Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 591
# 131
08-19-2013, 12:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan512 View Post
Heres the thing people dont thing about.

The reboots are great SCI FI MOVIES, they are NOT GREAT TREK, get it right people.
No, YOU get it right - your opinion is not going to be shared by others. Don't tell me how I should or should not feel about a movie.

Quote:
Change the ships name, change starfleet, change the characters names and the uniforms, and you have a great ****ing scifi movie, but these will never be trek to me.
Exactly - TO YOU. You are perfectly entitled to feel that way and I can't say you are wrong in any way, but don't presume to impose your feelings on me or anyone else. You have no say so with regards to my opinion and how I feel.


_________________________________________________

I'm still Romulus_Prime. Joined STO in January 2010.
Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 591
# 132
08-19-2013, 12:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by badvaio View Post
Into Darkness is a vile joke of a movie. How many of you didn't cringe and feel anger at the 'spock' character shouting Khan ?
I didn't. I enjoyed the movie immensely and can't wait to get it. The only thing "cringe-worthy" is when fans try to impose THEIR feelings on others. I disliked much of Voyager, most of Enterprise, Generations and Insurrection and I utterly despise Nemesis. That gives me no right to impose my personal feelings on people who do like them. They are entitled to that.

When they start criticizing things based on similar problems or mistakes in past Trek shows is when it's no hold barred. You can argue for or against merits of a movie or show, i.e. facts that do or do not make for a good production. Personal feelings (Example: "That's not Trek" or "You're not a true fan because ...") are totally irrelevant aspects and have no place in a discussion.


Quote:
JJ Abrams is taking the piss out of Star Trek fans and the studio is letting him.
LOL - did you miss Star Trek V and all the TNG movies? Spare me this drama...
_________________________________________________

I'm still Romulus_Prime. Joined STO in January 2010.

Last edited by kain9prime; 08-19-2013 at 05:04 PM.
Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 779
# 133
08-19-2013, 03:18 PM
Nemesis and Insurrection are far better than JJ rubbish. In fact I prefer them to First Contact which was rubbish after the time travel gimmick thing.
Monkey see, Monkey do. Monkey flings Feathered Monkey poo...
Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 591
# 134
08-19-2013, 05:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustiswordz View Post
Nemesis and Insurrection are far better than JJ rubbish. In fact I prefer them to First Contact which was rubbish after the time travel gimmick thing.
Considering how much they turn the TNG characters and history on its head, I really don't see how they are better in any way. At least NuTrek has the benefit of being in an alternate reality. The TNG movies have no excuse...
_________________________________________________

I'm still Romulus_Prime. Joined STO in January 2010.
Captain
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,197
# 135
08-19-2013, 05:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kain9prime View Post
....the Only Thing "cringe-worthy" Is When Fans Try To Impose Their Feelings On Others.....


____________
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 133
# 136
08-19-2013, 06:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by badvaio View Post
Into Darkness is a vile joke of a movie. How many of you didn't cringe and feel anger at the 'spock' character shouting Khan ? JJ Abrams is taking the piss out of Star Trek fans and the studio is letting him.

Can't wait for him to work his gold turning to crap powers on Star Wars and CBS/Paramount/Whoever can get someone that isn't an asshat to do the next Star Trek film, someone that actually cares about the franchise and history.
Wow. Ok, I get you didn't like Into Darkness.

1) I didn't cringe at all when Spock shouted "Khan". Why would I? It was Spock expressing anger at Khan for causing the death of a person he has finally learned to call a "friend" after all the conflict the two have endured.

Purists seem to be under some false illusion that this Spock is like Nimoy's Spock. In case you didn't notice, JJ has made Trek a little grittier and sexier which to me is fine. I'm also guessing that since this Spock has been shown to be a hot-head since he was a kid(fighting the kids on Vulcan, being a smart arse to the Science Council) this isn't out of his character at all. Plus he probably hasn't gone through the rite of Kolinar either(and since he's with Uhura he may not). After all Nimoy's Spock did that during the lay over between the 5 year mission and ST:TMP to completely purge his human emotions.


2) As for getting someone who isn't an "asshat" to direct the next Trek, submit your resume. I can only assume that you are qualified to direct the next film or even the next Star Wars film, because you have said JJ is just so bad. I assume you know what he is doing wrong. Oh that's right, it's not that you know what he's doing wrong, it's what you think is wrong. Your opinion on JJ may be shared by others, but it isn't shared by everybody. And I'm will to bet that Paramount definitely doesn't share your opinion after watching the profits roll in from the two JJ Treks.

