Career Officer
# 51
08-17-2013, 08:54 PM
To answer why the Voth aren't the dominant power in the galaxy

= they hold themselves back, for example breaking the warp barrier was considered taboo for the longest time.

= ancient china initially sent out many exploration ships, more than likely if they continued that expansionist agenda, their influence would have been more concrete in the asian sphere and not just cultural. the modification of confucionism into the revived form of neo-confucionism made china at that time more centrally focussed if not introverted.

Doctrine, at times can cause drastic advances in technology and social standings, but in the case of the voth it held them back for a period of time.

I look forward to pew pewing with them.
<a href=http://tinyurl.com/msywqm5 target=_blank>http://tinyurl.com/msywqm5</a>
Chillax. No Ego. No Drama.

Like my alien? Watch THE VIDEO
Need custom graphics for you or your fleet? Click HERE
Starfleet Veteran
# 52
08-17-2013, 09:34 PM
Another reason they're not more dominant is that the galaxy is a LOT bigger than people realize, especially EU writers.

Take the old alpha/beta quadrant map that gets passed around a lot, with particular interest on the inset at the top right. That circle is 1500 light years across, and the entire Federation, the Klingons, the Romulans, the Cardassians, even the "remote" Breen and Tholians don't even reach out to the 1,000 ly circle. Assuming that represents a cylinder through the entire galactic disk, that's 0.0000000000035% of the entire galaxy. Even adding what portion of Star Trek is outside that 1500 ly circle, all of Star Trek is a rounding error against the rest of the galaxy.

Even completely uninhibited by belief or doctrine and imbued with a new thirst for conquest, the Voth could not dominate on that scale. A thousand races just like them could be lurking in the galaxy and not even be aware of each other.

Last edited by hevach; 08-17-2013 at 09:39 PM.
Captain
# 53
08-18-2013, 05:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by commanderkassy View Post
If you are making the Voth bad guys.. W H Y!?

Why can't we make peaceful contact for once?

I will hate you forever if you turn one of the most interesting races we encounter into another cannon fodder villain of the week. I will hate you so, so much. At least have some of them be on our side. We need allies against the Iconians, we don't need more uber races to fight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If the forums allowed it, this post would be in all caps rage mode.. and I usually don't nerd rage.. but F*** This has the potential to just make me S O O O O O O M A D
I know this post was a few pages back however they may be hostile for a few missions but who knows maybe we ally with them in a huge mission against the iconions we don't know what will happen yet
NO TO ARC
Vice Admiral Volmack ISS Thundermole
Brigadier General Jokag IKS Gorkan
Centurion Kares RRW Tomalak
Captain
# 54
08-18-2013, 06:19 AM
Didnt know much about the Voth as never seen the episode but find it strangely coincidental that I was reading of the myriad universe novels and in the Voyager section it actually has the Voth featured in the novel. Now considering how religious they are there could be any reason they return to us i.e a pilgrimage to the holy planet like there garden of eden and decide to take it back. who knows but think there planet ships could give us further STF missions

Love the idea of Dyson Sphere as well
NO TO ARC
Vice Admiral Volmack ISS Thundermole
Brigadier General Jokag IKS Gorkan
Centurion Kares RRW Tomalak
Lt. Commander
# 55
08-19-2013, 11:15 AM
The captain's log should be coming today right?

# 56
10-23-2013, 02:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by robeasom View Post
Now considering how religious they are there could be any reason they return to us i.e a pilgrimage to the holy planet like there garden of eden and decide to take it back.
If you think of the earth, it won't happen because the "distant origin theory" is against their doctrine. The believe to have been originated in the delta quadrant, so there wouldn't be a holy crusade against humans or earth. Still a nice concept though.