Captain
# 21
08-23-2013, 10:35 AM
I would love to have a mission like the "Tau Dewa Sector Patrol" daily in the Gamma Orionis Sector Block where you can earn Omega Marks by patrolling systems and fighting off the Borg and the Undine. That would be a lot more appealing to me than running the same tired STFs over and over again.
"It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid."
-- Q
Community Moderator
# 22
08-23-2013, 11:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordhavelock View Post
Offer Marks to Vice Admirals from All Missions. There are more story-missions than necessary to make it to VA. This is especially true with Feds, but even KDF and Romulans can get to VA before completing their stories. My Rom Alt got to VA before even getting to Nimbus III, and is only just now fighting the Elachi. I only wish I had time to run the Story missions and still be able to Rep-Level. So! Existing content like Story-missions, PvP, Patrols, Events, Foundry, Explorations, maybe even DOffing, etc... All content available to End Game characters should award End Game resources. I get it, the goal of the Rep System is to keep players visiting every day! I think they'd be more willing to do so if they got to play whatever they wanted. Drop a Multi-Mark box at the end of any given mission and be done (20-40 Marks of any time, amount varies by mission).
Totally agree! But I think the marks granted should be specific to the mission.

Quote:
Resource Discount: For each character that reaches T5, other characters on the account get a cumulative resource discount for that Rep, perhaps 5%. For example: when our first character gets to T5 in Omega, our other characters get 5% off their Omega project costs (marks, dil, commodities, etc.), when another gets to T5 the rest get 10% off, etc. If you get four T5 Nukara Rep toons, your other alts get 20% off Nukara resources. And so on. The more toons you have, the higher discount rate you get. If necessary, put a cap, but it should be high like 50-80%. I mean to get an 80% discount means you've Rep-leveled 16 characters to T5... You deserve the break.
I can't see Cryptic setting the discounts that high. I could see them doing something like 2% per tier, up to 10% max and getting the account-wide discount based on the highest tier any of your characters have achieved in a given Rep.

Otherwise, I like the idea.

Quote:
XP Grant: The first time you have a toon reach T5 in a given Rep, each of your other characters get a one time 15,000-32,500 Rep XP windfall. This means if you start a new character they will already be at T2 or T3. An existing character with partial rep, just gets an automatic bump, that many XP. Maybe there's a special project with nominal inputs that could be run to unlock the boon, but it should be no more than the equivalent fees for buying a Tier.
I'd love it if they did this, but can't see them doing this. At best, nobody should get a bump that takes them past T1. Also, can't do for new characters because new characters aren't level 50 and can't participate in the Rep system. {sad}

Quote:
Make Rep Gear Account-Bound: This would allow one T5 character to purchase Special Items, Set Pieces, and Mk XII gear, and then share it with other alts on the same account. This is similar to how the Pre-F2P Emblem system worked, one Vice Admiral could gear-out others. If an Alt wants the powers, accolades, mission and costume unlocks, and other rewards of a given Rep, they will still have to complete the Rep.
I think some Rep Gear could be Account-Bound. Not T-5 stuff, though, and maybe not T-4.

It's important to note the cumulative nature of these suggestions if they were all implemented. Faster advancement coupled with account level access to Rep gear takes a lot of effort out of the system. Maybe too much. They need to hold something back, but I agree that they could give players with alts some kind of a break.
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online forums -- My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a "forums and website" support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
Captain
# 23
08-23-2013, 12:33 PM
I have an idea (don't know if it was mentioned already, didn't read through the entire thread). What if you get a small bonus of fleet marks if you run a mission as a team, the amount of marks increasing a little bit with the more team members you have?
Quote:
Originally Posted by askray View Post
YAY I'M EVOLVED! *drools on his chin*
Quote:
Originally Posted by voporak View Post
Welcome to the STO forums, where the evolutionary clock ticks backwards.
Empire Veteran
# 24
08-23-2013, 12:54 PM
Quote:
I have an idea (don't know if it was mentioned already, didn't read through the entire thread). What if you get a small bonus of fleet marks if you run a mission as a team, the amount of marks increasing a little bit with the more team members you have?
We talking story missions or queues?
King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride.
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...1#post13990891
Rihannsu
# 25
08-23-2013, 12:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycoticvulcan View Post
I would love to have a mission like the "Tau Dewa Sector Patrol" daily in the Gamma Orionis Sector Block where you can earn Omega Marks by patrolling systems and fighting off the Borg and the Undine...
Sure, I'd love that too. Likewise a Nukara-Mark Patrol would be great... So would Normal/Elite STF-like missions for Nukara and Romulan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegeek View Post
Totally agree! But I think the marks granted should be specific to the mission.
I think you mean like adding Romulan Marks to the Romulan-themed Story missions, Omega Marks to Borg-themed, and so on. This would be fine, too. But consider, it's easy enough to explain an "all available" option RP-wise... After my awesome victories against the Borg in the Gamma Orion missions, D'Tan feels his Republic is safer with me around and improves my Rom Rep (ie I get Rom Marks for Borg missions).

Quote:
I can't see Cryptic setting the discounts that high... Otherwise, I like the idea.
You're probably right, but I was mostly just putting an example number out there. Whether they gave a discount to alts per tier of the source character, or only for those that complete reps, either is fine, but the latter seems to make more sense to me.

