Survivor of Romulus
Welcome to a special episode of Broadcast UGC brought to you by the Foundry Roundtable. In this show, we play through "Rose Tinted Mirror" by isthisscience.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_O6W...ature=youtu.be

For those of you not familiar with BroadcastUGC, basically we play through a Foundry mission and act out all the parts, while reviewing the mission as we go. The original show was created by Bazag and Galactrix, but it's been a while since we saw a new episode. After Friday's Foundry Roundtable recording session, the four of us (our guest for the evening had departed) decided to run a Foundry mission and I said "Hey, I'll video this and we'll do it like an episode of BroadcastUGC!" Then we roped in one of the original founders, Bazag, and away we went.

We picked Rose Tinted Mirror simply because it was the next one in my queue of missions to review. We do plan on doing this again, not sure when though or what mission we'll choose. Hope you all enjoy!

Cast for this show includes: drogyn1701, hippiejohn, markhawkman, greendragoon and Bazag.
The Foundry Roundtable live Wednesdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
"I would rather take a chance on getting a change made to the game through positive engagement than know for sure that I got a change made by complaining" -drogyn1701, May 14, 2014.
Starfleet Veteran
# 2
08-13-2013, 07:40 PM
You know, just about every theory we had for what was going on was wrong.

@greendragoon
Rihannsu
# 3
08-13-2013, 09:59 PM
Hehe, it was an interesting story concept.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Commander
# 4
08-14-2013, 11:57 AM
Awesome guys! That's fantastic, and a great way of doing your mission reviews. Thanks for your feedback, already implementing as many changes as I can. It was really helpful seeing how other people play the mission (I don't play it normally - I often walk round ESD rather than run to "stay in character"? in other words I manage to make STO boring?) and where they get to. Also a great way to get a more in depth look on what people think of specific bits and see rations real-time rather than after some thought (especially on bits at the start). I can only think of one thing that might be bad about these types of reviews - now people have played through the whole thing (kind of) and know the plot? But was awesome for feedback and has helped a great deal in corrections and planning my new one.

A few replies to things you brought up. (oh dear, essay alert!)

UESPA: There have been frequent references to UESPA throughout Star Trek. It popped up a few times in TOS (Kirk referred to UESPA as the Enterprises "operating authority") when they hadn't quite decided in terminology yet. TNG continued references and there it also popped up in Voyager (Friendship One I think was the episode). Enterprise referenced it in writing (logos reading "Starfleet Command - United Earth Space Probe Agency"). However there has never been anyone making clear how these two interacted or developed. So it is both built in canon, and elaborated by myself to make sense.

Zhe: Yes, she is meant to be French. I did write it in a heavy French accent plus a few French words but it was toady unreadable by anyone but myself and my sister so I knocked it down to "zhe". Given how it can disrupt people's reading of it, I don't think I'll try that trick again!

Pronouncing names: Didn't realise they so unpronounceable, I work in an office with a lot of these kind of names so I suppose I'm very used to them I don't think. Drygn was very good at them though! Riva Mercier (Ree'-vah Mer-see-er). Chandni (Chand-Nee). Said (Sigh-eed). Hypatia (Hi-pay-sha). And I haven't played Half Life, I did live in Scandinavia though.

Spelling & Grammar: Some of the points you brought up were my British spelling (authorisation in UK, authorization in US) but there are still problems. With dialogue trees, very hard to catch them in playthrough. Wrote Your Mission Has Ended in a word processor but still coming up with problems! Need a solution for my next one.

Dialogue options: I had a mix of false choices and real choices - you seemed to only be voting on the false ones! I wanted to give the illusion of choice, to give some control, but often the end result of the other persons point would be so similar it would be an identical response anyway. Sometimes I did do slight variations which I did more in YMHE. My next one though I'm planning on building all around real choice as I would love to get away from that strategy.

