Captain
# 21
08-21-2013, 03:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drogyn1701 View Post
To paraphrase Winston Churchill: "A hater is someone who won't change his mind and won't change the subject."
If he had lived during the internet age he would have had a great blog.
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.
Captain
# 22
08-21-2013, 08:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonjaa View Post
I always felt Trek movies missed the boat because they could have easily been two-hour episodes on TV and none would know the wiser. I always felt Trek failed at taking advantage of the big screen medium.
I would certainly agree with you regarding many of the movies, especially Insurrection, but I must disagree when considering The Wrath of Khan. I also feel The Undiscovered Country was more big screen than little.
Captain
# 23
08-21-2013, 08:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jam3s1701 View Post
**Yawn

** Does a youtube search to rewatch Red Letter Media's reviews of the TNG movies.

I'm still Romulus_Prime. Joined STO in January 2010.
Rihannsu
# 24
08-22-2013, 08:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by topset View Post
I think there's a huge distinction to be made here.

There's a huge difference between "Good space action adventure film" and "Good star trek film"

JJ's trek films are certainly great action adventure flicks, they're well written and produced (minus all the lensflares) they have a good story and are generally speaking excellent pieces of literature.

But...

And it's a big but (heh), they don't feel like Star Trek to me. That means, I don't perceive them as good star trek films. If they had called it: "Trek Wars: Into Darkness" and had a different (new) IP, we would all love it.

But they didn't, they blew up Vulcan, pissed on the canon and alienated the original cult fanbase in order to get a new wider fanbase.
I don't feel alienated, and I started watching Star Trek with TAS.

Seriously, I think that if Gene could have made TOS with modern special effects and an equally large budget he would have made something very similar to the new movies. Not EXACTLY the same, but similar.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Captain
# 25
08-22-2013, 09:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by markhawkman View Post
....Seriously, I think that if Gene could have made TOS with modern special effects and an equally large budget he would have made something very similar to the new movies. Not EXACTLY the same, but similar.
he 'did' in fact say the following to support what you just said:

" I would have thought that having reached this point it would be fun to go back to the years in which Kirk first got the Enterprise, and met these people. Nothing would please me more than to have Star Trek come back years in the future, and bright young people and new stars and so on really make it something, and have them say ' that's better than Roddenberrys '. I'd like that. "

-Gene Roddenberry

(using this quote a lot lately, because it is very relevant to the militant 'canon non-evolution' argument some are clinging to):
Rihannsu
# 26
08-22-2013, 09:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgta1967 View Post
he 'did' in fact say the following to support what you just said:

" I would have thought that having reached this point it would be fun to go back to the years in which Kirk first got the Enterprise, and met these people. Nothing would please me more than to have Star Trek come back years in the future, and bright young people and new stars and so on really make it something, and have them say ' that's better than Roddenberrys '. I'd like that. "

-Gene Roddenberry

(using this quote a lot lately, because it is very relevant to the militant 'canon non-evolution' argument some are clinging to):
It's a good quote.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Captain
# 27
08-22-2013, 04:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgta1967 View Post
"Star Trek Into Darkness" grossed just under half a billion dollars worldwide and currently holds a 87 percent Fresh rating on Rotten Tomatoes. Yet during a "Star Trek" fan convention in Las Vegas earlier this month, attendees ranked "Star Trek Into Darkness" as the worst of the Star Trek movies. (As someone who owns "Star Trek V: The Final Frontier" on DVD, I promise it is far from the worst "Star Trek" movie.)"

-Huffpost

the stuck in the mud trek nerds can say what they want.....but the movie proved itself, it kicked butt.
so if you take in to account inflation erm its actually the 4th biggest trek film.. do the math :-D
. . . . . . . . Insert witty content. . . . . .
Captain
# 28
08-22-2013, 05:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jam3s1701 View Post
so if you take in to account inflation erm its actually the 4th biggest trek film.. do the math :-D
And still quite successful, thus making future Trek productions much more probable due to people INVESTING money into the franchise. Same can't be said of Nemesis or Enterprise.

Do the math...

I'm still Romulus_Prime. Joined STO in January 2010.
Lieutenant
# 29
08-27-2013, 07:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kain9prime View Post
And still quite successful, thus making future Trek productions much more probable due to people INVESTING money into the franchise. Same can't be said of Nemesis or Enterprise.

Do the math...
Nemesis made me happy and sad at the same time. I liked enterprise, until the theme music started playing, i always fast forward past that on netflix.
Lt. Commander
# 30
08-27-2013, 07:19 AM
Just gotta love Honest Trailers <3<3<3

T'Pwn Vulcan, Mobius Temporal Destroyer ~ Lyrion Tannister Alien, Tholian Recluse Carrier - "Hear me roar!"