Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Reputation System
Login

Lieutenant
Why are the personal rep projects capped at 20 hours? Why can't the timer be adjusted & adjust the requirements needed for the extended time?

Some of us work & can't log on every day to refresh projects so it's making the rep grind even more tedious!!

Sort it out please.

K, thanks.
__________________________________________________ ___

Beta player - forum knows jack as to when I started

Career Officer
# 2
08-08-2013, 07:22 AM
Uhm actually no, that's a bad idea. It's bad enough we have to wait 20 hours but to wait longer per project means waiting longer to get the better gear.

They are working on the gateway system for STO which means you can login from any browser and refresh these things without having the game installed on said computer.

They have even talked about implementing a mobile app for gateway.
I would like for the devs to open a poll/feedback thread on what exactly the players would like to see in the near future for the game.
Captain
# 3
08-08-2013, 08:04 AM
While your idea would be nice for the playerbase, I doubt cryptic is going to change it. It's a a simple mechanic to force or rather lure people into logging in on a daily basis.

Quote:
Uhm actually no, that's a bad idea.
Why would it be a bad idea from a players perspective? If you want to keep it the way it is, just set the slider to 20 hours, while people who'd like longer projects could just set it to 40, 50 or 60.... How would it negatively effect you if other people had the choice to run 40-hour projects, while you could still run your 20-hour ones?
Career Officer
# 4
08-08-2013, 08:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by the1tigglet View Post
Uhm actually no, that's a bad idea. It's bad enough we have to wait 20 hours but to wait longer per project means waiting longer to get the better gear.
Wat.

How would it be a bad idea to give the player (at least something of) a choice of duration of a rep project? It's a good idea, and gives each player the ability to slot a rep project of a length that's suitable and convenient for them, that fits their real life commitments.

If I'm grinding out some rep and I know I'm going to be away for, say, a week without access to the game, I would like to be able to slot a week-long project, with appropriately raised marks and consumables requirements (and payout), rather than just a 20 hour one and waste those 6 days, which then means I have to wait 6 days longer to get to top tier.

Away for x amount of time? Slot a project of x length. No time wasted, nice and efficient.

The length of the projects makes no difference, it's the efficiency of when you slot them, which is where projects of different lengths would be very useful.
----
Commander
# 5
08-08-2013, 08:34 AM
Here's a thought:

Adjustable duration.

Allow players to set the duration of a project themselves, and adjust the rewards and requirements accordingly. 20h Project gives 100% rewards (as it is today), while adjusting it to 40h, gives you 200% rewards (the same as completing 2 x 20h projects), while you could also adjust it to 10h for 50% rewards (half of current).

Why would this not be possible? How could it be exploited, if the rewards and requirements are reduced at the same time as the project duration?
Lieutenant
# 6
08-08-2013, 08:38 AM
the adjustable timer is what I meant - was in a bit of a rush when typing it out so my bad on that one for not being clearer.

Glad to see others actually understand what I mean though

Beta player - forum knows jack as to when I started

Career Officer
# 7 Adjustable cooldown
08-08-2013, 09:59 AM
I like the idea - coding may prove to be difficult, if the current is hard coded.

I think there would need to be a cap though, max of 5 days duration (or some other number, but not too high) of course the cap would have to be no longer than that one project giving one tier upgrade. Think about it - I'll open a project at T1 and extend the project as long as it would take to get to T5 - therefore only costing my T1 prices... yeah not going to happen - for many, very good, reasons.

However, capping the max duration time to whatever the needed XP to the next tier wouldn't be too bad of an idea....
Captain
# 8
08-08-2013, 10:18 AM
Bad idea means you could in theory just slot in one project and complete it all in a few clicks
. . . . . . . . Insert witty content. . . . . .
Commander
# 9
08-08-2013, 12:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by franc275 View Post
I'll open a project at T1 and extend the project as long as it would take to get to T5 - therefore only costing my T1 prices... yeah not going to happen - for many, very good, reasons.
I did say in my previous reply, that the cost of the project, as well as the rewards would scale based on the time spent. That's how things work when it comes to missions, Duty Officer assignments, and virtually every other instance, in this and most other games.

So you can slot up projects that run for 15 minute each, but they'll only reward you based on a 15 minute duration (not rewards based on a 20 hour duration). Likewise, if you want to slot a project to run for 10 days (240 hours, rather than 12 x 20 hours), the cost of slotting it would be equal to the same amount we have now.

The proposed idea would not make things cheaper or more expensive in any way. All it would do, is make it easier for people who don't have the time to meticulously log in every 20 hours just to slot up a project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jam3s1701 View Post
Bad idea means you could in theory just slot in one project and complete it all in a few clicks
Less clicks, is a good thing. Again, the cost would not be reduced. The duration would not be reduced. It would still take just as long to complete projects. The difference is, people can choose how long they would want to wait before slotting a new project. Most people work for a living, and as such are gone from the computer most of the weekdays (monday through friday). Gaming is thus usually limited to saturday-sunday. Wouldn't it be great if these players could slot a project on monday morning (before headed off to work), and complete it on saturday morning? 5 times the cost, 5 times the duration. 4 times less logging in, reslotting project.

Last edited by druhin; 08-08-2013 at 12:05 PM.
Captain
# 10
08-08-2013, 12:16 PM
You best not be dragging out those Rep projects unless you're also improving the rewards.