Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > The Academy
Login

Closed Thread

Ensign
# 11
08-09-2013, 05:18 PM
what actually is arc?

I have never seen it when playing, would it be due to me downloading the game back in closed beta?

I had downloaded the game through the massive installer way back when.
Captain
# 12
08-09-2013, 05:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by snopel View Post
what actually is arc?

I have never seen it when playing, would it be due to me downloading the game back in closed beta?

I had downloaded the game through the massive installer way back when.
Arc is like Steam, but only for Perfect World products.
Ensign
# 13
08-09-2013, 05:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandoknight89 View Post
Arc is like Steam, but only for Perfect World products.
odd, seems slightly pointless due to their lack of games, at least with steam they have a very large store of games.

Now that I think of it, it's not worse then EA's origin... I curse the day I bought battlefield 3 and had the use "origin" to download updates =(
Survivor of Romulus
# 14
08-11-2013, 05:19 PM
Regardless of what the title of your thread states, you will never be rid of PWE.
=\/= ================================ =\/=
Centurion maximus92
12th Legion, Romulan Republic
12th Fleet

=\/= ================================ =\/=
Ensign
# 15
08-31-2013, 09:40 AM
I did a clean wipe of windows 8 just to "freshen up" the system and was greeted with the joy of Arc being rammed down my throat.

Has anyone simply tried install Arc, Installing STO, uninstalling Arc and then going into the STO folder inside program files and making a shortcut for the desktop?

Seems to be working for me atm. Patching now.

If there ever comes a time where I cannot play STO without ARC, i'll move over to Steam.

Long story short, I'm not installing a bunch of gaming browsers from all kinds of different companies on my system just to play 1 game. The end.
Captain
# 16
08-31-2013, 10:10 AM
I knew it wasn't going to be long before this "optional" tool was going to be rammed down everyone's throats. Fortunately I have the latest build of the game installer before Arc came on the scene and keep a big zip file of my current install.
I don't need some tool running on my computer, ripping off my bandwidth torrenting games I don't play and the minute that I can't run the game without running Arc will be the end of my STO gaming.
If something is not broken, don't fix it, if it is broken, don't leave it.
Oh Hell NO to ARC........One Ring to Rule Them all........
Starfleet Veteran
# 17
08-31-2013, 12:17 PM
I recently got a new computer, and i installed STO and nothing about arc came up for me. Searching arc comes up empty too.

So that's one way around i suppose
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"We won't go back, you don't know what its like in our Universe, the original timeline had gone, JJ Abrahms is everywhere"
Quote:
Originally Posted by rylanadionysis View Post
just shut up
Survivor of Romulus
# 18
08-31-2013, 12:59 PM
Guys, it's easy to get around arc. Look at the usual free software download sites and look for STO there... Most of the time these files are 1 or 2 yrs old.

After you started it, it'll patch itself but without arc.
^^ I am Stoutes, and I approve of my message ^^
Captain
# 19
08-31-2013, 01:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shockwave85 View Post
Interesting. I have a retail install disc, could I grab the contents of that disc as a "Full install"? Then of course update the install data as you suggested and stash it somewhere. Just having an up to date STO installer would be a big time saver if I need to rebuild the PC or set up another machine.
My brother is here visiting and wanted to install STO on his laptop so we could do a couple of missions in co-op mode but he was having some kind of problems with ARC installer. We installed the game with collectors edition DVD then copied my Live folder over to his installation, worked right away no problems, and he is using the old launcher.
Commander
# 20
08-31-2013, 10:40 PM
What exactly is this Arc? As far as I know I don't have it, I just click my blue Star Trek Online icon, input password and click engage. There's no mention of Arc anywhere.
Closed Thread