Career Officer
# 511
08-08-2013, 04:29 PM
Those things had minimal impact on our ability to play STO.

So we had to change our forum username?
Irrevalent.

F2Players? More players=good.

But Arc is not even remotely on the level of those changes.
This is a major change that does not offer Cryptic players any benefit whatsoever.

I had a little look at PWE's game profile integration feature a long time back, before Arc was even concieved of.
It has lots of options for publicly sharing info about stuff you did in every game except Star Trek Online and Champions Online.

Now tell me, why should I care about sharing info about games I don't play or characters that I will not create?

And that's the impression I'm getting about PWE here, they claim integration, but really, Cryptic is still completely seperate from PWE.

We will always be second best to PWE and they won't really care what we say, since we aren't playing the games they want us to.

That is the sole reason PWE acquired Cryptic, to try and increase their playerbase (and profit margin) in their other games.

I'm assuming that didn't work, so they said, okay, let's find a way to make them notice our other games and Arc was created.

By the way, NCSoft tried a similar thing on a smaller scale with Tabula Rasa and all it achieved was to lose a significant portion of their North American and European playerbase.

There's a lesson to be learned there, don't push the wrong game at a target demographic who has no interest in it whatsoever.

If we were interested in their games, we wouldn't need Arc to get us to play them.
Commander
# 512
08-08-2013, 05:25 PM
Why does everyone try to make a cheap Steam Knockoff?
Origin... UPlay... That Thing SINS used/is using... now this... why? I don't need any of those, especially when they are not working properly...
Selor Andaram Ephelion Kiith
Career Officer
# 513
08-08-2013, 05:59 PM
Any chance that once this becomes mandatory, somebody will figure out how to disable it and spread the cheers?
...... DaveyNY ...STO Forum Member since February - 2009
..............Star Trek Fan since Thursday Sept. 8th, 1966
There are No Longer any STO Veterans... We're Just People who have Played the Game for the last 4 years.
I Really Do Miss the little TOP Button at the bottom of the threads.
Captain
# 514
08-08-2013, 07:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveyny View Post
Any chance that once this becomes mandatory, somebody will figure out how to disable it and spread the cheers?
I'm just hoping that since it didn't really add any particularly useful features, they don't start disabling existing ones in order to make it look better... I uninstalled it after trying it out for a month or so, and am just fine with the decision. That, and Arc accesses web-based content without any guarantee that Arc itself is free of bugs, viruses, and so on... which seems like a bad plan.
Ensign
# 515 ARC thumbs down
08-09-2013, 08:54 AM
After spending several hundred dollars in game. I too will walk away from must/bloatware advertising loaders. I opt out. Fix the bugs in the game. Don't add something that will not improve my gaming experience. I can't believe you said this. Do you guys really want to alienate this many paying customers?

"Ro"
Rihannsu
# 516
08-09-2013, 09:31 AM
Yep well just no am not running STO with that needless software running in the background no thanks .

If they acknowledged their player base it would mean they have to listen to us and actually take our opinions into consideration, however apparently forcing people to have a pointless piece of software is far more important perhaps they are getting paid a kings ransom for it so that could be why they don't care.

They just might regret it if the masses protest by refusing to use their game until they remove it?
Lt. Commander
# 517
08-09-2013, 09:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by breadandcircuses View Post
I'm just hoping that since it didn't really add any particularly useful features, they don't start disabling existing ones in order to make it look better... I uninstalled it after trying it out for a month or so, and am just fine with the decision. That, and Arc accesses web-based content without any guarantee that Arc itself is free of bugs, viruses, and so on... which seems like a bad plan.
No worries, you can still launch the game directly without using the ARC. Lucky, coz that thing is more not working, jamming, crashing, then it should be. The only beef at the moment I have with this ARC is that it still downloading an old installer which needs the giant patch to download of 11 Gig. Geezes, even in these times, Cryptic fails to manage to provide us an unpatched installer after each Season expansion. Sad, really sad.
Ensign
# 518
08-09-2013, 10:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimipaige View Post
Do you guys really want to alienate this many paying customers?
They're operating under the assumption that nobody will ragequit the game over this.

They're already very aware that people don't want this, and they already know people will hate it when it is made mandatory... but they are assuming that you'll still play STO, even though you hate ARC.

Personally, I don't think the assumption is correct. I have a suspicion that ARC will be the straw that broke the camel's back for a lot of people who absolutely do not appreciate being forced to install a 10gig piece of bloatware garbage.
Career Officer
# 519
08-09-2013, 10:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zecozoxx1 View Post
Personally, I don't think the assumption is correct. I have a suspicion that ARC will be the straw that broke the camel's back for a lot of people who absolutely do not appreciate being forced to install a 10gig piece of bloatware garbage.
This is exactly right. Remember, under an F2P model - 90% of us don't pay a dime or spend very little actual/real cash in game. 10% or so SPEND A LOT and pretty much fund both future game development and make profit for PWE/Cryptic.

I'm certain PWE/Cryptic is banking on the fact that the majority of this 10% (yes, they may still actually loose a few) will put with accept ARC - and if it cause a larger portion of the 90%n to move on; no big deal in the end to the bottom line - and hell, they can even not worry about having to expand the server farm/pay for more rack space/bandwidth, etc.

Any comment by PWEBranflakes of "PWE/Cryptic cares about everyone that plays STO..." is just the usual PR/lip service he's paid to say as CM. In the end they only really care about the 10% (and that's understandable really as any business exists to make money first and foremost - and that doesn't make them 'evil' - just your average big business capitalist ).

Thus, as long as their market research (and they are doing market research as STO (and CO and NW) are not the first MMOs brought under a unified client like ARC); shows they'll still retain the majority of the 10% who really pay to play STO -- they'll roll out 'ARC', as mandatory (with PWEBranflakes, Trailturtle and the NW Community managers all towing the company line, and singing it's praises, and downplaying its faults/bugs/major negative effects as you try to actually play STO/CO/NW with this bloatware running in the background); and not really care if they loose the 90% not spending much (or any) real cash on Cryptic/PWE games.

welcome to one of the downsides to the F2P model.

(As an aside, it's why Cryptic/PWE now spends money to send the Dev team to large Star Trek conventions - because the game is F2P and client is free to download - they realize that the majority of fans who attend are so into Star trek, they have a greater chance to become a 10% 'whale' (aka big in game money spender) on STO. if the game was still subscription based, they wouldn't bother - because while they would still get some of those same Star Trek fans; they wouldn't get enough to justify the loss in time or expense in hotels, etc. The old 'barrier to entry' of a $20 - $40 box plus a $15 a month sub, is enough to turn a lot of even hard core fans away. With F2P - they draw people in to try the game, (hey, I've nothing to loose and it could be fun), and find (if the starting stuff is top notch) that they then 'hook' them, and these folks start spending before they realize it.)
Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012 http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=91861979000&dateline=  1340755546
PWE Drone says, "Your STO community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
Career Officer
# 520
08-09-2013, 12:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zecozoxx1 View Post
Zactly! As I'm fond of saying: "Remember Jita IV!" (anyone who's anybody in the gaming world will know what that means). CCP also thought they could screw with people endlessly -- you know how well that ended for them.

Apart from the question of whether people will rage-quit or not (or simply quit as a 'conscientious objector'), the main question simply remains: Why!? Why would you *want* to alienate your customers?! Just because some greedy Ferengi on the top floor are jealous of STEAM and want to launch their own (crappy) platform? We don't need it, we don't want it.
Closed Thread