Ensign
# 1 Into Darkness Reveiws
08-21-2013, 03:21 PM
Please rate the new movie
Career Officer
# 2
08-21-2013, 03:26 PM
I would comply if this were in Ten Forward.
----
Career Officer
# 3
08-21-2013, 03:34 PM
Ha! I rate STID 3/10.
----
Lt. Commander
# 4
08-21-2013, 03:35 PM
8/10 if you're looking for an action movie

5/10 if you're looking for an 'extended episode' type movie trek is infamous for
Captain
# 5
08-21-2013, 03:44 PM
Excessively poor
Captain
# 6
08-21-2013, 03:47 PM
dont care what any of you think... I loved it.

and it is the biggest grossing Star Trek film, nearly a half a billion dollars to date....so yeah.

JJ definately delivers.

so much that Star Wars even asked him to make one.

Last edited by cgta1967; 08-21-2013 at 03:51 PM.
Survivor of Romulus
# 7
08-21-2013, 03:50 PM
7 out of 10. Would have been higher if the Khan plot was cut out and it focused on Admiral Marcus and his manipulations, I think that was a cool plotline and would have been stronger on its own.

But please, do NOT care what I think. Form your own opinion and enjoy the fact that it might be different from what everyone else thinks.
The Foundry Roundtable live Wednesdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
Forum Logic dictates that if the devs don't do what a poster wants, they therefor actively hate what that poster is advocating for.
Forum Logic =/= Real Logic
Commander
# 8
08-21-2013, 04:09 PM
Review laced with spoilers, don't read if you don't want to.

Plot:
It's full of holes and questionable logic:
How far away is Qo'nos meant to be from Earth? The 4 days at below Warp 5 in Enterprise was bad enough, but the pacing of STID implies it's about half an hour away.
We're expected to believe that Admiral Marcus, decided to put together his plan for a more militaristic Starfleet together, found Khan, built the Vengeance (and possibly the base where the Vengeance was constructed. I doubt he'd have successfully hidden it on Utopia Planitia), and decided to start a war with the Klingons, with time for Khan to turn on him, in a year? That's "build the most powerful ship in the Quadrant at a secret base with the help of a people so subjugated that they're only used as expendable dilithium miners and suicide troops" (aka. Scimitar) levels of BS.
Why is the Starfleet equivalent of a meeting of the Joint Chiefs of Staff not protected at all?
Are there no engineers on the Enterprise other than Keenser who might be better suited to replacing Scotty than Ensign Crusherov?

And there's plenty other stuff I could harp on about, but I'll take too long.

Still, it's not the only Star Trek production to not be tightly plotted. If you ignore all the errors in the details and strip it back to its bare bones, it's plausible enough, and does a good job of bringing Khan into the equation. 4/10

Characters:
I like that Kirk is generally less brash and arrogant than in XI, which is a big improvement, but I would've liked his demotion to last more than five minutes. Spock is all over the place. Have the writers of Star Trek become incapable of doing anything with Vulcans other than have them fail to repress their emotions, y'know, the thing their whole society is supposed to do lest it nearly destroy itself again? Uhura is just there to be Spock's girlfriend (congratulations, we're now less progressive than in the 60s). Carol Marcus is there for no reason other than to be Carol Marcus. I honestly don't remember being either impressed or unimpressed with McCoy.

In terms of bad guys, Khan is plausible, Admiral Marcus isn't. It was his plan all along to destroy the Enterprise? Why? If they'd done their job perfectly from scratch, he wouldn't have needed to.

On the plus side, I like Scotty in it, and Sulu's brief cameo in the Captain's chair is good. 3/10

Cinematics / Action: Probably the high point. The action sequences are well shot and directed, and if you're into OTT stunts and superhero movies, it's a reasonable visual treat. It's maybe not completely suited to Trek, but I liked Khan's battle with the Klingons, because it immediately flagged him as an Augmented human (y'know, if you'd lived under a rock and didn't know he was going to be Khan). I also like that they had Spock, who's more of a physical match for Khan fight him rather than Kirk, although the fight itself was a bit ridiculous. 7/10

Overall, I'd give it a 4 or 5 out of 10.

Last edited by skhc; 08-21-2013 at 04:12 PM.
Captain
# 9
08-21-2013, 04:29 PM

" I would have thought that having reached this point it would be fun to go back to the years in which Kirk first got the Enterprise, and met these people. Nothing would please me more than to have Star Trek come back years in the future, and bright young people and new stars and so on really make it something, and have them say ' that's better than Roddenberrys '. I'd like that."

" Star Trek says the human adventure has just begun. It'll go on without any of us. And get better and better and better, because that really is the human condition is to improve and improve. "

- Gene Roddenberry

Last edited by cgta1967; 08-21-2013 at 04:38 PM.
Captain
# 10
08-21-2013, 04:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by brigadooom View Post
Ha! I rate STID 3/10.
LOL, you were just eagerly waiting to do that after the move, weren't you?

Edit to add: The original... The Wrath of Khan is still the best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgta1967 View Post
dont care what any of you think... I loved it.

and it is the biggest grossing Star Trek film, nearly a half a billion dollars to date....so yeah.

JJ definately delivers.

so much that Star Wars even asked him to make one.
I love it when people use big money to call a movie good.

The Phantom Menace raked in huge, huge, HUGE money. Surely with this movie logic, it was a great movie, too.

Last edited by warmaker001b; 08-21-2013 at 04:44 PM.