Lt. Commander
# 1 Sci Vesta build advice
08-21-2013, 05:59 AM
Ok so this is my first sci character after a year of flying Tacs, and I need some advice on the build (i have not started any reps yet as i just hit VA).

I decided to go for a vesta running cannons/turrets as the native subsystem targeting ability causes cooldown delays on beam abilities.

Mostly I PVE and its doing well as a probe or nanite sphere blocker on ISE and KASE, but when I took it into a 1vs1 PVP with a VA flyng a defiant refit I could hold him and sap his shields but he would get them back up before I could do any real damage to his hull.
I managed to hang in the firefight for maybe 5-10 minutes before he finally killed me when I ran out of heals.

Here is my setup:

Fore weapons:
Tetryon Beam Bank Mk XII [CrtD]x2
Tetryon Dual Heavy Cannons Mk XII [Acc] [Dmg]
Photon Torpedo Launcher Mk XII [Dmg]
Aft weapons:
Tetryon Turret Mk XII [Acc]x2

Deflector
Positron Deflector Array Mk XII [PrtG]
Engine
Combat Impulse Engines Mk XII [Aux] [Full] [Spd]
Warp Core
Overcharged Warp Core Mk XI [EPS] [SSS]
Shield
Covariant Shield Array Mk XII [Reg]

[Console - Engineering - Neutronium Alloy Mk X]
[Console - Engineering - Neutronium Alloy Mk X]

[Console - Science - Particle Generator Mk XII]
[Console - Science - Flow Capacitor Mk XII]
[Console - Science - Power Insulator Mk XII]
[Console - Science - Emitter Array Mk XII]
[Console - Universal - Sympathetic Fermion Transceiver]

[Console - Tactical - Tetryon Pulse Generator Mk XII]

Hanger
Advanced delta flyer

LT COMMANDER UNI
HAZARD EMITTER I, TRANSFER SHIELD II, TRACTOR BEAM REPULSORS II

ENSIGN UNIVERSAL
TAC TEAM I

LT TAC
TORP SPREAD 1, CANNON SCATTER I

LT ENGY
EMERGENCY POWER TO SHIELDS I, AUX TO STRUCTURAL I

COMMANDER SCI
TACHYON BEAM I, SCI TEAM II, GRAVITY WELL I, VIRAL MATRIX III
Survivor of Romulus
# 2
08-21-2013, 08:56 PM
OK for PVP get at least Advanced Danubes with the intent to have Yellowstones. Believe me the Chronitons and Tractor Beams help/annoy more than you can know. They are also a bit tougher than fighters. I've heard the Delta's even at Elite aren't worth it.

If you have Flow Caps and Subspace Decompiler skills (to support Viral) run Phased Polarons to get the most bang for your buck, System Drain and random offlines. Run 2 DHC's and a DBB or Torpedo. Not much point running 1 of each. Give up subsystem or Torpedoes. If you have the DOFFs to make a single TT1 be ready every 15s run a Torpedo skill, otherwise it may be better to go all DHC's.

I like your BOFF layout but I'd do Science differently. Also your going to want a PVP Commander and a PVE Commander.

PVP
Transfer Shield Strength 1 > Tractor Beam Repulsors 1 > Energy Siphon 2 > Viral Matrix 3
Polarise Hull 1 > Hazard Emmiters 2 > Energy Siphon 2
Oh and for your Tac
Tac Team 1 x2 (unless you have DOFFs) and Cannon Rapid Fire

PVE
Transfer Shield Strength 1 > Tractor Beam Repulsors 1 > Charged Particle Burst 2 > Gravity Well 3
Polarise Hull 1 > Hazard Emmiters 2 > Energy Siphon 2
Tac Team 1 x2 (unless you have DOFFs) and Cannon Scatter Volley

Get the Plasmonic Leech Console, and the Assimilated, you probably intended to get it anyway but it does take time. This ship relies on running the Energy Siphon to get more weapons power with 25/75/25/75 layout. In PVE 75/25/25/75 might be safe.

Your ship has 2 Shield & 2 Hull heals both with an Instant and a HoT effect, it also has a way out of Tractor Beams. I recommend the Borg set or the JH set if you do go with Polarons. And yes Polarons are better than Tetryons unless you hate purple. Polarised Disruptors are also nice. I realise I am suggesting expensive Hybrid weapons. But any Polarons in the short term upgrading to better in the longterm is the idea.
I was once DKnight1000, apparently I had taken my own name so now I'm DKnight0001.
If I ask you a question it is not an insult but a genuine attempt to understand why.
When I insult you I won't be discreet about it, I will be precise and to the point stupid.