Commander
I know, I know "go watch X tutorial and figure it out" but its really my only question, and I couldn't find anything that explained it.

I've seen a lot of foundry missions where you can talk to an NPC contact, but the dialogue doesn't have any connection to the advancement of the story. It also never goes away, so you can basically speak to an NPC Contact, complete all the dialogue options, and it will have no effect on the story, and it won't disappear upon completion. How do I replicate this?
More anything?
"MORE EVERYTHING!"
-Jerry Seinfeld on Star Trek Online Content

Foundry Works: Uncharted
Survivor of Romulus
# 2
08-22-2013, 06:46 AM
This is what is called "default dialogue"

Select the npc. Down on the bottom menu there should be under one of the tabs a check box that says "has default dialogue." Once you check that a spot to put in the dialogue will appear right under the check box. With it should be an "advanced dialogue" button that will take you to the dialogue editor screen so you can make the conversation branch out more if you wish.
The Foundry Roundtable live Wednesdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
"I would rather take a chance on getting a change made to the game through positive engagement than know for sure that I got a change made by complaining" -drogyn1701, May 14, 2014.
Commander
# 3
08-22-2013, 06:59 AM
Many Thanks!
More anything?
"MORE EVERYTHING!"

Career Officer
# 4
08-22-2013, 09:24 AM
FYI you can do this with detail objects too!

Check out my Foundry missions:
Standalone - The Great Escape - The Galaxy's Fair - Purity I: Of Denial - Return to Oblivion
The Defenders - Duritanium Man - The Improbable Bulk - [WIP] Commander Rihan
Career Officer
# 5
08-22-2013, 04:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drogyn1701 View Post
This is what is called "default dialogue"

Select the npc. Down on the bottom menu there should be under one of the tabs a check box that says "has default dialogue." Once you check that a spot to put in the dialogue will appear right under the check box. With it should be an "advanced dialogue" button that will take you to the dialogue editor screen so you can make the conversation branch out more if you wish.
The only caveat to this method is that the interact button text will always be "Interact" and is non-editable.

There is another way to do this which doesn't have that restriction (a method I just figured out last week, much to my delight, as it allows me to redesign the first map of "Ghosts of War, Part I" as a puzzle, the way I originally intended it to be ). Here's how:

1) Drag/drop a Popup Dialog object onto your map. (That's right; PD isn't just for the storyboard. That's what I never realized until now.) It doesn't really matter where on the map you put it - in fact there aren't even any X/Y/Z fields to fine-tune its position - but for obvious reasons I'd recommend putting it close to the object or NPC you'll be associating it with.

2) Select the PD in the object list for the map (on the left-hand side under Maps), then click its States tab, and set the PD to become visible on a Component Complete of the desired object.

3) Go back to the map object list, select the object you just used for Component Complete, and click its Triggers tab. The button text field is here, and unlike the "default dialogue" method above, it is actually editable. You can also edit the interact animation here.

4) Select the PD object again, click the General tab and add whatever text you want in it. (This tab works pretty much exactly like a PD object in the storyboard.)
Career Officer
# 6
08-22-2013, 04:18 PM
Did you quote the wrong post?

Anyways I get what you're saying, I used the "object" default dialogue in my last mission and a bunch of people commented in reviews that it looked like I forgot to name the interacts.

There's pros and cons to both ways though.

The way you describe causes the interact to only work once. If you use the default text for an object it acts the same way as an NPC where you can do the same dialogue over and over again (or even include changes via button triggers!)

Check out my Foundry missions:
Standalone - The Great Escape - The Galaxy's Fair - Purity I: Of Denial - Return to Oblivion
The Defenders - Duritanium Man - The Improbable Bulk - [WIP] Commander Rihan
Commander
# 7
08-23-2013, 06:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxfederatica View Post
The only caveat to this method is that the interact button text will always be "Interact" and is non-editable.
noooooooooooooo........................
More anything?
"MORE EVERYTHING!"

Survivor of Romulus
# 8
08-23-2013, 06:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxfederatica View Post

There is another way to do this which doesn't have that restriction (a method I just figured out last week, much to my delight, as it allows me to redesign the first map of "Ghosts of War, Part I" as a puzzle, the way I originally intended it to be ). Here's how:

1) Drag/drop a Popup Dialog object onto your map. (That's right; PD isn't just for the storyboard. That's what I never realized until now.) It doesn't really matter where on the map you put it - in fact there aren't even any X/Y/Z fields to fine-tune its position - but for obvious reasons I'd recommend putting it close to the object or NPC you'll be associating it with.

2) Select the PD in the object list for the map (on the left-hand side under Maps), then click its States tab, and set the PD to become visible on a Component Complete of the desired object.

3) Go back to the map object list, select the object you just used for Component Complete, and click its Triggers tab. The button text field is here, and unlike the "default dialogue" method above, it is actually editable. You can also edit the interact animation here.

4) Select the PD object again, click the General tab and add whatever text you want in it. (This tab works pretty much exactly like a PD object in the storyboard.)
^^ This is what i've been saying in my reviews . Will link to this post (if you don't mind) the next time I find these "Interacts" in other missions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorbane View Post
Did you quote the wrong post?

Anyways I get what you're saying, I used the "object" default dialogue in my last mission and a bunch of people commented in reviews that it looked like I forgot to name the interacts.

There's pros and cons to both ways though.

The way you describe causes the interact to only work once. If you use the default text for an object it acts the same way as an NPC where you can do the same dialogue over and over again (or even include changes via button triggers!)
Aye, it's another matter if it needs to be reused.. Maybe pitching this to Frost?
^^ I am Stoutes, and I approve of my message ^^

Last edited by stoutes; 08-23-2013 at 06:55 AM.