Captain
# 11
08-21-2013, 09:23 AM
1) The nerve pinch makes much more sense in my mind than a punch in the face. Vulcan was developing nuclear weapons when Humans were still working out how to keep an edge on metal; it's only reasonable to suppose that their hand-to-hand combat techniques were similarly advanced. (And even after the Reformation, they might well still study the old techniques as an aid to meditation, similarly to the students of certain martial arts on Earth.)

2) "Gary Seven and the Augments" would be a kickass band name.
-------------------------------------------

When I make you breakfast in bed, a simple "thank you" is all I need. Not all this "who are you and how did you get into my house" nonsense.
Captain
# 12
08-21-2013, 10:23 AM
Nimoy had such a better understanding of Spock than everyone else.
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.
Lt. Commander
# 13
08-21-2013, 02:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hevach View Post
Spock taught it to Kirk, though he failed when he tried to do it. McCoy attempted it while he was carrying Spock's katra but failed - his failure was blamed on his arthritis. As for non-vulcans who did succeed: Picard did it successfully a couple times, first in Starship Mine. Odo did it in Paradise Lost, and Seven of Nine did it several times.
Archer did it as well when carrying the Katra of Surak
Career Officer
# 14
08-21-2013, 02:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by centersolace View Post
Nimoy had such a better understanding of Spock than everyone else.
Yup.

/10char

"Freedom is just a pretty idea unless it's backed by Force."

The Masterverse Timeline / Ten Forward Fanfics
Captain
# 15
08-21-2013, 03:03 PM
all depends on which species is dominant at the time....Spock battled with Vulcan and human all the time....and each species dominated him at different points in time.

it wasnt too often that there was a median balance.

Captain
# 16
08-21-2013, 03:47 PM
Whatever Vulcans do is potentially awesome.

Whether you have Spock with his nerve pinch, mind melds, or attempts at humor, it's all good.

OR

Whether you have Mirror Universe Spock, and just beating the living crap out of the entire crew, speak in logical but threatening tones, and most of all... sporting that awesome goatee.
Captain
# 17
08-22-2013, 01:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hevach View Post
Spock taught it to Kirk, though he failed when he tried to do it. McCoy attempted it while he was carrying Spock's katra but failed - his failure was blamed on his arthritis. As for non-vulcans who did succeed: Picard did it successfully a couple times, first in Starship Mine. Odo did it in Paradise Lost, and Seven of Nine did it several times.

I remember Bones's failed attempt, but figured since he was human and failed, it didn't count. Though if it is just a special nerve ending abuse, I guess that doesn't make sense, so yeah, his arthritis makes sense.

Picard is understandable, since he had a full mind meld with Sarek and Spock, so it makes sense there is some latent knowledge lurking around (Sarek did say a part of him would always be with Picard now).

Seven.... I really don't remember her using it, but I can kinda.... sorta accept. Vulcans were assimilated, so it stands to reason the knowledge of how to do it would be in the collective, and thus Seven knows how to do it. Still..... it does dilute the specialness of the attack.

Odo has no excuse though.

A Romulan Strike Team, Missing Farmers and an ancient base on a Klingon Border world. But what connects them? Find out in my First Foundary mission: 'The Jeroan Farmer Escapade'
Captain
# 18
08-22-2013, 04:37 AM
There should have been a Vulcan kick to knock people out.

Seriously, I am glad it went the way of the pinch, it makes for better drama.
Captain
# 19
08-22-2013, 04:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by robeasom View Post
I personally like the nerve pinch as a violent vulcan would have been out of place. Plus it looks alien so with that and the mind meld you can believe Vulcans are very different to us.

It's now one of the most iconic Vulcan things similar to the vulcan hand salute
a violent vulcan is a romulan XD
Starfleet Veteran
# 20
08-22-2013, 05:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by grylak View Post
I remember Bones's failed attempt, but figured since he was human and failed, it didn't count. Though if it is just a special nerve ending abuse, I guess that doesn't make sense, so yeah, his arthritis makes sense.

Picard is understandable, since he had a full mind meld with Sarek and Spock, so it makes sense there is some latent knowledge lurking around (Sarek did say a part of him would always be with Picard now).

Seven.... I really don't remember her using it, but I can kinda.... sorta accept. Vulcans were assimilated, so it stands to reason the knowledge of how to do it would be in the collective, and thus Seven knows how to do it. Still..... it does dilute the specialness of the attack.

Odo has no excuse though.
Seven did it first in The Raven.

Odo has the same excuse as Data - both have superior strength and much better motor control than most humanoids, Odo has talked about how his body works and how humanoid bodies are put together almost as if its a hobby.

It's clearly just a pressure point, nothing requiring touch telepathy as Nimoy originally stated. On Voyager, the Doctor even managed to detect the nerve trauma from a botched pinch.

It's never made entirely clear why it's so difficult for non-Vulcans to do it if it doesn't involve telepathy. For that matter, it's never really made clear why it works at all - several human martial arts are well aware of pressure points in the shoulder, but none of them can cause unconsciousness, only extreme pain and temporary (often less temporary) paralysis.