Captain
# 1 Pinch or punch was Nimoy right
08-21-2013, 04:25 AM
Found this enlightning little article while looking at another thread of a unknown ST TOS fact.

Apparently the Vulcan nerve pinch came about after Leonard Nimoy refused to (as Spock) punch Kirk's lights out.

He said that Vulcans were more sophisticated in taking out their opponents.

I'll let you read the article yourselves.

Was Nimoy right? Would you like to see a more aggressive Vulcan?

http://www.blastr.com/2013-8-16/litt...-started-punch
Live long and Prosper
Captain
# 2
08-21-2013, 04:31 AM
I personally like the nerve pinch as a violent vulcan would have been out of place. Plus it looks alien so with that and the mind meld you can believe Vulcans are very different to us.

It's now one of the most iconic Vulcan things similar to the vulcan hand salute
NO TO ARC
Vice Admiral Volmack ISS Thundermole
Brigadier General Jokag IKS Gorkan
Centurion Kares RRW Tomalak
Starfleet Veteran
# 3
08-21-2013, 05:56 AM
A punch isn't just a violent thing, it's dangerous. It puts you in range of retaliation, it's not guaranteed to render the target unconscious (and unconsciousness from a blow to the head is usually brief), and the thing movies always overlook is that teeth and some face bones are harder than hand bones and there's a good chance you'll hurt yourself worse than the target.

The pinch can be delievered quickly from behind, reliably causes extended unconsciousness, and carries no risk of self injury. Higher reliability and lower risk sounds pretty logical to me.

If they'd stuck to the original concept it was also something unique to Vulcans - it wasn't just a pinch but the same sort of energy used to initiate a mind meld applied offensively. Then Kirk learned to use it so that idea was out.

Last edited by hevach; 08-21-2013 at 06:00 AM.
Captain
# 4
08-21-2013, 06:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hevach View Post
The pinch can be delievered quickly from behind, reliably causes extended unconsciousness, and carries no risk of self injury. Higher reliability and lower risk sounds pretty logical to me.
Are you saying Vulcans attack sneakily like Romulans?
STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
Career Officer
# 5
08-21-2013, 06:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecosmic1 View Post
Are you saying Vulcans attack sneakily like Romulans?
If it's logical to do so, why not take the enemy out as quickly and efficiently as possible? It always reminded me of Krav Maga for Vulcans.
----
Starfleet Veteran
# 6
08-21-2013, 06:35 AM
We almost never see a Vulcan *not* attacking from behind or in ambush doing this, or from around a doorway, or some other kind of ambush.
Captain
# 7
08-21-2013, 07:06 AM
When did Kirk do it? The only non Vulcan I remember doing it was Data. Though it does still leave your original point intact. I like the idea of it being mind meld energy used offensivly. Never thought of it that way before.

A Romulan Strike Team, Missing Farmers and an ancient base on a Klingon Border world. But what connects them? Find out in my First Foundary mission: 'The Jeroan Farmer Escapade'
Starfleet Veteran
# 8
08-21-2013, 07:14 AM
Spock taught it to Kirk, though he failed when he tried to do it. McCoy attempted it while he was carrying Spock's katra but failed - his failure was blamed on his arthritis. As for non-vulcans who did succeed: Picard did it successfully a couple times, first in Starship Mine. Odo did it in Paradise Lost, and Seven of Nine did it several times.
Captain
# 9
08-21-2013, 07:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hevach View Post
It may be sneakier and more successful than a punch but it still requires you to be in close range and in the (unlikely) event that it didn't work you could find yourself in the same situation as you had with a punch.

That being said it has far less energy expenditure to the point where it can be done on multiple targets with both hands, as seen in TOS. Leaving you with more energy and ability to do other things, such as run away or block a tertiary attack.

I did love part of City on the Edge of Forever where Spock does it to an unsuspecting Police officer who is about to arrest him on the pretense that he is fixing something on the mans collar for him.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin
Starfleet Veteran
# 10
08-21-2013, 07:19 AM
All the humanoids who proved resistant to a nerve pinch (Gary Seven and the augments) also pretty much shrugged off a punch to the face. At least the nerve pinch hurt augments, punching them just made them angry.