Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Federation Shipyards
Login

Republic Veteran
# 11
07-25-2013, 03:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rck01 View Post
So, does that count as a vote in favor of the [E->A] modifier for a2b configurations?

RCK
Depends on what your power settings are. Most people put max into weapons and an A2B should be able to maintain 125 at all times. So they would want W->A.
# 12
07-25-2013, 07:05 AM
Meh, I wanted to get a high Aux power for my latest build, checked out Fleet Warp Cores, said no thanks and bought a blue Overcharged with W->A. Problem solved for tiny amount of EC.
Career Officer
# 13
07-25-2013, 09:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by reginamala78 View Post
Why bother boosting your auxiliary if the first thing you're gonna do is kill that aux?
That's an extremely silly thing to say, as the very 'core' (pun intended) of an aux2bat build is your start-off aux levels. For a reasonably functional A2B build, IMHO, aux should be at least around 50 to make it really kick in.

Keep in mind that X->Y warp cores give their extra bonus percentage based on the power *setting* of X (and not on their current, actual level, dipped or boosted). So, my A2B Fleet Ecelsior runs with weps at 125, and a Fleet W->A warp core.

N.B. Yes, Fleet Advanced Warp Cores are a bit crappy. Essentially [SSS] and such is a total waste. Doesn't change the principles of warp cores, though; and they all *do* give an initial extra 7.5% in 2 systems to begin with, instead of 1. So, still worth it.
Captain
# 14
07-25-2013, 09:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by meimeitoo View Post
Keep in mind that X->Y warp cores give their extra bonus percentage based on the power *setting* of X (and not on their current, actual level, dipped or boosted). So, my A2B Fleet Ecelsior runs with weps at 125, and a Fleet W->A warp core.
This is not true at all. I have tested this quite extensively. Using an S->W core, for instance, if I sit there at 50/all, I will receive a small bonus to W as a result of having 50S. But the moment I hit EPTS, boosting my S level, my W level will also increase. This would not happen if it was as you said.
Career Officer
# 15
07-25-2013, 09:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by doffingcomrade View Post
This is not true at all. I have tested this quite extensively. Using an S->W core, for instance, if I sit there at 50/all, I will receive a small bonus to W as a result of having 50S. But the moment I hit EPTS, boosting my S level, my W level will also increase. This would not happen if it was as you said.
No, it really works the way I say.

What you're witnessing, though, is likely the effect of the EPS Manifold Efficiency trait, boosting +10 on all your other system upon EPtX.
Career Officer
# 16
07-25-2013, 10:03 AM
I would think overcapping weapon power would make the most sense to squeeze out more dps. Then maybe a W->A mod so you keep something in Aux in order to have no down time in using Aux based abilities. Sometimes you can run dry on Aux power and when you do you have to wait til power returns before activating ur abilities.
Captain
# 17
07-25-2013, 10:05 AM
Well, in the end I decided to forgo the expensive Fleet core and simply invest in a nice Mark 11 Rare [Eff] [A->W] [Trans] core on the Exchange for 500K EC. I get a passive boost to my Aux and this seems to help me avoid "flat lining" the tank during combat.

FWIW, I used the savings to grab another Mark X Fleet Neutronium with the [HP] mod to go along with my identical console with the [HullRep] mod.

I also picked-up an Embassy Mark 11 Flow Cap console with the hull repair characteristics - I've it slotted alongside my Leech console (used to be 2x Mark 12 VR Flow Caps), so now I have the 2x Neutronium from above, the Borg Console, the Zero Point Console, the Leech and Embassy Flow Cap consoles, and 4x Mark 12 Rare Phase Mods for the Polaron beams.

Very happy with the build so far - much more durable in combat, though I miss the ridiculous energy levels that the 2x VR FC consoles + Leech used to deliver. However, even if I can't punch quite as hard, I can take a hit much better than before.

There's nothing like tanking a gate at point blank range.

RCK
Career Officer
# 18
07-25-2013, 10:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rck01 View Post
Well, in the end I decided to forgo the expensive Fleet core and simply invest in a nice Mark 11 Rare [Eff] [A->W] [Trans] core on the Exchange for 500K EC. I get a passive boost to my Aux and this seems to help me avoid "flat lining" the tank during combat.
Then I'm sorry to say, you got the wrong core. A->W isn't doing much useful for an A2B build (unless your aux was at 100 or higher to begin with). You're far better off with an W->A core, and weps power at max. Sci ships, otoh, like the Vesta, with extreme high aux levels right off the bat, would benefit from A->W cores, for example.

Also, you're *always* going to flatline aux upon aux2bat: that's the nature of the ability. Getting max Warp Core Efficieny skills, and good 'Efficient' boffs will help, but there will always be a moment that you're entirely without aux.
Captain
# 19
07-25-2013, 12:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by meimeitoo View Post
Then I'm sorry to say, you got the wrong core. A->W isn't doing much useful for an A2B build (unless your aux was at 100 or higher to begin with). You're far better off with an W->A core, and weps power at max. Sci ships, otoh, like the Vesta, with extreme high aux levels right off the bat, would benefit from A->W cores, for example.

Also, you're *always* going to flatline aux upon aux2bat: that's the nature of the ability. Getting max Warp Core Efficieny skills, and good 'Efficient' boffs will help, but there will always be a moment that you're entirely without aux.
No prob. I'll just buy another one - EC is easy to mine in this game. I bought the core this afternoon and replaced the cost with loot drop sales on Exchange in under two hours.

The good news: I can now test both combinations to see which delivers the better results for my configuration (though after reviewing the Warp Core wiki entries, I'm thinking you may be right about my original choice).

Damn this game is complicated!

RCK
Career Officer
# 20
07-25-2013, 03:57 PM
Assuming cruiser build, +5 all power, running efficient stats boosts low power levels, so run full weapon power, elite overcharged core with double aux stats, W>A transfer, EptA...all ways to stack up aux power