Captain
# 41
08-08-2013, 10:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adverbero View Post
also a question to Authors, would you be tempted to Use the polar opposite group? The Kirk Cabal? perhaps a mission with both locking horns, with you in the middle unsuspecting and unaware of the true battle
I'm thinking of using them in my mission, though (ironically enough) the player won't know they were involved until the mission is over.
Say NO to mandatory Arc!
Commander
# 42
08-08-2013, 10:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adverbero View Post
In one such way i plan to make them more of a sleeper cell style, i don;t give them a secret HQ, or some special ship, they are seemingly normal officers on seemingly normal ships, also i plan to make a distinction between Agent and Handler, since what most people call agents are actually handlers who manipulate their assets
I did find it odd in DS9 that Bashir and O'Brien were on the right track by probing Sloane's mind. If they were that secret, they would no doubt have a cell structure like most terrorist organisations whereby one cell would not know the names of people in the other cells, and there are only small links in the chain to pass orders and information around. But one person knowing all the secrets? In all of the Federation's history, none of their agents have been captured and tortured for information? Everyone breaks eventually, you'd never give anyone that much information. For me, flaws like that in S31 not only made them repungnant in morals but also incompetent.
Rihannsu
# 43
08-08-2013, 10:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by isthisscience View Post
I did find it odd in DS9 that Bashir and O'Brien were on the right track by probing Sloane's mind. If they were that secret, they would no doubt have a cell structure like most terrorist organisations whereby one cell would not know the names of people in the other cells, and there are only small links in the chain to pass orders and information around. But one person knowing all the secrets? In all of the Federation's history, none of their agents have been captured and tortured for information? Everyone breaks eventually, you'd never give anyone that much information. For me, flaws like that in S31 not only made them repungnant in morals but also incompetent.
Well, fictional superspies usually are incompetent by real-world definitions....

Just watch the Bond movies....
HAIL HYDRA!
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Show Archon and Borticus how much you would like to see new Doff races!
Commander
# 44
08-08-2013, 10:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by markhawkman View Post
Well, fictional superspies usually are incompetent by real-world definitions....

Yes, Bond is more special forces than spy. He keeps his cover for all of 5 seconds and all the intel he has ever gathered could probably only fill one sheet if paper. He is an expert only in getting people killed and giving them STDs.

But, in a vague attempt to return to topic, Bond villains can be a more mixed bag. While their plans may be over complicated and they gloat about them - I find them, oddly, more believable. I get their motivations and the flaws with those motivations. If I spent ages working on a brilliant plan to do one of their big deeds, I'd probably be dying to gloat about it to Bond before I kill him in an intricate way - and I am an amature after all. But Bond is a professional and ought to be a bit better at his job. I've never really got his motivations.
Captain
# 45
08-09-2013, 06:04 AM
Quote:
yeah , it is odd to have some kind of kingpin in an organisation like that, have you ever heard of Amalgam? another fictional secret agency, they are much more realistic in structure ( My opinion of course) than S31

And yes they do seem rather incompetent, an agency hidden for centuries is uncovered by a doctor and an engineer working alone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by markhawkman View Post

Lol so very true

During this Foundry Bonus Weekend, don't just choose the shortest missions, choose to play the best missions. Have more fun, get more marks!

List of great missions: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...d.php?t=286621
Captain
# 46
08-09-2013, 09:57 AM
Tracking back to the original post, I think its hard to create fear in the foundry

Thinking of some of the best fear moments in games i come to the conclusion that most of the places i found scary had an erie silence and emptiness to them

But due to the ammount of effort it can take to populate an area in the foundry most places are empty and we can't create the lighting ourselves

During this Foundry Bonus Weekend, don't just choose the shortest missions, choose to play the best missions. Have more fun, get more marks!

Survivor of Romulus
# 47
08-09-2013, 10:13 AM
There's definitely some tools we'd need in order to do some horror-style stuff: Control of lighting and control of sound. The sound part may be coming but as I understand it, it isn't quite there yet.

What comes to my mind is the scene from the original Unreal. Here's what I remember, it may or may not be entire accurate. You crash land on a planet. There are structures, indicating habitation, but there's no one around. No humans, no aliens, nothing. It's eerie. You venture into one of the structures, but you still encounter nothing but dead bodies and a few vicious animals.

Then you go down a corridor lit by emergency lights. You hit the button to summon an elevator. One by one the lights in the corridor start winking out from far down the hall toward you. It goes pitch black and silent. Then flashing red lights come on and a giant green alien with blades on its hands roars and jumps out at you!

It's all about timing, lighting and sound.
Join the Foundry Roundtable live Wednesdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable

Rihannsu
# 48
08-09-2013, 05:25 PM
Quote:
Yes, Bond is more special forces than spy. He keeps his cover for all of 5 seconds and all the intel he has ever gathered could probably only fill one sheet if paper. He is an expert only in getting people killed and giving them STDs.

But, in a vague attempt to return to topic, Bond villains can be a more mixed bag. While their plans may be over complicated and they gloat about them - I find them, oddly, more believable. I get their motivations and the flaws with those motivations. If I spent ages working on a brilliant plan to do one of their big deeds, I'd probably be dying to gloat about it to Bond before I kill him in an intricate way - and I am an amature after all. But Bond is a professional and ought to be a bit better at his job. I've never really got his motivations.
I was thinking of the minions of the enemies. Bond himself seems to me to be more of a counterspy than a spy. He sometimes does both but he's usually sent out to find actual spies, and a lot of the time it's boringly easy for him, and on multiple occasions he's managed to flip enemy agents to his side..... even JAWS!!!!
HAIL HYDRA!
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Show Archon and Borticus how much you would like to see new Doff races!