Ensign
# 1 Omega Rep Space Sets?
07-28-2013, 06:06 PM
I'm looking to go after my first space set in the Omega rep now that I've maxed it out. I would like some recommendations on what to choose Omega? Assimilated? Honor Guard? Adapted Honor Guard?

If it helps I'm a tactical captain flying a fleet tor'khat.
Captain
# 2
07-28-2013, 07:05 PM
Bookmark this and go through the sets http://sto.gamepedia.com/Sets

There are four different sets in the Omega rep: Assimilated Borg, Omega, KHG, and MACO. The KHG and MACO sets are availble to both factions under different names--KHG is available to Feds as Adapted MACO, and MACO is available to KDF as Adapted KHG.

The pieces dont have to be used in the set. Some of the pieces are quite poor, some of them are very good. You can mix pieces from the sets and get cumulative effects that are better than some sets, but if you want a specific set bonus then obviously you need to use the required number of pieces from that set which typically results in getting at least one piece of crap gear.

I ran the Assimilated Borg set on my Kamarag Rertrofit battlecruiser, which is very similar to your Tor'Kaht. The 3-piece set gives an emergency shield heal that goes well with the 2-pc emergency hull heal, and also provides the borg tractor beam that is essentially an additionally weapon. It worked well on that ship in STFs, but I dont use the set much anywhere else.

I personally like the KHG shield the most, because it will automatically placate the guy shooting you and lower his accuracy too. So he has to find you again and then he's missing his shots. Plus its a huge shield, and he has to shoot all the way through it to get to the hull. You dont need much else after all that. The rest of the set is heavily oriented towards offensive sci, although the 2-piece is good for torpedo damage, and the 3-piece bonus gives the ability to psuedo-cloak on-demand (it even keeps your shields up) and lasts long enough for evasive manuevers to get you out of range so you can enable your real cloak.

The MACO (Adapted KHG) deflector has the most tanky attributes for hull and shield boosts, and as stated a lot of people think the shield is the best. So thats a very good start to a 2-piece set for a tanky defensive posture. Battlecruisers benefit from that since they dont have the ability to run-away as easily as the lighter classes. The 3-piece bonus is very situational, not worth building for unless you plan to fight sci ships frequently.

Omega set has some interesting properties but it depends heavily on science skills for the 2-piece shield-draining bonus (you must have your own points in flow caps), and the 3-piece bonus is basically for alpha-striking with torpedo. Kind of a specialty set. The deflector is the most well-rounded of all, and has a good mix of strength and defensive and offensive sc (but no flow caps). The shield gives a nice mobility boost under fire, but I would rather have the KHG shield TBH. The engine is crap.

Many many people will tell you to take the MACO shield and combine it with the Assimilated (Borg) engine and deflector, because it is a very good shield on its own, and you get the 2-pc Borg set bonus for hull regens.

For my next cruiser I will probably use the Omega deflector with KHG shield and engine, or use the 3-pc KHG set for the ability to fake battlecloak
Captain
# 3
07-28-2013, 07:38 PM
Omega deflector+engine gives you the Tetryon Glider, which is helpful at shield-eating, and then lets you pack a serious shield (Omega shield is only okay, not really worth the price). The advantage to doing it that way is then you can use the Mk11 on those two pieces where the difference is so small as to be irrelevant (2 points to a skill is nothing, a fraction of a percent) for half the cost. Then you can a solid shield at Mk12 for maximum capacity.

The Adapted KHG shield is damage-reduction-to-everything and gives you a small energy boost (though it conflicts with Plasmonic Leech if you're using it), and is Resilient so reduces hull damage. The standard KHG shield doesn't regen as fast and is resistant to plasma energy weapons only, but has a much higher capacity and the sensor-jamming ability. Both are excellent shields. There is are also the Elite Fleet Adaptive shields if you have access, but they're even more expensive, and personally I try to avoid going Fleet unless absolutely necessary.
Career Officer
# 4
08-01-2013, 04:31 PM
Adapted KHG Engines, KHG Shields and a Positron Deflector Array that gives me + 35 on my shields, works well on all my KDF ships but dont think that you will be able to pick up a decent P D Array in the exchange now, i was luck getting that one........
Captain
# 5
08-01-2013, 11:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahzadjinsai View Post
I'm looking to go after my first space set in the Omega rep now that I've maxed it out. I would like some recommendations on what to choose Omega? Assimilated? Honor Guard? Adapted Honor Guard?

