Former PWE Community Team Lead
# 1 Guest Blog: No Win Scenario
08-19-2013, 12:00 PM
Community Member V_Silverwings has written a Guest Blog about "No Win Scenario," one of our max-level, queueable events.

Link to the blog.
Brandon "BranFlakes" Felczer | Former Community Team Lead for Perfect World Entertainment
Captain
# 2
08-19-2013, 12:06 PM
oh you mean that thing that used to actually be a challenge and kept getting nerfed?

and is made constantly easier by the addition of stupidly imbalanced consoles just for a quick buck?

that mission?

what a laugh.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mancom View Post
Frankly, I think the only sound advice that one can give new players at this time is to stay away from PVP in STO.
Science pvp at its best-http://www.youtube.com/user/matteo716
Do you even Science Bro?
Captain
# 3
08-19-2013, 12:11 PM
Now me personally I would consider keeping a single enemy ship alive and allowing the team to be at full strength for each and every wave to be an exploit as it goes against the intended nature of the mission. But hey, that's just me.
Get yer Fleet Gear here!
Military 5 / Engineering 4 / Science 4
Starbase 5 / Embassy 3 / Mine 3 / Spire 3
Diplomacy 3 / Recruit 3 / Trade 3 / Development 3 / Research 3 / Operations 3
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...1#post16435781
Survivor of Romulus
# 4
08-19-2013, 12:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maicake716 View Post
oh you mean that thing that used to actually be a challenge and kept getting nerfed?

and is made constantly easier by the addition of stupidly imbalanced consoles just for a quick buck?

that mission?

what a laugh.
NWS hasn't been nerfed, at all. It's just been made more obtainable to other players through power creep.

It's still inherently un-puggable and will always be IMHO. To imply that it's easy? Well, I want some of what you're taking.

EDIT: Distraction from the original intent of my replying but the guy in front of me - which was to congratulate Silverwings on getting this written and published. I know it's something you're passionate about and have been trying to do for a long time.

Hopefully we can get a community event for this!
Survivor of Romulus
# 5
08-19-2013, 12:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bareel View Post
Now me personally I would consider keeping a single enemy ship alive and allowing the team to be at full strength for each and every wave to be an exploit as it goes against the intended nature of the mission. But hey, that's just me.
FWIW saving a ship is not an I-win button. In fact, many of the better teams have stopped saving because 1) it slows you down, and 2) it means you have to either deal with warheads or take out the warhead platforms.

Cooldown management and not saving a ship leader to better results overall, but it takes some practise to get there. Knowing which waves to alpha, which waves to gravity well, and when to use your TBR become of the utmost importance - not to mention your positioning on every wave.

Saving on 9 is kind of understandable, because wave 10 is so ridiculous - it doubles the amount of ships from the previous wave and throws in a dreadnought for North and East flanks - if you don't have any attack patterns or gravity well, it's not going to end well.

Waiting for a 2 minute cooldown on Alpha by saving a ship isn't as easy as it sounds, be prepared to deal with ~4 spawns of warheads, which on wave 9, aren't so fun.
Career Officer
# 6
08-19-2013, 12:25 PM
Awesome write up...

Thanks Silverwings!!!
Empire Veteran
# 7
08-19-2013, 12:35 PM
Congrats Silver on the blog! Hopefully this will help a lot and we'll see even more announcements about teams winning.
King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride.
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...1#post13990891
Community Moderator
# 8
08-19-2013, 12:46 PM
Great writeup Silverwings! Thanks for sharing your input on how to beat the no win scenario without hacking the program
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online forums
My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment
If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a community support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Lt. Commander
# 9
08-19-2013, 12:54 PM
He forgot to mention that you basically HAVE to be a tactical captain. No place for engineers or science in a winning team. Just like there is no place for cruisers or science ships.

No win scenario highlights the key problem there is in this game. Damage > everything.
Commander
# 10
08-19-2013, 12:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by poeddude View Post
He forgot to mention that you basically HAVE to be a tactical captain. No place for engineers or science in a winning team. Just like there is no place for cruisers or science ships.

No win scenario highlights the key problem there is in this game. Damage > everything.
At least two members of the first team to complete it fed side were engineers, actually. I think one of us was science, too. Can't remember right now.

But hey between you and the guy whining about p2w as if it has any relevance whatsoever to the blog or No Win Scenario as a whole I'm already entertained by this thread. Let the jelly spreading begin!