Captain
# 11
08-21-2013, 03:47 PM
when movies make this amount of money, it means people went back to see it again.

that "does indeed" indicate the quality of the movie in the moviegoers opinion.
Captain
# 12
08-21-2013, 03:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgta1967 View Post
when movies make this amount of money, it means people went back to see it again.

that "does indeed" indicate the quality of the movie.
I guess alot of people went back for The Phantom Menace also...
Captain
# 13
08-21-2013, 04:00 PM
Phantom menace was an entertaining movie, (obviously it nearly made a billion dollars in sales revenue).

people just love to hate on Jar Jar in retrospect, and base their bias against it solely on that.

I primarily remember Darth Maul...he was baddazz.

Last edited by cgta1967; 08-21-2013 at 04:04 PM.
Captain
# 14
08-21-2013, 04:01 PM
For me the film was one I did not hate but did not overly like.. The overall score after my second viewing today (PSN) is still something I wish to point out.

For a scifi action film the film does excel when you don't think about the plot and the notice that for every small character scene the movie bombards you to submission with spectacle and action. For me I found that more annoying than the lense flare. Action itself this time around there was a feeling of tenseness. But the last 20-30 minutes of the film was an amalgamation of half a dozen action movies I have seen including lethal weapon.. Characters I found to be a mixed back when I consider it again... Kirk I thought was good, Spock did not really hate his arc in this film but did not approve of a couple things, Uhura though a stronger presence was not at all progressive, Cumberbatch I thought did well with what he was given but should have been someone else aside from Khan. Perhaps a new augment human giving the hint that Khan was woken up but played by someone else. Admiral Marcus... He was not really threatening but really should have been the villain in this film not Khan. The rest had good bits but did next to nothing in this film..

The death scene was I felt was good but my qualms with it more in lie with build up as it in the end amounts to nothing.

But I did not hate the film. It did a lot visually and some in story and characters for me not to hate it.

So for me as a Star Trek movie it is more of 6.5 out of 10..

Scifi Action film: 7 out of 10.
Captain
# 15
08-21-2013, 04:02 PM
good action movie, but no movie for 30+ star trek fans

it's a movie for a new generation of star trek fans, not for the hardcore trekkers. It definately has the power to spark interest into star trek with young folks, but the general over 30 "convention goer" is dissapointed with the lack of lore accuracy and absence of science.

but i think jj abrams was fully aware that he was making a movie for people that were not already sold on star trek...those 10% of movie goers isn't a market to capitalize on anyway.

general audiance has certain expectations, and those were fullfilled.
during the 2 hours in the cinema i was never bored, which is something i can't say about the rest of all star trek movies.

bringing khan into the film was something to connect the already star trek semi fans that had seen earlier films with the movie...and quite frankly the khan character is one of the most recognised nemesis of the franchise thanks to the "khaaaaaan!!" going viral on the internet.
was only logical to get this into the movie from a writers and producers point of view...brand recognition!
Go pro or go home
Captain
# 16
08-21-2013, 04:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ensigndrake1 View Post
Please rate the new movie
9/10

I like it just as much as TWOK and the other good TOS movies. IMO, it's EASILY better than STV and all the TNG movies.

I'm still Romulus_Prime. Joined STO in January 2010.
Captain
# 17
08-21-2013, 04:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by baudl View Post
good action movie, but no movie for 30+ star trek fans
I really don't understand why people presume to speak for others - Strongly disagree with this implication. I've been a Trek fan since 1975 and liked both the JJ movies.

I'm still Romulus_Prime. Joined STO in January 2010.
Captain
# 18
08-21-2013, 04:29 PM
same... I was born when ToS was on the air primetime ....

and was very entertained and enjoyed 'rediscovering' the beloved original characters with the latest 2 movies.
Lt. Commander
# 19
08-21-2013, 05:21 PM
4/10

There is a fine line between paying homage to another movie and simply ripping it off. This movie crossed that line.

To me the JJ movies scream "I must make a Star Trek movie. But I don't really want to make a Star Trek movie. So I do everything different. First of all I want an awesome ship like a Star Destroyer! What, there is an older ship I must copy for it to be Star Trek? WTF, it looks like a plastic duck. Okey wait, I'll just add TONS AND TONS AND TONS of lights and moving parts to it!
Now for a cool alien race I want evil space orcs from HELL!!!! What, I must include Klikons? Kwigwons? Oh Klingons, what the hell are those? God they look horrible, I want orcs in my movie like in LOTR! Okey I'll just make them look like evil space orcs, and call them Klingons!
Prime Directive? WTH people I can't take all these silly restrictions into consideration when I'm copying...err writing... the script. Okey, tell you what, I'll sacrifice 5 minutes of my movie to show the crew breaking the prime directive! That'll show those Trek fans!"

i.e. I'm not a big fan.

Last edited by lord7tareq; 08-21-2013 at 05:25 PM.
Survivor of Romulus
# 20
08-21-2013, 05:41 PM
"good action movie, but no movie for 30+ star trek fans

it's a movie for a new generation of star trek fans, not for the hardcore trekkers. It definately has the power to spark interest into star trek with young folks, but the general over 30 "convention goer" is dissapointed with the lack of lore accuracy and absence of science."

As a "30+ star trek fan", I must ask you stick to how you feel about it and let the rest of us speak for ourselves. I've been watching trek since I was a kid (TOS reruns), all the shows, all the movies (though I can't say I've ever done a convention)...

And I have found the last two movies to be a welcome surprise. If lore inaccuracy is the price to be paid for an excuse to write new Kirk and Spock movies, then I'm all for it. I honestly can't get too worked up over any of that, i don't think it's the point of Star Trek.

I'd give STID 8/10. I am not sure how to compare it to the original movies, but I certainly like it better than all the TNG movies.

I do agree that it is the best Star Trek movie for non-trekkers (even my mom and sister liked it), but in no way does that diminish it for me. It manages the tough task of bringing in newcomers and satisfying old fans admirably, IMHO.