Glass panels: If they were taller, I wanted to sink them so the text wouldn't appear. But good catch on the orientation - people do poke a lot deeper than I expect them to, I had to stick invisible walls over the unused second room because people managed to access it between the machinery. I'll remember to do the smallest tweaks next time!

Unfazed staff: In all honestly, first I didn't know I could then when I figured it out late on I decided I against it because i hated the look of respawining while you're looking or talking to someone to stays cowering long after combat has passed. I just passed it off that they're tough - and/or they were cowering until the holograms turned and fought you and hence were distracted.

The fighters in orbit being mirror ships: Nope, they were just mirror fighters. Though i did reskin them as Aeons. Interesting what happens with five people - not sure how I'd proof an storyline against the game doing something like that?.

You mentioned the UESPA ship names, if anyone is curious about some, here's the complete list;
Carl Sagan (20th century US astronomer & science communicator)
Johannes Kepler (17th century German astronomer
Georges Lemaitre (20th century Belgian astronomer)
Yuri Gagarin (Russian cosmonaut - first man in space)
Neil Armstrong (US astronaut - first man on the moon)
Valentina Tereshkova (Russian cosmonaut - first woman in space)
Edwin Hubble (20th century US astronomer)
Rose Kumagawa (21st century astronaut on Ares IV mission to Mars)
Abigail Harrison (First Person on Mars)

Starfleet ships around Jupiter
USS Hypatia (my own ship name, after the amazing Hypatia of ancient Alexandria)
USS Kumari (http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Kumari)
USS Theodorus (Greek mathematician who argued for empirical science rather than philosophy - another nod to Carl Sagan for those who have watched the ship he wished to see on Cosmos.)

I'm surprised no one has brought up the fact we had a time ship - I did have a whole side conversation about why it was there - coming up with a story about regulations brought in after Assignment: Earth (where Kirk was for some reason conducting "routine historical observation of 20th century Earth) about time travel. I cut it because it ruined the flow a bit.

Thanks again for the awesome review, hope to see more of these from you all! Was fantastic!
Rihannsu
# 5
08-14-2013, 12:21 PM
Quote:
The fighters in orbit being mirror ships: Nope, they were just mirror fighters. Though i did reskin them as Aeons. Interesting what happens with five people - not sure how I'd proof an storyline against the game doing something like that?
I think SB UGC has a listing of how enemy groups scale upwards as player counts change.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Survivor of Romulus
# 6
08-14-2013, 12:42 PM
When we were done recording we all said "we should do more of these!" but it certainly won't be every week.

It was a funny thing about the UESPA, none of us had heard of it and yet it was canon. I loved that myself. It's not every day a Foundry mission can teach you something you didn't know about Star Trek.
The Foundry Roundtable live Wednesdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
"I would rather take a chance on getting a change made to the game through positive engagement than know for sure that I got a change made by complaining" -drogyn1701, May 14, 2014.
Starfleet Veteran
# 7
08-14-2013, 01:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by markhawkman View Post
I think SB UGC has a listing of how enemy groups scale upwards as player counts change.
Here it is, I keep it bookmarked: http://starbaseugc.com/index.php/tra...ling-for-npcs/

With enough people, any group can scale up to battleship.

@greendragoon
Rihannsu
# 8
08-14-2013, 01:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreendragoon1 View Post
Here it is, I keep it bookmarked: http://starbaseugc.com/index.php/tra...ling-for-npcs/

With enough people, any group can scale up to battleship.
Cool! Thanks.

I guess that must have been Fighter 1?
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
Starfleet Veteran
# 9
08-14-2013, 04:59 PM
Why did I not find this thread until just now?

Anyway, yes. I am thisisscience I am Australian myself. So I did stick up for the British style spelling.

One thing that I forgot to comment on the video was that I liked how you incorporated the idea of the iconians into the mission in the cryptic manner via the DTI agent. You blink and you miss it but you've shown just how well you know show canon and STO canon. OH, and one other thing, the holographic communicator is also canon it was seen in DS9. I don't think any of us mentioned it at the time.

I thereby give you props. ALL THE PROPS.