
07-24-2013, 07:24 PM
Hey all...

Thanks for the kind words!

I figured that I'd use my first foray with #45, Freestyle, to set up the turning point for the Captain...that Q semi-induced fracturing of the mirror universe and alternate realities...the time where trauma is so much that coping mechanisms that got him though past events are no longer adequate. #46, which was late...sorry...was an intro to the cranky CMO of the Bonaventure, a la Bones, who touches on the after effects of #45.

I'll use whatever future challenges come up as a set up for either flashbacks or moving on to where things try to get back to a "new normal" for our crew.

Quick "Coles Notes" backstory & characters:

--Captain of the Bonaventure, haven't decided yet which toon to name him after! (Trying to use 'traditional' ranks...Admirals don't sit in the center seat...) Our protagonist. Stereotypical hard charger through the Academy, hot shot with something to prove. Invented the 'OG', Omicron Group, as a super-elite...in his mind...subset of Red Squad. Lost the Yorktown under mysterious circumstances...was initially blamed for it, had to fight to prove his innocence.

--Captain Sotek, CO of the Honolulu. Member of the OG, closest friend to the protagonist. Was XO of the Yorktown when it was lost.

--Commander L'naa, XO of the Bonaventure. Member of the OG. One third of a love triangle between our protagonist and another member of the OG while at the Academy. Vulcan with some very strong telepathic & empathic abilities.

--Ensign R'nee, deceased. Member of the OG, the last third of the Academy love triangle. Vulcan in the most brutal, cut to the chase, zero emotion way possible. Died in the STO universe when some accident occurred shortly after graduation. Reappeared alive in the Q/Mirror/Alternate universe incident (#45) which is the breaking point for our Captain and his XO.

--Sara & Arky. Last members of the OG. Married on the day of that accident that claimed R'nee. Fate to be disclosed in some future challenge...

--CMO of the Bonaventure. Commander in Starfleet Reserve, brought back after retirement due to the Klingon war, very much against his will. Always running a scheme, has a love/hate relationship with the crew...but feels like each of them are his grandchildren. Except, for some reason, the Andorians...

--Bonaventure, a Sci-Oddy, and her Aquarius, the Rouge Valley. The ship is always a member of the story!
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 146
# 27
07-24-2013, 07:47 PM
I wrote my story today and will edit it later. I am glad that no one has thought of my use of 47 yet. For now, here are some comments.

@ sharpie65 - can you flesh this out some more?

@ grylak - yeah, I can see how humans would discard reason and have tribble pets.

@ masopw - I thought that was interesting. I need to go back and read your other posts. Feel free to bend the LC prompt a little too if you'd like...I do that fairly often and no one has kicked me out yet.
Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,562
# 28
07-24-2013, 08:56 PM
@marcusdkane: Oh, I DO like this one!
"when you're out of Birds of Prey, you're out of ships."
Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,562
# 29
07-24-2013, 09:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by knightraider6 View Post
it seems like a lot of vulcan names are similar, but it is the most logical action. The needs of the many outweighed the needs of the few, or the one. Especially when the one is a traitor.

If you want to use anyone I've got for supporting cast feel free.
I'll be taking you up on that fair soon, I'm in the middle of Episode 6 of a 13 episode first season of "The Chase", so expect "Off the books" to start in late august/early september. I'm planning it to run for 12 episodes upwards of 1000 words per scene, filled with backstabbing, cloak-and-dagger, snake-eating, deniable and discommendable actions, nasty people, competent bad guys and bureaucratic bumblers, along with one or two folks that might actually be honestly nice and decent people trapped in the whirlwind of history-the pawns, for the most part...
"when you're out of Birds of Prey, you're out of ships."
Career Officer
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 3,219
# 30
07-25-2013, 01:48 AM
Part VIII of The Road is now up.

I wound having to split chapters again so there will be a Part IX, hopefully sooner rather than later.


Now to take a breather and catch up on some reading...


"Freedom is just a pretty idea unless it's backed by Force."

The Masterverse Timeline / Ten Forward Fanfics
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:37 PM.