Commander
# 1 No Voth aggression
08-18-2013, 09:52 PM
I saw the next FE seems to have the Voth turning hostile and having a potential relation to the Iconians, that implies two far more advanced opponents, that will be less interesting than Cryptic thinks.

I cant imagine how we're expected to fight 2 races* some million years ahead of us, better for their leaders to come here thinking they can prove there is no earth, failing and needing our assistance with rioting, or something.

*Iconians were beaten 200,000 years ago, no telling how much older then that they are.
Empire Veteran
# 2
08-19-2013, 01:43 AM
Its interesting you bring this up.

As you know this game has an altered timeline.

there are still actual advanced races that in the current star trek online universe that have not been met.

One is the Organians.....the energy beings that made the Klingons and federations stop fighting....and create the organian peace treaty.(this kind of shows an in game temporal paradox by the way as this would have been the only way space station K7 would have appeared as shermans planet was a focal point of war before the treaty)

Also I do not believe Triskelia nor the Excalibians have been encountered in this game's time line either.

Which makes me wonder if the Andromedans where ever met either....or if they are still on their way back to earth.

ie...the iconians and fungus people seam pretty powerful...but what can they do against ancient races with powers way beyond simple gate technology.

Have to love those old star trek episodes....lets just hope that landru was still destroyed as well....lest the borg find him and start trying to absorb everyone.
Lieutenant
# 3
08-19-2013, 03:17 AM
Valid Question.
Combine power of all major races in Alpha quadrant is not match for Voth advance tech.
And Ally Voth with Iconians is way too stupid.
It looks like Cryptic want for Alpha Quadrant too fall into Iconian hands.
There is no current tech on any major races that can combat those two powerful enemies.
It is better for Cryptic too focus on Sphere builders and their war against rest of our realm.
It is far more interesting then Voth.
Voth is nomad race.No planet too attack and no colony
They did not set foot on any planet for millions of years
Captain
# 4
08-19-2013, 08:01 PM
Hostile Voth does not mean that they are allies of the Iconians.

The Tholians are hostile to the Fed, Klinks and Romulans, and yet there is no indication that they are allies of the Iconians. To the contrary, I believe that the Tholians are trying to learn as much about Iconian tech as they can to counter them - at the price of stomping some filthy humanoids along the road. Tholian style.
Captain
# 5
08-20-2013, 04:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by psychickitty View Post
Its interesting you bring this up.

As you know this game has an altered timeline.

there are still actual advanced races that in the current star trek online universe that have not been met.

One is the Organians.....the energy beings that made the Klingons and federations stop fighting....and create the organian peace treaty.(this kind of shows an in game temporal paradox by the way as this would have been the only way space station K7 would have appeared as shermans planet was a focal point of war before the treaty)

Also I do not believe Triskelia nor the Excalibians have been encountered in this game's time line either.

Which makes me wonder if the Andromedans where ever met either....or if they are still on their way back to earth.

ie...the iconians and fungus people seam pretty powerful...but what can they do against ancient races with powers way beyond simple gate technology.

Have to love those old star trek episodes....lets just hope that landru was still destroyed as well....lest the borg find him and start trying to absorb everyone.
I do not know where you got that idea from. STO's timeline follows the one seen in the various series, up until after Nemesis. After that, the canonicity of all the facts except the ones that are stated in STXI is open for debate, sure, but...
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, lovely, I can't even requote the Douglas Adams quote I used to have here I WANT IT BACK!!!!
Dalo Lorn
DaloLorn, StarCraft 2 Roleplayer and proud of it.
Career Officer
# 6
08-20-2013, 04:42 AM
If the Voth are or are not allied with the Iconians, I doubt the Iconians themselves would share too much technology with them. Only enough to make them a threat to the current powers that be and with that being said, the Klingon Empire and the Federation would eventually reverse engineer said technology to discover a way to combat the Iconians and would probably lead to higher ranks and new kits.
"I will make the Orion Syndicate face the light of justice or burn them with it." - Captainl Kyle Nathaniel Locke, U.S.S. Excalibur NCC-98105
Captain
# 7
08-20-2013, 05:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kylelocke View Post
the Klingon Empire and the Federation would eventually reverse engineer said technology to discover a way to combat the Iconians and would probably lead to higher ranks and new kits.
Will this be before or after the Iconians appear everywhere and obliterate everyone's fleets and colonies?
Captain
# 8
08-20-2013, 07:01 AM
I seriously doubt the Iconians would have any real connection to the Voth. Making such a connection would cheapen the Voth. However, it is true that different races progress at different rates so if the Voth have been around for 65 million years and the Iconians for only 2 million, then the Iconians could obtain more advanced technology due to them not being restricted by the Doctrine or some other belief that slows progress. The Voth could be doing the exact same thing we are, finding cool new technology and they like big ships so getting a Dyson Sphere would be one of their goals.
Captain
# 9
08-20-2013, 07:23 AM
Quote:
Combine power of all major races in Alpha quadrant is not match for Voth advance tech.
Any scources for that or are you just making assumptions?

Afaik the only material out there is what we saw and heard in the single Voyager episode, without any other scource mentioning them, not even secondary stuff like novels. If I remember that episode, the only tech we saw was them mentioning transwarp and they did a bit of hacking into Voyagers systems, while being held back technologically by thousand of years through their religious doctrines.

Sure they managed to capture Voyager, but even a dumb-as-a-brick species like the Kazon managed to pull that off...
Starfleet Veteran
# 10
08-20-2013, 09:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fraghul2000 View Post
Any scources for that or are you just making assumptions?

Afaik the only material out there is what we saw and heard in the single Voyager episode, without any other scource mentioning them, not even secondary stuff like novels. If I remember that episode, the only tech we saw was them mentioning transwarp and they did a bit of hacking into Voyagers systems, while being held back technologically by thousand of years through their religious doctrines.

Sure they managed to capture Voyager, but even a dumb-as-a-brick species like the Kazon managed to pull that off...
They did other things - they could beam entire ships, they had near perfect personal and ship cloaking devices, exotic power generation, etc. They were far advanced over the Federation in every aspect that was shown - except they were not by a longshot advanced enough to account for their 20 million years of recorded history and 65+ million years of existence. They've advanced so slowly as to be at an effective standstill.

Meanwhile, on the other side of the lines, between extinction level conflicts with two technologically superior enemies and a series of cataclysmic wars, our side of the galaxy has had a technological explosion. In Best of Both Worlds, the best the Federation could do didn't even damage the Borg. Even by First Contact, they were able to do damage, just not enough without Picard's inside knowledge. By the end of Voyager they could do real damage and in STO they fought off a full scale invasion force.

Technology has been running out of control here while last we knew the Voth were still quibbling about genetic ancestry and religious dogma. We're on fair footing with the Tholians. At this point the Voth are at best about as far ahead of us as the Tholians were in the 23rd Century - probably still more advanced but hardly insurmountable.

Last edited by hevach; 08-20-2013 at 09:21 AM.