Quote:
I'd love it if they did this, but can't see them doing this. At best, nobody should get a bump that takes them past T1. Also, can't do for new characters because new characters aren't level 50 and can't participate in the Rep system. {sad}
It got to be enough XP to at least get to T2. T1 is nothing.

And of course it would be for new toons. There are several ways they could implement it: The XP Grant is awarded only when the new toon reaches L50. It's awarded upon creation (say through an account-accolade) in a box that can't opened until L50. Maybe it's awarded immediately, and is viewable in the Rep screen, but the Rep UI just remains greyed-out/inactive until L50 (as it is now, I believe).

Quote:
I think some Rep Gear could be Account-Bound. Not T-5 stuff, though, and maybe not T-4.
A few posters have put forth that Mk XII gear should not be sharable, and that in fact would give reason to still get Mk X or XI (to share amongst alts).

Quote:
It's important to note the cumulative nature of these suggestions if they were all implemented. Faster advancement coupled with account level access to Rep gear takes a lot of effort out of the system. Maybe too much. They need to hold something back, but I agree that they could give players with alts some kind of a break.
I will go back and double-check my phrasing, but I really didn't intend for all of the Alt-Friendly suggestions to be used at once... They were just different options. Cryptic could pick either/or/any as they like, and I'd be satisfied...

I agree, all the Rep Rewards are too valuable to just immediately grant account-wide Rep access to all alts once a Rep is completed on one. Some work on each toon should be required. Absolutely. But if they could discount the grind, and/or start alts at T2-3, and/or let us share some of the Rep goodies (like gear) amongst our toons... Any one/combo of these solutions would help make the Rep System more Alt Friendly.

Thanks again everyone for the continued discussion!

Last edited by lordhavelock; 08-23-2013 at 01:00 PM.
Rihannsu
# 26
08-23-2013, 01:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkrik23 View Post
Quote:
We talking story missions or queues?
Well, mostly the thread is about the Reputation System, not so much the Fleet System, but adding more Fleet Mark sources to the game for either story or queue missions... Hmmm...

Should there be a way for the system to determine if you're teamed with Fleet Members in order to get the FMs? Or you just want them no matter who you're teamed with?

Generally I think if they could do the former, I'm for it, but non-Fleet Team-ups? Not so much.

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Original Join Date: Feb 2010.
Need Help with Ship's Power? Check out my Ship Power Guide and Calculator.
Lt. Commander
# 27
08-25-2013, 11:27 AM
i agree that something should be done about the reputation system, it's too much grind in the case of several alts and not fun.

i would add a suggestion in the case of a mission that granted a box with choose mark (as suggested 20-40 , it would grant additional +10 overall for 1 extra team mate and +5 for each subsequent team mate)
yes, more people are supposed to make it easier, but the mission gets more NPC's when done by more than 1 player.
(so it would be 20+10+5+5+5 up to 40+10+5+5+5)

it would be an incentive to group missions, group fun = more people looking to play with other = more fun = more players.
Survivor of Romulus
# 28
08-25-2013, 04:25 PM
i too agree

the auto fill in feature made me drool
Commander
# 29
08-25-2013, 06:40 PM
I have an even better questions for all of you.

What does Cryptic have to loose if they overhaul the Rep System?

I ask this because so many threads are complaining about the rep system (for years now), yet every month another gimmick is released.

I suspect Cryptic's not going to overhaul it so that everyone won't convert Dilithium to Zen. They know that if they flat out remove the Dilithium exchange they would loose thousands of players in a week. So instead they keep coming up with ways to take Dilithium in exchange for gear/weapons/ etc.
Captain
# 30
08-25-2013, 11:28 PM
I would be happy if they eliminated the marks and made those XP that is applied to the rep as you level and not have any projects for leveling rep. Have the amount of rep that can be gained daily limited to what we can do now so there is still a time gate, but overflow goes to the next days rep automaticaly. Once a tier is reached have the player do a special mission that unlocks the next level. Romulan rep already has the special missions that can be used. No clicky clicky boring projects that get annoying by t2 and makes you want to puke when you are 4k rep from t5.

For buying rep gear you slot the project as normal and it diverts rep XP to that project and a small amount to rep on completion.

Once T5 is achieved rep can still be earned and turned in for gear or dilithium as we do now and accumulates like marks do. BUT you can also transfer that extra rep XP to a lvl 50 alt to assist that one with rep. Transfering extra rep XP from 1 character to another would not hurt the time gate for leveling Cryptic wants because it still requires the same amount of time just not the time spent on each character.

As for making the story missions apply rep XP as suggested by the OP, also make the species you kill apply as well so if you kill a tholian on New Romulas you get a small amount of Nukara rep for killing a tholian. Kill a Tal Shiar in a foundry mission you get Romulan rep. maybe 10 kills of the lowest ranking ones makes 1 mark equivelant and 1 boss level equals 1 mark. Not a whole lot at once but over time and playing it will add up to something. Small enough amount that doing foundry farm for the XP would be a waste of time because doing a quick repeat story mission or queueing up would give far more.
"I'm drunk, whats your excuse for being an idiot?" - Unknown drunk man.