I enjoy JJ Trek. In enjoye ST:ID. In fact, I'll go on record and say I thought it was better than the first. Of course I'm a huge Khan fan, and it gave me my Khan fix. My kids enjoy JJ Trek. In fact it has gotten my son and littlest daughter interested in watching the old shows on Netflix(even Enterprise) and the old movies. Then there is my brother-in-law who is not a fan of the original Treks. Not his thing. But he has immensely enjoyed both JJ Treks, and like me, liked ST:ID more.

I equate people like you to the same people who pissed and moaned about the new Battlestar Galactica. "Oh my god, Starbucks a girl. Apollo isn't Apollo's name, its just a call sign, Adama's hispanic, Tigh isn't black, Cylons are human looking, the Galactica retracts the launch pods for hyper-jump, etc. etc. etc". It's all an opinion, and as they say: opinions are like a rear part of the human anatomy, everybody has one.
"There's a reason you separate military and the police. One fights the enemies of the state, the other serves and protects the people. When the military becomes both, then the enemies of the state tend to become the people."-Commander William Adama
Lt. Commander
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 127
# 137
08-20-2013, 07:56 PM
I just saw this now that its released on Xbox video.

Ya I'm not sure how it was voted anywhere near the bottom. You cannot just dismiss the concept of the new movies to serve some motive. If you like the originals better, that's fine but they are telling a new story and I take it for what it is.

Comparing this storyline with the old one directly as if they are somehow supposed to align is silly. The characters have been through different events and therefore will be different in the end.

Spock lost his planet before Enterprise even started its 5 year mission. Nothing before is going to be how it is in this universe. I for one, would like to see how it pans out.

ps: Calling time travel a gimmick and calling oneself a true trek fan is a bit of an oxymoron

Last edited by gonjaa; 08-20-2013 at 08:12 PM.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 951
# 138
08-21-2013, 03:17 AM
Lets not forget Spock didn't just loose his planet, he lost his mother at the same time. He no longer has Amanda to help guide him in dealing with his human emotions. At the start of ID, he's showing signs of survivor's guilt in the Volcano. He's clearly still hurting, but being Vulcan, represses it. When he shouts Khan, it's because it's all built up and he can't take it anymore. He's just lost someone he has spent a year becoming good friends with, someone who he clearly considers a capable captain, if a bit unorthadox at times, and someone he considers a friend.


Yes, it was a blatant homage. Yes, it made sense if you think about it. No, I did not cringe, I grinned like a loon during the saying goodbye part, wondering if they would have him scream it or not. It added to the thrill of the scene. And then I let out a tiny cheer in my head cos they did do it. It was all of Spock's repressed emotions, emotions that he had not truly mastered yet (and just look at Spock in The Cage, he clearly hasn't mastered his emotions this early in his life for all those purists), bubbling up. What happened was basically the straw that broke the camel's back, as proven by how crazed he went after Khan.



Honestly, I enjoy JJ trek. Sure, they have their flaws, and the last one I would only rank lower middle of the pack, but Into Darkness is in my top 5 trek films. It felt like Trek, the action, the sense of adventure and comraderie between the crew, the fun of watching it, the tale of revenge and misuse of power. And I look forward to owning it on DVD.
*******************************************

A Romulan Strike Team, Missing Farmers and an ancient base on a Klingon Border world. But what connects them? Find out in my First Foundary mission: 'The Jeroan Farmer Escapade'
Captain
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,197
# 139
08-21-2013, 08:38 AM
"Star Trek Into Darkness" grossed just under half a billion dollars worldwide and currently holds a 87 percent Fresh rating on Rotten Tomatoes. Yet during a "Star Trek" fan convention in Las Vegas earlier this month, attendees ranked "Star Trek Into Darkness" as the worst of the Star Trek movies. (As someone who owns "Star Trek V: The Final Frontier" on DVD, I promise it is far from the worst "Star Trek" movie.)"

-Huffpost




like or love JJ....the movie kicked azz.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 961
# 140
08-21-2013, 10:17 AM
"Star Trek: Enterprise", "Star Trek: Nemesis", and "Star Trek: Into Darkness" solidify why the franchise needs to be put on hiatus.

"Star Trek: Enterprise" recycled too many story elements from across the entire franchise.

"Star Trek: Nemesis" recycled and cannibalized too many "Star Trek: The Next Generation" elements.

"Star Trek: Into Darkness" recycled and cannibalized too many "Star Trek: The Original Series", "Star Trek: The Next Generation", and "Star Trek: Deep Space Nine" elements.

"Star Trek" needs to go into a twenty to thirty year hiatus, so that a very new visionary can create "Star Trek: The Third Generation". Its time for the franchise to gracefully age on the shelf.

"Star Trek: Nemesis" and "Star Trek: Into Darkness" created the same sins.

Last edited by linyive; 08-21-2013 at 10:22 AM.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:50 PM.