Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Reputation System
Login

Captain
# 11
08-08-2013, 05:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by des101 View Post
Why are the personal rep projects capped at 20 hours? Why can't the timer be adjusted & adjust the requirements needed for the extended time?
When the reputation system was first introduced, the long cool-down timers caused everyone to rage. As a result of the long waiting periods, Cryptic rightfully reduced the timers from two days to one day. People were walking away from the game.

Second, once a reputation system project is completed, the system does not suddenly erase your progress. Regardless about when you sign on, the reputation project you set into motion will be completed. You will never-ever lose your progress, nor will the reputation system suddenly shutdown.

Cryptic should reduce the cool-down timers, for the twenty hour waiting period is too long. I have halted my alt's progress at T3, for I got tired of grinding and waiting.

Last edited by linyive; 08-08-2013 at 05:47 PM.
Survivor of Romulus
# 12
08-10-2013, 06:06 AM
I just don't understand how someone can look at the reputation system currently in place and think 'You know what this needs? For the project timer to be longer.'

If one could adjust the timer, it would only serve to adjust it to become shorter. If I had the power of Q I would make every timer in the game last 20 seconds.
Captain
# 13
08-10-2013, 11:18 AM
I think it's more that people find having to repeatedly reslot and refill projects over and over again to be tedious and annoying. Would it not be better to have a single jumbo project for the entire tier that takes as many days to run as the current series of chopped-up projects for the equivalent XP?
Captain
# 14
08-10-2013, 03:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stofsk View Post
I just don't understand how someone can look at the reputation system currently in place and think 'You know what this needs? For the project timer to be longer.'

If one could adjust the timer, it would only serve to adjust it to become shorter. If I had the power of Q I would make every timer in the game last 20 seconds.
What is so difficult to understand?

What the OP is suggesting is that everyone can adjust their timers, with the time, cost and the reward increasing or decreasing accordingly.

For example:

A: 10 hours duration, cost: 10 marks, 5k expertise, 50 EC worth of items. reward: 500 reputation, 50 dilithium
B: 20 hours duration, cost: 20 marks, 10k expertise, 100 EC worth of items. reward: 1000 reputation, 100 dilithium
C: 40 hours duration, cost: 40 marks, 20k expertise, 200 EC worth of items. reward: 2000 reputation, 200 dilithium

etc....

input and rewards would be the same, but you'd be more flexible. need 100 reputaion to unlock the next tier and you want it now? slot an assignment with a short duration. out of town for 4 days and 500 spare omega marks? slot a long running project. You choose the one that currently best fits your needs.

The idea has merit and would be way more comfortable for us. I do belive that due to technical issues and for the reason that cryptic wants us to log in as often as possible, it probably won't happen, though.
Captain
# 15
08-10-2013, 03:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stofsk View Post
I agree.

Its like asking the government to double or triple your taxes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fraghul2000 View Post
What is so difficult to understand?

What the OP is suggesting is that everyone can adjust their timers, with the time, cost and the reward increasing or decreasing accordingly.

For example:

A: 10 hours duration, cost: 10 marks, 5k expertise, 50 EC worth of items. reward: 500 reputation, 50 dilithium
B: 20 hours duration, cost: 20 marks, 10k expertise, 100 EC worth of items. reward: 1000 reputation, 100 dilithium
C: 40 hours duration, cost: 40 marks, 20k expertise, 200 EC worth of items. reward: 2000 reputation, 200 dilithium

etc....

input and rewards would be the same, but you'd be more flexible. need 100 reputaion to unlock the next tier and you want it now? slot an assignment with a short duration. out of town for 4 days and 500 spare omega marks? slot a long running project. You choose the one that currently best fits your needs.

The idea has merit and would be way more comfortable for us. I do belive that due to technical issues and for the reason that cryptic wants us to log in as often as possible, it probably won't happen, though.
Since your method would cause players to sign-in irregularly, people would spend less time playing the game. Cryptic wants people to sign-in to "STO" daily; therefore, the method you subscribe may be considered counter-productive.

Your proposal is an interesting idea. If the method was applied in the right way, I can see how it would help casual players. When Cryptic gives players what they want, the outcomes have always caused certain inconveniences. Cryptic likes to have players pay more for convenience. Compare the prices to buy reputation items and fleet items. Reputation items cost double the price of fleet items. Even though unlocking reputation system items is easy, Cryptic hit everyone with a big price for the convenience.

Plasma Dual Heavy Cannon MK XI (Reputation System) = 19,500 dilith (per item)
Fleet Plasma Dual Heavy Cannon MK XII = 9,500 dilith + fleet marks. (per item)

Since one player is working on the system, the cost to buy a reputation system item should be cheaper.

Last edited by linyive; 08-10-2013 at 08:17 PM.
Captain
# 16
08-10-2013, 04:57 PM
Quote:
Since your method would cause players to sign-in irregularly, people would spend less time playing the game. Cryptic wants people to sign-in to "STO" daily; therefore, the method you subscribe may be considered counter-productive.
That's pretty much what I mentioned in my last sentence and my post on page 1 of this thread.

Quote:
Your proposal is an interesting idea. If the method was applied in the right way, I can see how it would help casual players. When Cryptic gives players what they want, the outcomes have always had certain inconvenience. Cryptic likes to have players pay more for convenience. Compare the prices to buy reputation items and fleet items. Reputation items cost double the price of fleet items. Even though unlocking reputation system items is easy, Cryptic hit everyone with a big price for the convenience.
Credit where credit is due. It's the OPs idea. People just seemed to mistake his "give us a slider to adjust the projects to our needs" with "I want the old 40-hour projects back!!11!!!".

I fully agree with you, though. The OPs idea is good, it would be good for us, but I think it'll never be implemented due to the reasons mentioned above.
Survivor of Romulus
# 17
08-10-2013, 05:24 PM
IMO....i like this idea...alot of times i HAVE the items i need for 3-5 days of rep....and i cant put it all in at once and wait (i have to anyways so i dont mind waiting longer for equivalent award)

Quote:
Originally Posted by borticuscryptic View Post
I find this line of replies sadly hilarious. We put a lot of work into the massive list of fixes/changes above, and ya'll are hung up on the ability to skip our content. =p
Captain
# 18
08-10-2013, 08:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fraghul2000 View Post
I fully agree with you, though. The OPs idea is good, it would be good for us, but I think it'll never be implemented due to the reasons mentioned above.
*nods* I can see how people got confused.

When you deal with Cryptic implementing players' ideas, you always have to watch out for the catch twenty-two. Players may get what they want, but it will always come with a twist.

Last edited by linyive; 08-10-2013 at 08:18 PM.
Rihannsu
# 19
08-10-2013, 09:49 PM
it is an interesting idea. the issue with it is this, the longer you want to slot the project for, say 7 days, you have to spent X amount of hours/days gathering those marks to fill the project. the reputation like nukara it could take u a few days just to get those marks effectively making that 7day project take 10 days or more to complete so where is the benefit?
Survivor of Romulus
# 20
08-11-2013, 12:16 AM
While I like the OP's idea (many times I can't get on each day due to RL commitments), the devs would never introduce it. From a business point of view ( people do forget this game is a business out to make a profit) forcing the player base to log in more often increase the chance of the player base spending real money on the game.

Nice idea though.......