Survivor of Romulus
# 11
08-21-2013, 08:42 AM
To paraphrase Winston Churchill: "A hater is someone who won't change his mind and won't change the subject."
The Foundry Roundtable live Wednesdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
"I would rather take a chance on getting a change made to the game through positive engagement than know for sure that I got a change made by complaining" -drogyn1701, May 14, 2014.
Captain
# 12
08-21-2013, 08:45 AM
"Fanaticism consists of redoubling your effort when you have forgotten your aim."

-George Santayana

Lt. Commander
# 13
08-21-2013, 08:47 AM
Still haven't seen the movie yet. However that comedy vid was seriously funny OP.

I really do agree on the lens flare, far too much of it in the first JJ movie.

"You have not experienced Shakespeare until you have read him in the original Klingon, taH pagh, taH be"
Survivor of Romulus
# 14
08-21-2013, 08:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgta1967 View Post
"Star Trek Into Darkness" grossed just under half a billion dollars worldwide and currently holds a 87 percent Fresh rating on Rotten Tomatoes. Yet during a "Star Trek" fan convention in Las Vegas earlier this month, attendees ranked "Star Trek Into Darkness" as the worst of the Star Trek movies. (As someone who owns "Star Trek V: The Final Frontier" on DVD, I promise it is far from the worst "Star Trek" movie.)"

-Huffpost

the stuck in the mud trek nerds can say what they want.....but the movie proved itself, it kicked butt.
I think there's a huge distinction to be made here.

There's a huge difference between "Good space action adventure film" and "Good star trek film"

JJ's trek films are certainly great action adventure flicks, they're well written and produced (minus all the lensflares) they have a good story and are generally speaking excellent pieces of literature.

But...

And it's a big but (heh), they don't feel like Star Trek to me. That means, I don't perceive them as good star trek films. If they had called it: "Trek Wars: Into Darkness" and had a different (new) IP, we would all love it.

But they didn't, they blew up Vulcan, pissed on the canon and alienated the original cult fanbase in order to get a new wider fanbase.
Captain
# 15
08-21-2013, 09:00 AM
haters gotta hate....the movie blew all the others out of the water.

the "This is mine ! dont you dare try and evolve it " argument is laughable.
Captain
# 16
08-21-2013, 09:03 AM
there is a reason the two biggest space IP's choose this 'one' director to make movies for them.....

JJ delivers.
Survivor of Romulus
# 17
08-21-2013, 09:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgta1967 View Post
haters gotta hate....the movie blew all the others out of the water.
C'mon now, it was good but it wasn't that good.

You're seriously trying to tell me this was better than First Contact?!?
Survivor of Romulus
# 18
08-21-2013, 09:10 AM
There was someone in the other (current) JJ hate thread who was saying First Contact was the worst of all Trek films. Proof right there that "the fanbase" is not cohesive and does not think just one way about anything.

I look at it this way. If they had gone and made a movie that appealed only to previous Star Trek fans, it A) wouldn't have made any money and B) still would have been hated on by a big portion of the fanbase for the above reason.
The Foundry Roundtable live Wednesdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
"I would rather take a chance on getting a change made to the game through positive engagement than know for sure that I got a change made by complaining" -drogyn1701, May 14, 2014.
Survivor of Romulus
# 19
08-21-2013, 09:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drogyn1701 View Post
There was someone in the other (current) JJ hate thread who was saying First Contact was the worst of all Trek films. Proof right there that "the fanbase" is not cohesive and does not think just one way about anything.

I have no words, none at all.
Lt. Commander
# 20
08-21-2013, 02:52 PM
I always felt Trek movies missed the boat because they could have easily been two-hour episodes on TV and none would know the wiser. I always felt Trek failed at taking advantage of the big screen medium.

First Contact was good but it wasn't a great overall movie, just one of the better Trek movies which have, in general, been underwhelming.

The movies, imo, should be where the darker stories are told; where most of the action is. Save the exploration story arcs for TV where they can be told properly with the appropriate attention to story and character development and detail.

I like JJ Trek because it makes Star Trek into an exciting movie to watch but when you go looking to fill the gap caused by a lack of TV episodes, you may find that your expectations aren't met.

Anyways, just my 2 cents