If it helps I'm a tactical captain flying a fleet tor'khat.
Um...what do you fly? what you fly (and what kind of missions you like to play) has a lot of bearing on your choices-esp. if you're keen to go with a full 3P set.

The Omega, for instance, gives you a couple of nice abilities if you fly raptors or BoPs, but it's actually a stronger performer on Battlecruisers like the Vor'cha or Tor'Kaht.

The KHG's 3p ability works well with carriers and cruisers, and other ships that have turn rate deficiencies and horrendous accelleration/deceleration handicaps.

I don't know what the MACO/Adapted does for you, as I pretty much got my sets before S7 and the rep system.

Assimilated works really well, though, for BoPs and other low-hull/low-shield ships that rely on speed and turn rate as standard, rather than in boosts, and the tractor helps in Decloak-Alpha strikes.

Others have different views, but those are mine based on older sets I've had for quite a while.
"when you're out of Birds of Prey, you're out of ships."
Lieutenant
Just achieved Tier 5 Omega and now am wondering which set will benefit me the most being an Engineering officer. I've been told Omega is the way to go but am looking for other opinons. Currently I am flying both a Mirror Assault Cruiser and a Mirror Heavy Cruiser. Any feedback is gratefully appreciated
Captain
# 7
03-22-2014, 03:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesbryce View Post
Just achieved Tier 5 Omega and now am wondering which set will benefit me the most being an Engineering officer. I've been told Omega is the way to go but am looking for other opinons. Currently I am flying both a Mirror Assault Cruiser and a Mirror Heavy Cruiser. Any feedback is gratefully appreciated
This is Klingon gameplay, not Federation gameplay.
Join Star Trek Battles, to make your daily grind FUN!
Eating Bacon and playing KDF since September 2012! Proud supporter of the Breen Confederacy!
Owner of the ImperialChatTeam, a channel for KDF!
NO TO MANDATORY ARC!
Survivor of Romulus
# 8
03-22-2014, 04:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesbryce View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaster29 View Post
This is Klingon gameplay, not Federation gameplay.
No need to be snappish, we can remain civil. The same principles apply. Two part borg, with the MACO shield will do very nicely. You get the borg heal proc plus the robustness of the MACO shield.

Formerly known as Echo@Rivyn13
Member since early 2011
Member of Lag Industries ~ http://lagfleet.enjin.com/
Commander
# 9
03-23-2014, 10:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by oracion666 View Post
No need to be snappish, we can remain civil. The same principles apply. Two part borg, with the MACO shield will do very nicely. You get the borg heal proc plus the robustness of the MACO shield.
Conflict makes us strong, strength makes us Klingon.
Captain
# 10
03-23-2014, 01:52 PM
KHG 3 piece set has been a godsend for my BOPs, esp. for my frail B'Rel Retrofit. Always love the Tactical Readiness buff, and the science heavy build makes good use of the set as well as extra aux power. PVE or PVP. The KHG 3 piece bonus and shield has saved my ship alot of times, because it's built not to stay in a dogfight, so staying power is quite poor. The shield is decent enough to take a heavy shot, the shield proc helps defense and in losing the attacker, and with some speed, the MEF ability hides me if my Enhanced Battle Cloak isn't ready.

Omega Set is interesting. More accuracy, a bit of sci, and a heavy debuff before shooting torps. Another beauty of the set is that if you run EPTE / high ENG power, the Hyper-Impulse Engines will really send zip you along to run someone down or get out of dodge. The set isn't for everyone and only suits particular styles and is not something for generic all around use like regular Borg Set.